Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-14, 11:16

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Red Light Therapy

Has anyone tried this?

I studied about it and intended to do it for skin/vanity sake. I saw an addendum that some had found it helped with their injuries or chronic pain issues.

I found a tanning salon that offers this type of bed, so I thought I'd give it a go and see if it gave me a more youthful glow.

I started 2.5 weeks ago and from the first day my pain has all but disappeared. Not just the fibro pain, but the arthritis pain in my knee, sciatica, old injuries and soft scar tissue pain. Now, I don't even care about the skin part. I have been virtually pain free from the minute I walked out of the salon the first time until now.

Anyone else tried this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-14, 11:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Keep it up and post about it. I'm always hesitant to try things like this because often people have a placebo effect. Some people have strong placebo effects to thing. However, if it lasts beyond a few months, then it might not be that.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 08:21

Plan: Keto/ProperHumanDiet
Stats: 154.0/120.0/120.0 Female  5'4"
BF:==%
Progress: 100%
Default Hi

Hi Quietone, I haven't tried 'red light therapy' but I get my hair done in a salon that has tanning beds. They acquired a red light therapy bed last year and everyone at the salon has been using it and swears that the red light bed does wonders not only for their skin but for their aches and pains. I also have a friend who has been using it and says she feels better than she has in years although she doesn't really have a specific health issue such as arthritis that she is targeting. I asked the very knowledgeable owner about it and was told that for my fibro/arthritis I would have to use it at least 15 min. a session three times a week, at least at first, and living in the country and it being quite a drive it's a little difficult for me not to mention the cost is a little prohibitive right now. It is something I definitely have on my list to try in the future though. Reading your post gives me hope that there is something out there that could be really helpful for me. Thanks for posting!
Meg
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-14, 14:25

Yes, its a 30 min drive each way for me, but worth it so far. Here, I can get unlimited minutes for 89 a month. I go 15 mins each time, 2-3 times a week right now. I don't recall what their auto membership was, but I'm sure its less. I wanted to just try it out and see what happens.

I also saw a couple sites (can't remember if we can post sites or not) have panels of red lights for sale. A bit of $$ up front, but might be worth it to be able to do at home and every day. I would love to be able to do it in the mornings because I've noticed I sleep more restfully when I do it then instead of after work.

Nancy, I hear ya'. but I don't think this is placebo. I was able to go holiday shopping...in a mall...for the first time in years! No issues at all. Unreal.

I haven't had zero pain since about 1990-ish. Can't recall when the fibro started which was first...then the back, broken bones, knee etc.

I'll post back as time goes on. They say it takes 30-90 days to see the skin repair. Now that seems more of a bonus, but still...I'll take it!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-14, 15:14
Experimenter

BF:

Is this just done on your face, or do you do it all over your body?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-14, 12:18

Default Hi back!

I messaged you...so glad that you're feeling so much better! I'm hearing more and more success stories about this type of therapy and the 'red light bed' at the tanning salon where I get my hair done is just as busy as the tanning beds. I'm very interested.
Meg
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-14, 12:58

LadySage, I don't see a message from you. I imagine as time goes on and people start paying attention everywhere will be busy. FYI, most salons offer a different price if you do automatic billing. Mine is 1/2 the cost if I want to do that, but I haven't run out of my first month yet so I'm not sure what I'll do then.

Nancy, no, I go into a booth just like with regular tanning. You can buy just the face one if what you want to do is about appearance (they have them online), but I wanted to try all over to see what would happen. I truly did not expect anything like this.

i was speaking to the person at the desk today, and she said people have said its also making their hair grow back in and grow faster. ??

I feel like its upping my metabolism as well as I'm losing weight easier, but I thought it was just coincidence.

I hope those that try it find the same relief I am finding. I'll keep my fingers crossed it continues and let you know.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-14, 11:34

Default Hi

Don't know where my message went but oh well...yes, keep me posted on your progress and I'll let you know when I start using the red light bed in my salon...I've talked to too many women with fibro/arthritis issues who are feeling so much better not to try it and even a lady with bad psoriasis which has almost completely cleared up! I'll stay in touch!
Meg
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-15, 15:37

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 230/165/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:

This thread caught my eye. I am not sure if the infrared light I used on my arm is the same as it is a hand held model. I will say I had a nasty cancer tumor removal and it just would not heal. I was told to try the infrared on it and it almost healed before my eyes. No placebo effect. I took pictures of the progress. It was amazing. I should get that thing back out and use it . Even as small as it is I could use it on the most painful spots.

I do hope the bed works for you. I also know some one with lymphedema(spelling) using her at home booth and said it helps her.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 18:55
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

The physical therapist suggested it for plantar fasciitis. Each time I use it (small box thing I set my foot on )the spot is looser and feels better. No miracle cure for me but another tool.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-03-15, 12:34
Experimenter

BF:

Does anyone know of any red light products that work? They're so darned expensive I don't really want to buy one without having it recommended.

I looked into tanning salons with them, but the nearest one is far enough away I know I would not go often enough.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, May-04-15 at 09:30.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-04-15, 08:43

BF:

I bought mine on Ebay. It is hand held so would make you crazy trying to use it all over your body but could be done. I just bought it for my arm. I have used it on my knee for soreness and it seemed to help.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-04-15, 09:31
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, not sure that'd work on my back. I see one on Amazon for around $200 that might work... it's just so pricey!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-05-15, 08:41

BF:

You are probably right. I only had one small spot, compared to a back, to use it on. But since then I have used it several times on my knee and neck, hands.

I did not know you could get a larger one. I think I would love one for my back. Says she heading to the chiropractor this AM. I will look on Amazon later.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-08-15, 13:01

I'm still going once a week to the bed and that seems enough to keep everything happy. I've not had any pain to speak of since starting, even with moving.

I also have a hand-held one that I use for face in between times. I bought it on amazon. Its NOVA product, just 89.99. This is just vanity

I'm seriously considering getting my own bed for my spare room.