Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 11:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/175/145 Female 5'9.5"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Anyone from WASHINGTON

I have lots of questions
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 17:04
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 267/264/220 Female 65 inches
BF:33/?/25
Progress: 6%

vancouver washington here
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-04, 12:21

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

Issaquah Washington here, ask away!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-04, 17:14

Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

Redmond, WA here.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 13:53

Plan: low to no carb
Stats: 260/230/150 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hi there, im from Yelm.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 14:02

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

middle of nowhere, Wa (I'm not kidding, you've NEVER heard of it, hardly ANYONE lives here, and it takes me an hour ONE WAY to get to the nearest city) aka: sagebrush desert smack in the middle of the state.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 15:14

Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%

Everett, WA.
So what questions do you have?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 20:23

Plan: Dr. Bernstein/Atkins comb
Stats: 237/181/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hoquiam, Washington, here....out on the coast.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 16:29
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Ok I guess she didn't have a lot of questions afterall, but I do!!!

I want to move to Washington. I have never done anything like this in my life (with the exception that my parents brought me here from the USSR at the age of 1 1/2). It's carey, but I think it will be the best move I have ever made.

What's it like living in Washington? I can think of nothing bad. Compared to L.A. it seems like heaven. But I'm a lil scared and don't know what will happen about getting a job or going to school. I'm thinking that we'll move to Vancouver and I have no idea what the schools are like for my 6 year old neice or me.

Any tips or help would really be appreciated!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 17:05
Undercover Goddess

Stats: 360/304.2/180 Female 71 inches
BF:Half Price Special
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoar2004
middle of nowhere, Wa (I'm not kidding, you've NEVER heard of it, hardly ANYONE lives here, and it takes me an hour ONE WAY to get to the nearest city) aka: sagebrush desert smack in the middle of the state.
You must live near me. Nothing but desert and sagebrush here too.

Hit me with your best shot. I bet I have heard of it. Washtuckna? Pomeroy? Rosalia?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 20:44

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

Too far east! Mattawa is sorta close. Heard of it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTwacky
What's it like living in Washington?
It really depends upon where you live. Are you moving to Seattle? It's traffic-from-h***, rain, lovely theaters, great zoo, wonderful lattes (I remember lattes. SIGH), beautiful scenery, liberal. Eastern WA is all about farming/ranching, dry heat, sagebrush, wheatfields, conservative, slow-paced, sparsely settled, gorgeous night skies, beautiful scenery. snow. depending on where you are...
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 07:24

Stats: 280/196.5/160 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 70%

You will love Washington. Granted, I am from Iowa, but I have been to Seattle many times over the last 7 years. I really contemplated about moving myself about two years ago. I had a plan and even looked into jobs and all. I have been to the Seattle, Tacoma,and Lacey area. But, I guess with most of my family here, I decided not too, also had been at my job for 12 years. But, if I ever win the lottery I am off and traveling and Washington is at the top of the list. I loved the culture and the scenery is amazing. I have so many fond memories of my visits. Think I am going to have to plan a visit again myself this year.

Best of luck on your decision.
Kristine
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 08:27

Plan: Dr. Bernstein/Atkins comb
Stats: 237/181/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I live on the coast of Washington. I'll try and help a bit.

Vancouver, WA, is a wonderful smaller city. Western WA has cooler summer temperatures than Eastern WA but Vancouver tends to be one of the hotter areas in the summer months. I believe it also gets less rainfall than most other parts of Western WA as well.

Its proximity to Portland, OR, means that you have ready access to a large city. Portland is a very cool area so you can enjoy their theatre, sports, etc. quite easily. If you're into sports though, they have no major teams. You can also do your major shopping in Portland and not pay sales tax (Oregon has no sales tax), so that's handy.

You're close to some of the best recreation areas in the world. The Columbia River Gorge is just a hop, skip and a jump away. In the Gorge area you'll find great hiking, paddling/kayaking, windsurfing (among the best in the world), camping, etc. opportunities. Skiing isn't too horribly far away at Mt. Hood, Oregon. I believe skiing in Washington is a tad farther away. You're also not too far from the Coast so going out there for a daytrip or weekend is easily done. The Long Beach Peninsula and Ilwaco areas are fairly close with beach activities, fishing, and other stuff like that.

I'm not real familiar with Vancouver itself. I attended a 2-day conference there a few years back but I'm usually driving through it and not stopping when I'm down that way.

Even though Vancouver area is drier than most of Western WA, it still rains quite a bit. If rain doesn't bother you, than that won't be a problem. But that might be an adjustment from LA weather so you might want to think about it. WA doesn't typically have the same problems that LA has when it rains. I know I hear on the news how dangerous your highways can get when it rains....real slippery. That doesn't happen up here. I don't know why. Maybe since it does rain more, the oil on the highway doesn't build up as much?

The Seattle area is very cool. It's a great city. But I could never live there because of the traffic. Seattle's rush hour traffic is horrid. I-5 and other highways around there can be like a parking lot. But it is gorgeous and has a great culture. Portland's rush hour isn't nearly as bad. Many people live in Vancouver, WA, and work in Portland. In fact, the entire I-5 corridor from Everett (north of Seattle) to about Dupont (south of Tacoma, WA) is horrid during rush hour. It's starting to get much worse in Olympia as well. But Olympia is also a gorgeous little city that you might want to check out.

As another poster said, the Eastern area is mainly farming communities. Spokane is a nice city. So is Moses Lake and Yakima. I'm not as familiar with the Tri-Cities (Pasco, Kennewick & Richland).

The rural coast is amazing. I love living out here. However, jobs aren't as plentiful as they are along the I-5 corridor.

Hope that helps a tad bit.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 10:20
Undercover Goddess

Stats: 360/304.2/180 Female 71 inches
BF:Half Price Special
Progress: 31%

[QUOTE=csoar2004]Too far east! Mattawa is sorta close. Heard of it?[QUOTE]

I have heard of it (briefly ). It is closer to Yakima, right?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 12:19
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Thank You so much for the helpful information.

We are planning on moving to Vancouver. Maybe eventually moving to Wenatchee, because I hear it has 4 seasons.

I was wondering about the schools as well as things like crime and drugs. Here we have really bad areas where I would never want my lil neice to grow up in or be around with Gangs and drugs. Yet even those areas are costing an arm and a leg!

Because I'm trying to move to a place with housing assistance and I know that here most of those places are in areas I don't want to live. Basically I feel that the quality of life will improve in WA. But since I'm not from around there I'm not sure what to expect.