Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-09, 22:51

Plan: low carb, carb cycling
Stats: 160/121/125 Female 65.5 inches
BF:under 10
Progress: 111%
Default EC Stack

ok, so. i have started an ephedrine + caffeine cycle to get me to my goal. there, i said it. i cant be talked out of it, and im doing it very safely, and have done extensive research/reading on the subject, and feel i have a good handle on this thing. that being said, i would like to know if any of my fellow low carbers have tried this, especially those of you who have a regular exercise routine.

i have a feeling some may try and steer me away from doing this, and/or warn me of potential dangers, and while i appreciate your concern, i would like to mainly hear back from folks who have had experience with this supplement.

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-09, 08:03

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Not gonna try and talk you out of it, just wondering how long you plan to stay at your goal if you can't get there without ephedrine. Seems like you're where your body wants to be and it'll take artificial means to go lower.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-09, 14:57

im going to do 2 6 week cycles.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-09, 16:56

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Do what you want, and it may work, but my guess is, once you come off the ephedrine cycle, your weight will come back to where it is now. Looks like your body is happy at the weight it is now and it doesn't care that you think it should be 3 pounds lighter.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-09, 18:04

oh, ya, i need to update my stats... he he. well, i could actually stand to lose 10, in my opinion...so im very close!!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-09, 18:48

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

Where on earth did you get the ephedrine ?!
I have some squirreled away from YEARS ago (so I'm sure it's too old to take now anyway).
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-09, 20:59

my husband got it off a website...? ill ask him what it was...
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 08:40

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

I took it for several years, but never more than 1/3 of the dose (this was good ol Ripped Fuel). Make sure it is from a reputable source. I did get very lean using it, but only used it right before a workout and with no aspirin. Also be sure you have no heart or BP problems.
With those cautions, it did work for me, and I didn't regain the weight once I quit using it (just sort of petered out).
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 11:06

thanks, i like mice! im liking it so far...right now i take 8 mg twice a day, with 100 mg of caffeine each time. (im not doing the asprin either--the more i read about it, doesnt seem like you need it.) i dont think ill go over 24 or 32 mg per day tho...how many mg did u take per day?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 16:27

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Oh, golly - I believe the capsules were calibrated for 20 mg, which you took three x day (google around and check that). I used just one dose a day. If I'd taken all three doses I would have exploded. And just on workout days, that did the job.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 18:02

indeed. ive been very, ah...productive since ive started taking these! wow!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 01:00

Plan: Carb cycling
Stats: 225/164/155 Male 5'8
BF:~15%
Progress: 87%

There is no magic using the EC stack, it will give you an energy boost and burn some extra calories in the day. Be careful doing cardio when using it, it makes my heart race like crazy.

The only weight you would gain back if you stop using it is water weight, due to the caffeine being a diuretic. This is assuming you still keep your calories in check and stay active. Obviously if you exercise less when you stop taking them, your calorie deficit may no longer be there making you gain fat.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 07:03

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Just marking this thread so I can check on your progress.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 09:24

Plan: Primal...ish
Stats: 158/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 43%

I've used this from time to time for years. It's perfectly legal and safe if you're careful. I've always bought ephedrine and caffeine pills, rather than taking herbal concoctions, since that way I know exactly what I'm getting. I'll tell you a few things from my own experience, although obviously listen to your own body.

First, the good things. EC is a great appetite suppressant. When I use it I take it for several days, then take a few days off so I don't develop tolerance to that effect. I mostly use it when I've fallen off the LC wagon- it kills those intense carb-induced cravings while I reacclimate to LC. It also gives me a lot of energy during this process, which otherwise makes me really groggy (induction flu I guess).

Now, the warnings. You're right to avoid asprin. You don't need it, and it can be dangerous. I also second the advice to avoid cardio after taking it (each dose wears off after four hours, so you can do your cardio in the morning before you take it, or after it wears off in the evening). I didn't know this at first, and after a period of combining EC, intense cardio, and ibuprofen (for workout injuries), I ended up with some mild GI bleeding. I NEVER take asprin/ibuprofen anymore, and I've had no problems since even with EC.

Mattie, you sound like you'll be careful, but the following is to cover my a$$: I just want to make clear that I'm not advocating either long-term use or abuse of EC. It is basically an appetite suppresant, and it should be taken strategically and sparingly for that purpose. It doesn't (really) rev up your metabolism to allow you to eat more or 'lose weight without dieting.' It is a vasoconstrictor, which makes it potentially dangerous if combined with high blood pressure or intense exertion. Please be careful.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-03-09, 11:12

thanks, clubsoda

ya, the appetite suppressant is huge for me...thats my biggest struggle, portion control. i love the energy too, wow is my house clean! he he

i dont plan on taking very much, i think the highest ill go is about 24-36 mg per day. i hear about all these people popping 10 pills at a time, thats not for me....i just need a gentle push into my goal....the more reading and talking with people about this that i do, it appears that more people than youd think do a little supplementation to reach theyre goal. its just that they dont talk about it that much

so the cardio: i usually just walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes, uphill, at 4mph...would you qualify this as "intese" cardio?