Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 19:46

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 183/173/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default New and feeling strange

I am a firm believer in this program. I have read the Principle and Program books. I used to live in Santa Barbara and my parents were patients. I must admit that in my college years I just ate whatever and now after having two children I am fat and have no energy. I started following the SP and have been taking supplements but I cheated occasionally. I don't think I necessarily have a messed up metabolism so I started seeing weight loss even when I was cheating (eating refined sugar every few days). One thing I noticed right away is a complete lack of PMS symptoms (yay!). But for the last week I have followed SP 100% and I just feel crummy. I feel exhausted, I can't even get through the day without a nap. I wake up with stomach aches and have to force myself to eat breakfast. I also had a horrid headache last night and was quite dizzy. And I've felt waves of nausea off and on. The only thing I can compare it to is feeling pregnant! But I just got a period and took a test and it was negative. Has anyone else had symptoms like this? I read that you can have depression and headaches if your metabolism is really messed up, but I don't know that mine is. I took the quiz and I didn't have any of those problems that would indicate a broken down metabolism. I never take any drugs prescription or over the counter. My problem in the past has just been eating too many carbs, sugar and over exercising. I am still losing weight, but feel awful. Is this normal? Please tell me what to do....I am very discouraged. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-07, 20:03

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Hi Daisy

Well, since you've read the books, you are aware that it's not uncommon for folks to feel lousy when switching to a *diet* that is different than what the body is used to.

Firstly, I no longer take any supplements, I just found that after taking a test somewhere that I was getting the nutrients I needed in the foods I was eating. But I did take them in the first few years. It's only been the past 1 or 1.5 years I don't take any of them. I tapered off, and the last ones I recenly stopped taking was chromium GTF and the calcium complex.

Anyway, sometimes supplements make people feel like crap. That might be something if you had not previously taken them.

Also, I don't get PMS symptoms. I never really did have them, however. The only change was that my periods became regular ever 28 days within 2 weeks of starting the program over 5 years ago (after not having periods for long times and never regular)! So that was great!

Our bodies change as we age, and you may just be experiencing some changes, associated with all these things. If you are eating whole foods in balance, there is no reason to feel bad, other than withdrawals from something you were used to, or the taking of something new that you hadn't taken (vitamins).

You didn't mention if you used caffeine. If you stopped that cold turkey it will take a week or two to regulate and get used it.

If you are eating a lot of veggies and have not been used to that, you can have stomach issues. There are a host of factors you see! IF you are so sick you can't eat breakfast, than eat when you feel okay. You might try steel cut oats for breakfast, that's a nice bland meal and won't trigger cravings.

Avoid acidic foods if possible til you feel better.

I never experienced the yuckies, so I can't relate, but I understnd a lot of people do. I hope you will continue to at least eat WHOLE FOODS, even if you don't practice the other principles. Best wishes, be sure to keep us posted. --Betty
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-07, 20:18

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 183/173/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thanks Betty,
I have to admit that I caved last night. My kids were making 'smores and I had one. Afterwards I felt a lot better, my headache went away. This morning I didn't wake up sick to my stomach, but I didn't take the supplements anyway. Tonight I feel lots better. I am wondering if I do just have the crummies like she talked about in the book and maybe I did need to have some refined sugar. I remember her explaining that self-medicating is part of it when you first start. I have never used caffeine in coffee or soda form. I've always been somewhat "natural" in how I take care of my body in that I never take medications and use homeopathics and herbs. However, I really have had a huge problem with carbs and sugars. I fell right into that low calorie-low fat diet trend for awhile which only spiraled me to crave more carbs, but that was my only real damage I think I did to my body. Did you ever have to eat sugar to self-medicate? I wonder if that's what it was...it seems to be. Thanks so much for the response, I will be visiting this forum a lot!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 12:35

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Hi, I am glad to hear you are feeling better.

When I started this new way of life, I never heard the term self medicating, however, I know she uses that in the latest book, Tha Program.

I went cold turkey for the most part and never really felt bad. However, I do eat darkest chocolate about once every few days. I don't know that I would consider it self medicating, just eating what I want in moderation!

But you are just starting out and need to take care the way you consider best. I think a lot of my success has been tailoring the plan to my own life, and that will be the same with you. It's hard to quit everything all at once for many people, but making progress is always good. Stick with it!