Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 15:30

Plan: PP high Omega 3
Stats: 165/133.5/107 Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi,

I'm new to PP, but not to low carbing. In September 2003, I started on Atkins and lost 20+ pounds. Then I became interested in the health aspects of low carbing and discovered Protein Power Life Plan. I have PPLP and PP, and use them to the point I'm almost cross-eyed. lol But, it's all still confusing to me.

I had been stalled from Thanksgiving last year, until I started PP on Valentines day this year. So far, I've lost 2 pounds, but I lose slowly. I'm at the point of cutting out most fake foods, with only an occassional protein bar to eat at the movies and my morning protein shake. I consider myself a Dilettante, because I could never give up my caffeine. It's not that I can't, I just don't want to. It doesn't cause cravings in me like Dr. Atkins said it would.

Since I'm short, I've heard and read in various places that I not only need to watch my protein and carbs, but my calories too. This is the confusing part for me. I have not been able to find any concrete information on exactly how many calories I should be consuming.

I'd sure appreciate any help you care to give. Also, I'd really like to join your group and get and offer support.

Have a great evening!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 16:11

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by acipenser
Blu--take a peek at my fitday. i have been over 2000 calories a lot.
what percentages are you shooting for? and how many carbs are you trying to stay under? if you are trying to increase protein and nothing else it will be hard. most protein sources also contain fats.
also, i took a peek in your journal and didn't see any posted meals. is your fitday account public? maybe posting some menus could let us give you suggestions on things to add.

-----------------------
I haven't been able to get into Fitday since the beginning of Feb, I did buy the program and use it all the time. No one can seem to find what the problem is.

My percentages are 5% Carbs leaving 5% for hidden carbs, 60% fat and 30 % protein.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 16:32

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi, CarbGirl! Several of us are finding that the old rule of 9 to 10 times your current body weight is a good place to start for the number of calories you should be eating. Both Orang and I have been pretty much stuck (losing very slowly) for a while now, but we both have cut our calories down and now we're both starting to lose.

Not that Orang (Renee) and I are doing the same calculation or percentage of macronutrients. Check out Renee's posts to see what she's doing (and you can ask her questions, too -- she's quite pleasant when you get her on a day that her pyrex hasn't exploded on her).

I'm shooting for 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbs (very Atkins like, but with adequate protein as recommended by Protein Power). I tend to be averaging 65% fat, 30% protein, and 5% carbs, and I call it good. Since I'm now (as of this morning) 163 pounds, I should shoot for around 1,630 calories per day. I'm trying for 1400, but usually coming in around 1500. And this seems to be working for me.

I see you're currently at 137 pounds. That means you should shoot for 1,370 calories. Do you use FitDay? If not, I strongly recommend it. Since you are shorter than I am, you could probably drop calories to around 1,100 and do well.

Don't get me wrong, though. I don't really count calories, I watch them. Much more important (to my body, anyway) is to keep that fat percentage high and my carb percentage low.

Others on this daily thread, however, have found they need to keep their fat lower and their carbs higher. Live and learn! Each of us has to experiment to determine what works best for us.

I hope I haven't confused you even more! Do you plan to post here often? We'd love to have you!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 17:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 160/148/145 Female 68 inches
BF:24
Progress: 80%
Default Hi gang

It's been a few weeks since I last posted. I got what was supposed to be a 24hr flu bug (thats what everyone else had). But mine continued for 8 days, and it was a rough week for me. Then I sorta went off the LCing for a week or so because eating was a problem and I wanted soups and stuff like that, and some sweets Boy I always want to fall back into that pit (sweet tooth)

Anyhow, I feel great now, and I'm back on track, and fortunately I didn't gain probably because most things left as soon as they arrived, if you know what I mean!

My girlfriend wanted to try the South Beach, I lasted for 1 day. Too much like the old low fat diet for me. I'll stick with PP, it just works for me. She has a hard time with it, I think she just cheats too much!

How has everyone been? Congrads to all the losers.

Blu - have you tried having a protein powder drink, theres usually a lot of calories in that.

My prob is I have to keep my calories lower, but not too low and my carbs under 50 to lose.

Take care all, see ya tomarrow

Linda
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 18:17

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

somebody please kick me in the ....
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 19:06

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for everyone's ideas.
I think, that since what I am doing is working that I will leave it alone.
When I showed my diet to my doctor she was concerned that I was starving myself. Her advice was I should raise my calories to over 2000 per day. It's that same formula as mentioned here - 9 or 10 times your weight, which for me is 2650 - 265 = 2385.
What's that saying if it isn't broke don't fix it.
If after my walking, hiking and exercising my body needs more fuel than I'll eat more.

