Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 02:17

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%
Talking Protein Power Pals monday 19

GOOOD MORNING ALL...for you all in canada tring to find stuff please try this link www.LowCarbCanada.com .They have davinci's and they ship in canada..although I hope the price includes shipping,and I have to remember the prices are Canadian
and you can also look around under canada" low carb mail" as I did and find others.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 06:45

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

My menu was not good yesterday - it would have been a bit high calorie without the unexpected surprise snack at the end of the day which totally blew my carbs. My weight is up this AM (menu will explain why) 177.5 lbs - my rings are tight and my ankles are swollen...

Total calories: 2096
Fat: 139 gms 699 cal 62%
Sat: 49 gms 274 cal 22%
Poly: 30 gms 274 cal 13%
Mono: 46 gms 412 cal 20%
Carbs: 84 gms 246 cal 12% ECC:62 gms
Fiber: 22 gms 0 cal 0%
Protein: 134 gms 537 cal 26%

Breakfast:
4 egg beater omelet with 2 ozs lean ham and 1 oz cheddar
1 slice LC toast with pat of butter and .5 T sugar-free blackberry jam
12 ozs coffee and 8 ozs sugar-free breakfast drink with 3/4 T pysillum power

Lunch:
3 chicken drumsticks (oriental marinade and broiled)
.5 cup okra (breaded and fried)
1 cup brocolli w/ 1 oz velveeta
1 cup spinach salad (full-fat version)

Dinner:
Quick skillet dinner
8 ozs sausage (bulk pork - hot)
1/2 lb bag of LC oriental veggie mix
1/2 cup french onion dip

Snack:
1 large orange and 9 grapes - I was at a social function where I was the guest of honor - a dear friend, knowing I was on a diet, had brought fruit rather than the traditional cake for this event - bananas, oranges and grapes.... this is one of those 'have to eat something off plan' to avoid hurting someone's feelings days....

About 108 ozs water, 12 ozs coffee

Goals for today - do two hours of moderately strenous housework (it is too nasty outside to walk) and eat absolutely clean today... lots of water.

I feel really bloated - so much so that I couldn't eat breakfast at my usual 5 AM - will try later.

Unity:
Did you post before going to bed or get up at 2 AM

Last edited by Orang : Mon, Jan-19-04 at 12:10.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 06:58

Plan: protein power
Stats: 245/236/175 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Good morning all !!
Sorry I've not posted in a few days. Fridays right after work is bowling...so rarely will post then and the weekend was spent on a home improvement project we've put aside till after the holidays. Spent the weekend putting up new ceiling tiles in the basement family room and UGGHHH...what a job working over your head like that all the time. Doesn't help that I'm a little short on one end!!! I think DH has already called the cable company and made them remove Trading Spaces, Clean Sweep, Design on a Dime, While You Were Out!!! (LOL) I keep telling him I don't understand why it takes him so long to do something ....when they can do it on TV in 30 minutes!!!
Haven't had time to run food thru Fitday...but did pretty well all week....OK except for the handful of FF I stole at the bowling alley!! But....this AM was weigh in and 5 lbs gone !! Didn't think it was gonna happen after watching the scale go up and down all week!! I think my scale is neurotic!! But whatever it says on Monday morning is what I go with for the week!!
Exercise classes started Thurs night. Its a combination of aerobics, pilates and yoga. Who in the h*ll ever came up with pilates !!! She kept telling us to imagine our ball sitting in our laps!! I didn't have to imagine...IT WAS MY OWN BELLY!!! And YOGA!!! Don't they know that thighs, ankles and feet will NEVER go together at the same time !! (at least not when your built like Frosty the Snowman!!). We had fun, tho!! (probably mostly laughing at me !!) and will stick it out for the 5 weeks. Hopefully, this will tide me over til the weather breaks and I can get out and run a little!
No work for me today (at least not in the office ) ML King Day.
Have a great day everyone!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 07:50

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

OK,so the Eagles blew it again. That's why I am happy that Joe Gibbs is back coaching the Redskins. Gives me somthing to cheer for next year

Deb, you are too funny Pilates was invented my a man and turned into a tortuous routine by a skinny blond woman.

