Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 23:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/218/190 Male 72
BF:25%
Progress: 20%
Default Sugar addict needs help

I am doing the atkins diet and just started. My biggest problem will be I am a sugar addict. My two biggest flaws are pop aka Mountain Dew and hard candies. Any suggestions on how to battle these?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 06:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/190/140 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress:

Well, I am (was?) a total chocolate addict. Sam drank a lot of coke/other sugar drinks. Two things helped me not have a bit of chocolate for two weeks... first of all, whenever you think about the stuff you're not allowed to have, think of all the stuff you are allowed to have.. looking at LC recipes helps.. make yourself something really really good that's totally allowed. That always makes me think 'diet? WHAT diet? look at the great food i'm eating!'. The other thing.. when everyone says that after a week or so you'll stop wanting the sugary foods so much.. it's true. You might still want it, but it's more 'I wish I had some extra money to buy myself nice things' than 'NEED money NOW to pay rent or will be evicted and thrown out into the street'.. hope that analogy makes sense. Will power is the most important thing.. remind yourself why you decided to go on the diet and give up sugar in the first place.
Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 14:15
Registered Member

Stats: 148/135/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress:

try eating a piece of cheese... I know that some say it stalls them but I guess I have been lucky cuz it doesn't effect me.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 14:31
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Bite the bullet and get through it. It will take about 3-4 days and then the cravings will lessen dramatically. When you want soda, reach for water. When you want candy, put something lc in your mouth. And stay away for SF treats for induction. That just keeps the addiction alive.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 22:44

Stats: 225/218/190 Male 72
BF:25%
Progress: 20%
Default What does SF mean

What does SF mean?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 23:58

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Sugar Free
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 01:48

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree with Zuleikaa, once you get used to it you won't even miss the sugar. Give your body a chance to correct itself.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 02:20
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

I also love mountain dew...the diet stuff isn't too bad, especially after you've been off the sugar for a few days.

For my sweet tooth it was diet jello with whip cream (which is legal)....or whip cream in a glass with a little root beer (like a root beer float).
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 22:16

Stats: 136/127/125 Female 66 inches
BF:32/25/20
Progress: 82%

I too was addicted to sugar/ caffiene in the form of Coke, 6 cans a day was normal for me. After the first 3-4 days of headaches from not having the stuff, I realized I actually felt so much better!! So I never went back to the caffiene, and I no longer miss it!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 09:15
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

Get yourself some L-glutamine. Take 1-2 grams with soem heavy crem and just a touch of splenda.
And start to increase your water consumption.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 09:29

Stats: 173/173/155 Male 5'9
BF:23%
Progress: 0%

I think what needs to be said here is that this endeavor won't be easy. The most important attribute to reaching your goal is your determination. Stay strong in mind and say "no" to your cravings. Focus.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 13:35
Contributing Member

Stats: 292/292/150 Female 5 ft 8 in
BF:45%/45%/20%
Progress: 0%
Default eliminating cravings

The only way I've ever found that will consistently eliminate cravings is an accupressure technique you can do on yourself called EFT - Emotional Freedom Technique. It helped me survive a late-night trip to the grocery store last night. Ben & Jerry's was calling my name....Instead I bought collard greens, cream cheese, swiss cheese, steak and a few other lc foods. I used EFT in the car before I went into the store, and the cravings were reduced enough that I could ignore them. If I had taken the time, I could have eliminated them completely for that night. With addictions, it takes months of consistent use of EFT to get rid of them completely and forever.

I'm only just starting the induction phase myself, so I am also excited that after I get through this, I won't have to rely on EFT so much, and instead the physical reason for the cravings will be gone. yahoo! I should also mentioned that I'd never heard about l-glutamine until last night in the Atkins book. I bought some of that today, too. Some of the folks here swear by it for killing those cravings completely!

You can learn about it and download a free how-to manual at http://www.emofree.com. Works great on phobias, too, according to the Journal of Clinical Psychology. A study was done on it and published last Fall (2003). It's saving me from serious binges, it's free, and I can do it myself whenever I need it.

FWIW
evergreen

Last edited by evergreen : Tue, Feb-24-04 at 13:49.