My backpack/tent/sleeping bag are all packed and ready. I have enough food for three days. I'm only going to be gone for two, but just in case of emergency I will take an extra days worth.

I'll post again when I get back.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 20:04
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hiya Smooth...and good to see you again wannabe!

Hello to Carbgirl and enomarb! Nice to meet you both :-)

I asked about supplements this morning, cause I am thinking about revamping some of mine. I used up my last multivitamin last nite, I was using Womens one a day for dieting. And I had this past week begun to take it twice a day.

I also take Magnesium and calcium, biotin, once a week a good dose or two of echinacea...been thinking about adding oil of oregeno, and some chromium. The cinnamon has been working nicely too I think. You can take that in pill form, but I like the taste of cinnamon. Oh. .and essential oils... I have been using 3 blends called: Di-tone, juveflex and endoflex. ONLY because I have been giving them in treatments to a client recently..and have noticed on those days I have been feeling more energetic and my system moves in a friendly gentler way, which is always a plus!

My calories the last couple of days have been pretty low actually
FEb 25- 1080
Feb 26-1270
Feb 27-1157 ( day isnt over w/ tho..lol!)

But I am not feeling very hungry, and getting very full quickly. I remember someone posting about ketosis and not feeling hungry.. you suppose that is what is happening?

I had low readings again yesterday folks, down another notch! 4u am and 7 pm.. will be happy to stop stabbing myself.. did get some 'news' from our insurance company however... they aren't covering any of my lab work/dr's visits for a year.. cause of the pre existing clause. So I now have a 988.00 bill to cover! Bleh. But my health is priceless..and I will cover it, just like I would if it were a car repair bill. I think I am a little more important than my car. ( my pep talk to self!)
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 21:18

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

EVENING ALL!!

Yesterday was GREAT!!! This is the first (and only) year that we will not have heifers so I am glad that we got to sneak away for awhile!
The movie was thought provoking and really put things into prospective 0f how much Jesus went through for us! I do not want to give away to much, After everyone (who wants to see it ) does then I would love to make a few comments and a question! I am glad that I saw it!

Michele, I have gotten the micro rinds from Walmart and have ordered them from the internet. There are 2 different brands: Lawerys and the Rudolph foods, I prefer the later of the 2, the website is rudolphfoods.com

Ellie, WTG on the 5 pounds!!! I am glad that the induction worked for you!!! I have bought some sf jello and am going to try to only eat that when I am craving sweets!

Bawdy and Orang, WOW you guys are on a weightloss roll! That is good that you have the pendlum swinging the other way now!! (ok Bawdy, WHAT did you brib the trickle fairy with now?) Or did you threaten a visit to photo island via Renee??

Elaine,Hope you will have a great weekend! No snow for you all hopefully this time! MISS you today!

I have not seen any hit and runs from our fave yeti today!

Dawn, It is horrible what they charge for tests! And the price of insurence is so high, they get us somewhere in the end! We just raised our deductable the last time because it was getting so out of hand!

Oh supplements: I just stick with the atkins basic, flax, hy.acid (my skin gets dry this time of year), corral calcium, hair, skin and nails formula, And I have just started taking hot rox, (a supposed fat burner)

Eight, if you want to do some riding, we will be rounding up our cows to bring up the river bottom hill in a couple weeks! We have alot of hills, draws, creeks to jump et!!

I have been burning the treadmill miles lately, this last week My eating has been BAD!!!! I am kicking it and am getting back on track!! My dd is happy and content that our dsil is back, LIFE IS good!

Unity, YOU HAVE BEEN OFFICIALY KICKED!!!! (now you may resume proper lc activities!)

Welcome to our new ones here!

HELLO TO ROBIN! hope things get better on the job front!

I need to get off for now! Have a good night!!!
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 01:49

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Unity, YOU HAVE BEEN OFFICIALY KICKED!!!! (now you may resume proper lc activities!)
THANK YOU!!!!!!!
between a really bad TOM,10 days in a row working till the middle of the night ,money problems,and to take care of three small boys this last week was sooooo bad on all health points that I really needed that kick...tomorrow morning I will set the day off right with eggs and sausage and a POT of tea...