Orang,guest of honor? We think you're the guest of honor around here ALL the time. And we don't make you eat fruit if you don't want to.

I'm home today too, the US stock market is closed so our mutual fund company is closed. (Hint: we're the ones that the NY attorney general says is great and honest )
Bfast: 2 eggs, 2 whites,1 piece lc toast and 1/4 cup cottage cheese and coffee.

Last edited by ewinpa : Mon, Jan-19-04 at 09:16.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 09:43

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi guys!!!
yes i am back from rainy Ks to 19* SD! It is better then all of the arctic air that we had experienced earlier! (which then moved on to plague all of you easterners!)

I have got to go and finish chores, but wanted to say HI!!

I will get back with you all later today!!!!

I MISSED YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(the cows must NOT have holidays!)
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 10:08

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Just checking in. Phaedra (Dear Kitty) is not doing well. Her pulminary edema and pleural effusion have cleared up, but we think she "threw" an emobolism during the night. Her left back leg is useless. When we found her this morning at 4:00, we didn't think she would make it through the next few minutes, but she's hanging in there. DH had to go on a business trip; it almost broke his heart to have to leave. He was the reason for 20 other people from across the country traveling to Delaware today, so he had to go.

We talked about taking her to the vet this morning to be put down, but decided against it. She's always been traumatized by the car and the vet. Why make her last minutes traumatic? She seems to be comfortable on the chair here, is alert, and purrs when we pet her. When I walked into the room a few minutes ago, she rolled a little on her back to show me her belly for petting. Then she started purring. So be it. I'll stay with her all day today (have the day off), and will work from home tomorrow (and beyond) if necessary. She's been with us for 17 years. I can't not do it.

So, that's my world. Don't let me bring you guys down. This is just never easy. We've lost so many lately. Chloe (cat) died the week after I broke my back this past April. She was 18 years old. A year before that, we lost our dog, Jake, and just a matter of months before that we lost Grady at 21 years of age. Too many, too quickly. We still have our cat Gus (she's 12) and our dog Shelby (around 2).

We're definitely switching vets. We had brought her in last week (for about the third time in a couple weeks) for the bladder infection and they didn't even check her lungs or heart or anything. They just got a urine sample, said she was clean, gave us antibiotics anyway, and sent us on our way. Not even 2 full days later she had the cardiac episode and was in full respiratory trauma. Perhaps it wouldn't have made any difference in outcome, but then again if they had listened to her lungs they would have heard the fluid starting to fill and maybe we could have started the lasix sooner and it would have eased her suffering.

Sorry to be so down. It's just going to be hard for a while.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 10:58

BF:

{{{{{ Kathy }}}}}
So sorry to hear Phaedra is not well. I admire you for staying with her at home and making her comfortable. As for bring the group down, say whatever you need to say here to get thru this troubled time - we are big people and can take it and this thread has always been about support - no only diet support, but 'life' support. We've cried together thru losses, problems in families, etc. and rejoiced together in the good times. I think that's why we've been so successful.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 11:11
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 280/280/212 Male 6.0
BF:
Progress:

Man, I had to kick my big brother out of my apartment this morning. Pretty stressful confrontation. With him being drunk and violent and all. But I wasn't taking any crap, and I had 911 on the phone, right away. I am doing better now though. Dont feel much like eating at all. So I am going to fix some carbsense pancakes and eat anyways. No caving in...
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 11:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Monday

Kathy, So sorry to hear about your kitty! These kinds of decisions can be so hard! My 3 dogs and 1 cat are like children to me and two of them are almost 13 years old so I know "that time" is coming...

Deb, I think I got MY morning exercise laughing at your post !!!!

Did anyone happen to see the article in the online NY Times about Atkins changing their meal suggestions to lower sat. fat? Even before I switched to PP, I just didn't feel right about eating all that FAT!!! Now it makes you wonder, if this diet was so "scientifically correct (Atkins) how can they go changing things around just to make the public and doctors a little more "comfortable" with it ??
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 11:24

BF:

{{{ Keith }}}
I've been there with relatives with drinking problems - breathe in, breathe out. My experience, strength and hope for you - Eat lite today, but eat well and eat often. Pain shared really is pain halved.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 11:32

BF:

Hi Elaine:
Sorry about the Eagles

Deb:
I nearly choked on my morning coffee reading your post - that was hilarious. Hope the home improvements are finished soon.

