Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#361   ^
Old Mon, May-26-14, 12:51
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummelda
I'm sure you are on top of it but have you talked over your concerns with your doctor, Judy? And parathyroid is so close to the thyroid that the thyroid could be affected ... are you getting your thyroid levels checked? I've had my thyroid removed so stay on top of that all the time.

Thank you hummelda. Yes, I'm on top of it now. I had blood work and will see doctors this week.
I wasn't on top of it until now....because I'm an idiot!
Sponsored Links
  #362   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 17:04
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajack
What it took me a lifetime to understand was "MAINTENANCE" is one of the steps, and as are each of those phases, the last one is as importance as the first.

Just like all the levels in weight loss, when one reaches goal weight, they have to work their weight loss program AS IT'S MEANT TO BE WORKED, in that last phase.

Reaching goal weight is a great achievement, but it ain't the be all and end all. "MAINTENANCE" is what one wants, and is as easy as are the other levels, if we work it in the same way!

This is my battle with myself in losing the weight, putting back on repeatedly over the span of my entire adult life. I've lost literally 100s of pounds over the decades -- I have been 100% successful EVERY single time I decided to lose weight and DIET using A '72 -- what I failed to understand was to follow the REST of the journey! I didn't realize or pretended not to realize that this is a WOE not a diet... diets have an end goal and stop, WOE's end goal is the grave...

I am NEVER EVER going to be a carb eater (well I can be if I want FAT Jo hanging around again). I get that NOW -- don't know what brain cells finally fired to make me realize that. But I REFUSE to REGAIN!! And I solely have that power over what I put in my mouth and I am a control freak so it's going to be easy! **cue "take-over the world" evil villain laugh** Yep, I am going to be an LC WOE Lifer!!!!
  #363   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 17:07
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Okay I think I have finally figured out my threshold for maintenance since I haven't gained or lost a pound in two weeks (1200-1400 kcals & 11-13 carbs daily).

This is the most difficult part but I am going to accomplish this since I've worked so hard to get here.
  #364   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 19:49
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Okay I think I have finally figured out my threshold for maintenance since I haven't gained or lost a pound in two weeks (1200-1400 kcals & 11-13 carbs daily).

This is the most difficult part but I am going to accomplish this since I've worked so hard to get here.

Maintenance is the goal, but the concept both excites me and scares me at the same time. I too have lost and gained back 100's of pounds. I always returned to the one diet that I knew didn't work - the one I was on while gaining all those pounds. I never entertained the idea of low-carb eating for life and never had a good end game for what I would do upon reaching my goal weight. I have a long way to go, but in spite of all my previous failures, I really think that I've learned what I needed to know and I really believe that I am on the path to my goal weight.

I hope you stick around on this site. You are a great inspiration -- seeing what you did for yourself helps keep me motivated. But I also want to follow your progress with maintenance. I want to soak up all I can from you and the others in maintenance that continue to post here. When I get there, I want to be ready.
  #365   ^
Old Thu, May-29-14, 04:33
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Maintenance is the goal, but the concept both excites me and scares me at the same time. I too have lost and gained back 100's of pounds. I always returned to the one diet that I knew didn't work - the one I was on while gaining all those pounds. I never entertained the idea of low-carb eating for life and never had a good end game for what I would do upon reaching my goal weight. I have a long way to go, but in spite of all my previous failures, I really think that I've learned what I needed to know and I really believe that I am on the path to my goal weight.

I hope you stick around on this site. You are a great inspiration -- seeing what you did for yourself helps keep me motivated. But I also want to follow your progress with maintenance. I want to soak up all I can from you and the others in maintenance that continue to post here. When I get there, I want to be ready.

Thanks for the kind words, khrussva!

What's really sad about the situation we have ourselves in, is that we put ourselves there by making poor food choices. I'm not saying some people's weight isn't medical but most of us love to eat and we eat the wrong things. What I love about LC WOE is I can eat when I'm hungry, not like a low calorie diet when once you hit your daily kcal allotment you can't eat any more. I was miserable when I did WW for like 10 days... Have you noticed by reading the boards that a lot of us have portion control issues as well? I could eat all day long...

But my goal here is to stick around and be one of the LC WOE Lifers. Everyone inspires me every day here -- especially with the wisdom the LC WOE Lifers impart on the newbies. I love reading what the lifers are doing to maintain, both the struggles and the successes of every day maintenance -- the most difficult part of this journey!

You can do this khrussva -- I truly believe in self-fulfilling prophecies and that attitude will get you to your goal! I'm over here cheering you onward and downward!!
  #366   ^
Old Thu, May-29-14, 10:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Maintenance - that is really what it's all about, isn't it? I think I'll be okay - I don't really have the experiencing of yo-yo-ing since i've pretty much just watched my weight go up - but I DID lost 40 pounds about 5 years ago doing the Carb Addicts diet and then regain most of it. I lost it fairly quickly - just under 4 months - so I think I was really viewing it as a diet. This time I've been on it so long it actually FEELS like a lifestyle! But I think I scared myself pretty badly - I realize that since I'm not so young anymore (I'm 47) I've really only got one chance at getting this right. I realized a couple years ago that I was going to stay morbidly obese till the end of my life, which would probably be short, and never do another fun thing. For years before that, it was always an idea of "I'll do that when I lose weight" and the assumption that I had a lot of time to do that. I started having visions of dying in my home, and the paramedics being unable to haul me out on a stretcher, or something. I truly believe that if I regain all that weight at this point in my life, I'll never be able to bring myself to try again. So between that knowledge; the fact that I'm already physically able to start having fun again and don't want that to stop; and the fact that "regular or normal" food is now low carb and not what I gave up (did that make sense?) I am very optimistic. I suppose there is also some social pressure- everyone is complimenting me, how embarrassing would it be to gain it all back. I work with a guy like that - he's in the 400's and lost a LOT of weight very quickly, BECAUSE he had a heart attack and was on doctors supervision. He gained it all back just about as quickly (to the point where he needed a motorized scooter to get around the school). That first time, he was a super hero and everyone was talking about it. Then last year he got "the surgery" and lost maybe 100-150...and I see NO ONE is saying anything at all about it to him.
  #367   ^
Old Thu, May-29-14, 12:22
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

