Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 17:59

Plan: Atkins or bust
Stats: 287/278/138
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default I'm new here, diagnosed insulin resistant

Hi everyone,
I'm new here. I was diagnosed insulin resistant on Monday at my endocrinologist's office. I had been on ediets for months and could not lose weight.

I am going to go out tonight and get the Schwarzbein Principle book and cookbook and see if I can get my health back. I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis (hypothyroid autoimmune disease) and I'm really overweight from over 10 years of undertreatment by my FORMER doctor. I also developed fibromyalgia, which really hurt like hell. This new doctor gave me Effexor, and the pain decreased in two days. I had nearly been crippled by it. I am interested to see Dr. Schwarzbein's connection of serotonin and insulin resistance. I wonder if the low serotonin and low thyroid together triggered my fibromyalgia. Anyway, I'm in for a fight and I appreciate that this group is here.

Shekhina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 09:10

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Cool Hi Shek

Just wanted to welcome you. This is an awesome forum! I think you'll really like it.

You've got a battle ahead of you, yes. But, with the support you have here, you can do it! The evidence is overwhelming that hyperinsulinemia causes multiple, multiple medical problems, so you 've probably come to the right eating plan, also.

I'm doing CAD and have been for the past few weeks, and in days (days!) I felt like a new person. All those carbs were wreaking havoc with my whole system.

Looking forward to seeing your posts.

Best of luck to you!

Jeannie (We'll be rootin' for ya!"
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 19:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/168/135
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi

I am new here. I have been trying to lose weight for years with some success; however, the weight always comes back.

My endocrinologist found that I am hypoglycemic, have autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimotos'), chronic myogenic pain syndrome, etc.. You get the idea. Oh yes, I am also a registered nurse and should have had a thorough screening for these disorders years ago. Besides a prescription for thyroid hormone replacement and Effexor, I have turned to a low carb diet plan.
I have read Atkins and have lost a few pounds on his plan. I feel much better.

Any other ideas or sources of information that may be helpful?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 20:10

Plan: General LC-ing
Stats: 145/127/120
BF:BMI 23.7
Progress: 72%
Default Effexor

Shekhina and Cambria,
Am curious as to what the Effexor is supposed to do for you.
My Dr. put me on it a few months ago but I have none of the
diagnoses as you.
greentea
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-02, 09:55

Stats: 185/168/135
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi:

Effexor is classified as an SSRI or selective serratonin reuptake inhibitor. It also may effect norepinephrine levels. These are neurotransmittors and may be prescribed for many conditions such as chronic or acute depression, obsessive-compulsive disorders, chronic pain syndromes, etc...I always check each medication I take out with my pharmacist and use an easy to understand phamacology handbook. It will be interesting to see if research finds a relationship between glucose metabolism and seratonin levels in the future.

Cambria
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-02, 13:34
Registered Member

Stats: 265/248/150
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Just weighing in . . .

Isn't it frustrating when it takes so long to get a good diagnosis? How did you find your way to an endocrinologist? My doc concluded I was insulin resistant a long time ago but has offered no treatment other than to eat a balanced diet and exercise.

I think you will lots of valuable information in these forums.

good luck on your journey.