Marnie:
So good to see a post from you and to hear the diet has helped your daughter so much. Hope your hubby was able to get back from the farm. Be careful in the bitter cold up your way.

Katlyn:
I saw the article - I think Atkins Nutritional is selling out Dr. Atkins basic theories about how / why his WOE works and how his WOE should be done by changing his basic guidelines so they will 'spin' better with the press and the 'low-fat is better' nutritional / medical community. This is likely a response to the fact that quotes from those in the medical community indicate they are starting to embrace more moderate fat plans like the Zone, Protein Power and South Beach while continuing to blast Atkins for being so high in fat and so unbalanced (don't blast me Atkins followers - I am giving a synopsis of what doc / nutritionists have been saying when quoted in the press since the Harvard and Duke studies forced them to consider LC WOEs as possibly OK in the past year)

I also think Atkins Nutritional is moving from the idea that whole foods are the best choices so it can market a whole lot of questionable products under the Atkins name or Atkins endorsement - foods which don't always meet even the minimum guidelines of being good choices for those using the Atkins WOE (the abundance of recent threads in the media area of this board about forbidden items like white flour, sugar, questionable sweeteners and trans-fats in restaurant foods endorsed by Atkins and foods marketed under the Atkins name are examples)
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 11:54

BF:

Lisette:
You're back - know the bovine ladies missed you. We did too.
BTW, you can have this artic air back - my delicate southern constitution can't handle the temp hovering around freezing.

Last edited by Orang : Mon, Jan-19-04 at 11:57.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 12:02

Plan: protein power
Stats: 245/236/175 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Atkins has already put out a disclaimer that says the NY Times misquoted them.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040119/nym053_1.html
There was quite a thread going on this today!
Kathy, I'm so sorry your kitty isn't doing any better! I just spent Friday night with my friend who had to put her Corgi down and it was nothing but tears and hugs!! Our dog and cat are 12 & 13. Our Cocker was hit by a car at 4 mos old and has 3 broken pelvis bones. Now cataracts have arrive and I think the urinary track is going now too. DH keeps bringing up the subject of putting him down...but I just can't yet. He appears to not be in much pain and until I think his quality of life is gone....I'll resign myself to the "carpet-cleaning-of-the-week club".
Keith...isn't it ashame we can choose our friends but not our relatives!! Just stay focused and as Orang said "Breathe!!!!"
I gotta stay off this computer and get some housework done! I promised myself I'd clean out at least 1 closet today!!
Later !!

PS...don't you know "home improvements are never done"!! By the time you make it thru the whole house...its time to start over again!!

Last edited by Flintstone : Mon, Jan-19-04 at 12:10.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 12:44

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Kathy, now I know where the 'Gradycat' nickname came from.
Sorry to hear your kitty is suffering From what you wrote, it sounds like you've had a lot of animals that were happy to be with you and your DH since they lived long lives. Don't worry about bringing us down, we're here to give you hugs even if they're virtual ones.

Welcome back Lissette-we missed you

Keith, listen to 'Aunt Orang'-she knows from what she speaks.{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 12:50

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I'm back from the gym and am very pleased to say that I've lost 5 pounds in my first week of PP. This is much more than I lost with Atkins induction. I'm really wondering if it was the extra protein and few more carbs that I needed. I've been feeling really good so far on PP. I was dragged out for months last year following Atkins. Thank-you all for the suggestions about different sites. I had a major find though!! I'm so excited. I found another type of sugar free syrup here. They don't have as many flavors as the Da Vinci, but the taste is not bad. I bought the raspberry one to try first and poured some into club soda. It was really quite good.
Kathy- Really sorry to hear that your cat isn't doing well. I know exactly what you're going through!

Have to make this quick today...its DD's birthday today. We always go out for supper to celebrate a birthday and the birthday person gets to pick the restaurant! I sure am hoping for a "good" choice. Hope everyone has a great day!