2thinchix

I hear you -- every word. I've had some of those morbid thoughts, too. You know you've got one foot in the grave when you start thinking about how many full grown men it will take to carry your casket. I see this as my one final chance, too. It is a motivating factor and I'll take motivation from anywhere I can get it. In the past, I didn't really know how to lose weight and keep it off. Now I think I do. It sounds like you do, too. I'm thinking that you and I are both going to have a longer and healthier life that we once thought possible. You are your own 'super hero'.
  #368   ^
Old Thu, May-29-14, 13:16
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajack

What it took me a lifetime to understand was "MAINTENANCE" is one of the steps, and as are each of those phases, the last one is as importance as the first.

Just like all the levels in weight loss, when one reaches goal weight, they have to work their weight loss program AS IT'S MEANT TO BE WORKED, in that last phase.

Reaching goal weight is a great achievement, but it ain't the be all and end all. "MAINTENANCE" is what one wants, and is as easy as are the other levels, if we work it in the same way!

Maintenance is the last phase of any weight loss. There are other phases to work through as you lose the weight after Induction.
In Atkins its called OWL phase where you add in from the higher rungs of carbs to find your ccl. You do this slowly, 1 new food a week and 5 gram at a time. South Beach allowed me to do it in a different way but I did it none the less. Me? I couldn't wait for my 2 weeks to be over to have some berries.
Why do most people think that if 20 grams a day is good, less must be better? That is not going to be true for everyone. It maybe hold truth if you are insulin resistant. But if you plan on keeping it off, I strongly suggest you work through all the phases after Induction.
  #369   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-15, 12:46

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 275/273/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%
Smile awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpTheHill
I'm mainly in lurk mode on the list now, still maintaining.

Lynda

your amazing
  #370   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-16, 14:05

Plan: atkins/LC
Stats: 275/198/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 59%

I read through many entries on this thread - how very inspirational. Not only the successes, but also the people who are just like me - struggling with yo yo weight loss; sabotaging successes; but still sticking to it. I have been faithfully low carb since Jan 1, 2015, and from that point I have lost a total of 55 pounds. This is not a diet, this is not something that will 'end' (unless I want my weight loss to end too). I simply cannot eat sugary, carby foods. Now if I have a treat, it's a slice or two of pizza - nothing sweet! if I need sweet, I have an Atkins chocolate coconut bar, and only ONE at a time; or an iced coffee with splenda. Treats can't be sugary treats - I'm afraid my brain chemistry will go nuts again and I will eat everything in site. I like this control, and plan to keep it up forever. Thanks to everyone who posts and shares, because even if I don't comment, I ALWAYS appreciate!
  #371   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-16, 12:38

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Since the thread was bumped, I will add that I have maintained my 100 pound weight loss for almost 9 months now. 110 pounds for almost 5 months (the last 10 pounds took 4 months).

For the most part, I have stayed pretty close to the Westman diet. I have added back some lower carb fruits and occasionally have a potato or sweet potato.
  #372   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-18, 23:27

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I am happy to say that as of today I have lost 105 pounds!

I gave up on dieting in 2008. After 35 years of dieting and bingeing my way up to more than 300 pounds, I said, “No more.” I purchased a book about intuitive eating and joined an online support group. I gained another 12 pounds in the first six months which is fairly typical as you let go of the diet mentality and start to heal your relationship with food. After that, I started slowly losing weight, learning to trust my body as to what to eat and when and always eating to the point of satisfaction, only when hungry.

Along the way, I should add that I also worked on improving my thyroid function with supplements. It is very difficult to lose weight if you have a sluggish metabolism.
  #373   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-18, 05:11
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Cathy B, HUGE HUGE Congrats on losing 105 lbs!

Wishing you continued success on your journey to better HEALTH!
  #374   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-18, 05:46

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Sept. 20 2016 below 110 Kg here:

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/daily.txt

Here is my success story that's not a success story, just a story of change so no congratulations needed - simply a product of changing conditions... that can change again...

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478328

I wish you well if losing 100 lbs is meaningful to you. I suppose it's a good arbitrary goal if you live under an imperial unit regime

PS, nice work Cathy B - I love the way you write about your journey in your journal.
  #375   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-18, 06:02

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Sept. 20 2016 below 110 Kg here:

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/daily.txt

Here is my success story that's not a success story, just a story of change so no congratulations needed - simply a product of changing conditions... that can change again...

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478328

I wish you well if losing 100 lbs is meaningful to you. I suppose it's a good arbitrary goal if you live under an imperial unit regime

PS, nice work Cathy B - I love the way you write about your journey in your journal.

Thud - Yes all things come about through causes and conditions but one of those causes can be conscious intention. When it comes to dietary change leading to weight loss usually there needs to be the conscious intent. Now what allows any one of us to develop both the intent and the ability to follow through and others not is another question. I congratulate people less for losing the weight, although definitely a consequence of the choices they have made, and more for improving their health.

In other words, Congratulations Cathy (and you too Thud )