Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 01:32

Plan: Protein power
Stats: 230/218/175 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Potassium problem

I started on PP A little more than two weeks ago. I started dropping weight very steadily: 8 pounds the first week; 4 the second. I realize that a large chunk of that was water weight (yes, it was all the peeing that clued me in). Made a conscious choice to not workout for the first two weeks. I had the fatigue that one hears about so I didn't take that too seriously, but something kind of strange happened too. I started getting strange cramps in muscles that usually didn't cramp before. For example, I was stopped at a long red light and my foot on the brake pedal started to cramp. The bigger muscles seamd less likely to cramp but are certainly more fatigued then they should be given my current lack of activity status.

Sounds like a potassium defficiency, right? So I get a potassium suppliment and it rips my gut up, making me yearn for the good ole days of lactose intolerence. I have tried to take half a pill at a time. It works a little better but unless you take with a full meal or take two half pills too close in time together, then I am back in the bathroom. But, wait there is more. Apparently the amount I can manage to choke down is not effective for unfatiguing the muscle, but it is enough to start me retaining water again as I gained three pounds with no variation of diet.

The potassium is NatureMade Potassium gluconate for 90mg of postassium.

Any ideas? Is there anything I can take with the supplement to buffer it's effect? Tums? Probably too many carbs. Will this eventually normalize as my body gets used to the lack of carbs and the increase in hydration?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-09, 10:18

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Potassium pills are notoriously hard on the digestive system for everyone.

It sounds to me like your electolytes might be awry -- I've even read that lack of SODIUM can be a cause of cramps.

Yes, salt!

Then there is the idea that dehydration brings on cramps.

Personally, I tried everything -- and was shocked that in my case, all I needed was a few iron pills, abandoning a low-meat mainly veggie diet in favor of an Atkins plan relying on large amounts of red meat. I also stopped all caffeine beverages, after I learned that anytime you drink coffee with a meal, 75 percent of the iron isn't absorbed.

Geeesh, I'd always read that iron is BAD for you, I had no idea that some experts claim that almost all coffee drinkers are iron deficient.

There are really alot of different things that can cause leg cramps, but if you are truly set on potassium, the only way I've been able to successfully incorporate that into my diet is to add a teaspoon of CREAM OF TARTAR into anything I bake.

Right now, I'm on low carb, and I can't eat flaxseed MIMs, so I can't do that - I'm not baking anything.

Cream of Tartar is potassium from GRAPES.

I have no idea what the carb count is, but I've read that it definitely contains carbohydrates, so better check first.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 10:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Food sources for potassium are always better absorbed with few side effects. A home-made potassium broth is one of my staples. Tip: You can make some spinach (boiled, curried, etc.) and strain, then reserve the leftover water for part of your broth water, which boosts the potassium content.

But eating your potassium doesn't guarantee that you will absorb it. Potassium needs magnesium to transport potassium into the cell. So, eat some high-magnesium food (coconut milk qualifies) or take a magnesium citrate (or citrate-malate) supplement along with your potassium-rich food. I do both.

Moreover, you need to be concerned about keeping the 4 basic electrolytes in balance:
  • Magnesium-potassium: 2:1
  • Calcium-magnesium: 2:1
  • potassium-sodium: 2:1

I suggest using FitDay for awhile to quantify your intake of basic minerals until you work out a food plan that gives you the right amounts and ratios.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 07:39

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

What about Lo-Salt ?

I usually get that as it is mainly potassium and I figure with all that bacon I am getting more than enough sodium
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 18:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Lo-salt, which is just potassium chloride, leaves an unpleasant, metallic aftertaste in my mouth. I can use it in small amounts, but not enough to make a significant dent for my potassium needs.

That's not to say everyone will experience this; so lo-salt away, if you can.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 11:53
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/209/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 35%

As suggested in the Eades new book (6 week cure) I am taking 400 mcg of potassium per day (2 in the morning, 2 at dinner) - I also take a really good calcium, magnesium supplement (religiously) and all of my cramping has gone away. For me, I would not take additional iron - too much negative research info for me. I eat a lot of red meat, as well as dark leafy vegetables.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 16:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I use powdered potassium gluconate. 1 tsp is like 600 mg. Way better than those pills. Why not just take it with a meal? I put my powder in my shake.