Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-01, 10:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/181/165
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default hangin' in

my body has joined the turtle club. I had such grand ideas of losing 35 pounds in 6-8 months. Now I know better. I have fallen off and gotten back on and fallen off again and gotten back on again. Each time, I have learned something but it is a struggle. I am glad I am doing this though. I am trying to focus on more than just the weight. I have found two positive side effects so far- no hot flashes and strong nails. Everyone, hang in !!! we are all winners !!!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-01, 13:11
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Wink Bye bye to nuts

Yes folks you heard it here.
I gave up nuts, including Macadamian.
Shocking isn't it?
Cream cheese is my next thing coming of my plan.
That is if I can keep it out of my house!
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-01, 14:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/159/135
BF:
Cool Nuts & Nails

I'm giving up my treasured macadamia nuts, too, at least for now. I'm saving them for when I know I'm not going to be somewhere I can get the things I need to eat, and really need to have a snack with me.

I'm glad to hear about the strong nails! I have a lifelong problem with weak nails. They only got better last summer when my naturopath put me on 2 T. vegetable protein/day. I haven't been taking it, 'cause I used to mix it with milk & OJ. I was hoping all the meat & seafood & dairy would suffice.

Coquina
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-01, 16:11
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool Nails

My nails use to fold over and anything would strip them off, including my nibbling
Now my nails are long and strong. I can actually use my nails to tighten screws! (I only did this once, honest!)
I do use Vitamin E on them and I buff them 3 times a week. Thats it. The important thing is that they are too hard for me to nibble on!
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-01, 17:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206/199/145
BF:
Progress:
Red face

I am so happy I found this link -- it's just what I needed. I got on the scale yesterday for the first time since I started this woe 7 weeks ago and was really disappointed at the numbers. I probably lost a total of 8 pounds, if that.

I get discouraged when I read of the success of most other members. Now I know there are others out there like me.
I know this woe is working because I feel so much better - don't have that awful water retention and I'm starting to look better.

I need to look at some of the things I'm doing that might be inhibiting my weight loss -- but give up?? NEVER!! This is a good way to eat.

What do you do when you have cravings? I have been eating a handful of peanuts and think this might be my problem.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-01, 17:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 159/128/125 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally posted by Joanne06
I am so happy I found this link -- it's just what I needed. I got on the scale yesterday for the first time since I started this woe 7 weeks ago and was really disappointed at the numbers. I probably lost a total of 8 pounds, if that.

I get discouraged when I read of the success of most other members. Now I know there are others out there like me.
I know this woe is working because I feel so much better - don't have that awful water retention and I'm starting to look better.

I need to look at some of the things I'm doing that might be inhibiting my weight loss -- but give up?? NEVER!! This is a good way to eat.

What do you do when you have cravings? I have been eating a handful of peanuts and think this might be my problem.

hi Joanne -- Welcome! You have come to the right place. I have been on LC since 6/8/01 and have lost about 20 lbs -- I am not discouraged -- we all lose at our own rate. About the peanuts -- eating peanuts or any kind of peanut butter (natural or otherwise) makes me gain -- no matter what -- I stay clear of any peanuts.
Hang in there!
Anita
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-01, 18:32
Registered Member

Stats: 185/185/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Joanne,
I haven't found a good way to handle cravings. If I eat anything when I'm in that "mode" it just makes the craving worse. If I eat sweet I want salty and so on. So I try to just drink water (neutral taste)and try to ignore it. It sure isn't easy. The good thing is I only have cravings very late at night so often I just go to bed.
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-01, 19:05

Stats: 175/???/145
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Cravngs

I think people recommend when you have cravings to eat some protein. I'm happy to say with this WOE I have not had a problem with cravings. I am SO thrilled about that. Sometimes when I see something - like Sweet Tarts candy - that I used to eat I want some but it's just habit and not really my body craving that. When that happens to me though I usually drink some water and that helps me.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-01, 22:18

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

Cat-Bat.... No more hot flashes. Isn't that grand?
My problem was night sweats. Haven't woke up at 3 am., soaking wet in two mos. Started LC 3 mos. ago. Heaven.

I tried all that ahem.... stuff (before LC) that said if you ate lots of soy products, like the Okinawans, you'd stop hot flashes. What a lot of hooey . All I got was gas and indigestion to go with my hot- flashes.

yb
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 10:23
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 223/193/153
BF:
Progress: 43%

I'm so happy to have found this place. I've been low-carbing faithfully for 4.5 months and have lost 20lbs. I was becoming very discourged when I read about people who were losing 2-3 lbs a week! or challenging themselves to lose 25 lbs. by Christmas. Whoa!?? I saw that and wondered, what the heck is wrong with me? But now I'm among peers who are facing the struggle that I am... Thanks.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 10:51

Stats: 159/138/120
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Turtle here

I am definately a turtle. In fact, is there anything slower than a turtle? Maybe a slug? I have been on the Atkins for 17 weeks and have lost 14 lbs. I feel that is tremendously slow.

This probably isn't the right place to say this but, I see that some people call it "cheating" but I call it falling off the wagon only because I have a serious addiction to refined sugars. I took the first bite and it has been downhill from there for the last 2 weeks approximately. I gained two pounds but have lost 1. I think alot of my regression is the loss of my motivation. If anyone has seen one wandereing around lost, that would be mine. I would appreciate you sending it back. I am at the point where I am just bored with this whole thing. Thanks for letting me rant. I'm the only one around me that is on the LC diet and I find that people just don't understand it!!
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 12:24
Registered Member

Plan: thinking on it
Stats: 165/157/130
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi there Heavy2long (very cute!) I've been at this now for 5 weeks, and I have to tell you, it's very discouraging to not have the pounds melt off... One of the people I work with keeps telling me I must be cheating cuz he lost 21 pounds in 2 months. I think I've probably lost 3 or so... but when it comes to motivation, to be honest, I'm terrified to fall off the wagon in case I suddenly balloon up another 10 pounds!
Hang in there kiddo!
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 12:30

BF:
Default Motivation

Thanks for the encouragement, Poobean. I was at a point where I was terified to loose my motivation because like my name says, heavy too long. I was tired of it and desperately wanted to change. I guess I am complacent at my current weight. I will get it back, I just hope it is soon!
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 12:39

Stats: 185/159/135
BF:
Smile A pound a week...

Heavy2long, a pound a week is nothing to sneeze at. In fact, it's the healthiest rate to lose weight at, and if you keep it up long enough, your chances of keeping that weight off are much better. Don't let the "easy weight loss" people beat you down!

TURTLES UNITE!!!

Coquina
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 12:44

BF:
Default Thanks, Coquina

Thanks for the message, Coquina. It's hard to remain patient sometimes when the nasty part of human nature wants it yesterday!! I try to tell myself it took me 12 years to put it all on, it will take awhile to take it all back off!!