Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#691   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-17, 19:35

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi gals,

This is my second post today, the first one disappeared. Don't know why. It was much lighter than what I'm about to say.

Breathes very deeply and comes up to the surface to say what I want to say.

The whole point of LOW CARB OUR WAY, is to respect that we all do this in our own ways. And yes, we DO need the support to NOT fall off the low carb wagon as often as any of us can swing it. I come here almost every single day for that.

BUT, our imperfections are not a sign that "we really don't want it." They are a sign of being human, and the need to just get back on board, past our mistakes, and try again.

I have made MANY mistakes in my life, and I have been blessed to learn from them, but none of that has saved me from the need to learn yet more. I figure, about the time I stop learning, I'm as good as dead.

We ALL have our failures on this woe, and we all have our successes on it. Let's NOT EVER assume we can quantify that for someone else, or tell them how to do it, unless asked.

Sorry gals, but had to say it, and now I'm out.
Sponsored Links
  #692   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-17, 19:38

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hey that was Jamie Lee Curtis on the life switch I think

Sorry for the slap in the face on the hospital. Just thinking of you.

WOW you sound more tired than me. What the heck is up with our sleeping and stuff? Alot of us are going batty in some form or another LOL

Alene, yea ya gotta stop the vicious cycle. I know where Jaz is coming from in that WE ALL, like in all of us and you, SURE KNOW the misery of on again and off again a new eating plan. It is just miserable, so it is best to be miserable staying on plan and fighting like a dog to do so and get results, then to have the miserable feelings of eating junk. You gotta choose truly how hard ya want to fight for what ya want. Just a reminder here, I know you are doing well and it is a huge change, but by gosh ya gotta want it bad to set into a new way of eating for life. You have to change the mindset...NEW WAY OF EATING FOR LIFE. Not a play game of dieting misery like we did before. AND IT is hard to grab and hold the mindset change, I know, I been thru the ringer on 'dieting' for sure. Hold strong Alene!! You are changing and learning thru it all...rock on

tired here now. yawning like crazy.
did my 'easy 3 mile' Leslie tape and I swear I was gonna die

I am shocked how much my stamina is down. I was hiking up mountains, high incline on treadmill, 5 mile walk tape and NOW, unbelievable how I had to fight like crazy to get thru that tape. Plus my arm has limits, I couldn't barely move it high or around. the shoulder is a royal pain in the azz, no doubt about that!

So CapD to get back my stamina and endurance. I don't like how I lost what I did have......MOVE IT OR LOSE IT! No joke, that is so real, I lost it right now but gonna get it back

just rambling, I am friggin' hungry....thinking some tuna/mayo to slowly eat. I been hungry all day, ate good and not too much but now I want more food LOL

heck ya just can't win some days
  #693   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 04:04

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

Blue...if you were here, I would hug you SO hard! You and I have very similar philosophies. I admire those that can be 100% on all the time and never stray, but that isn't me. I ate a chocolate chip cookie last night...and it was freakin' delicious. Is that why the scale is stuck? Probably. I accept it and just keep doing the best I can MOST of the time. I'm sure I'll have times of being more strict in the future, but for now, it is what it is. I thank you all for accepting me....warts and all.

Well, no boot camp today, so I must hit the treadmill for a quick 3 miles this morning. DH wants me to go to the Farm Show with him. Just kill me now. We'll drive an hour and spend the day walking around the arenas seeing all kinds of animals etc and being faced with all kinds of food not usually on my radar. Sigh........ He was supposed to go with a friend, but said friend has to work today so I said I'd go with him. Since I'm going away to my sister's for 4-5 days soon, I thought I'd throw him a bone.

What odd weather. It is nearly 50 degrees! We were in single digits at the beginning of the week! We'll be back to reality for the weekend.

Oh......the walking. I'm hanging my head too.....I am 4 miles behind for the week so far. Only got 2 miles in yesterday and didn't walk at all on Tuesday. I will get caught up by Sunday. I also know that this time of year, getting the miles in will be harder. Once golf season kicks in, I'll be racking up 6-7 miles every time I play in addition to my other walking. No worries.

Time to hit the treadmill and get ready for the Farm Show...woohoo!
  #694   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 04:37

BF:

Lori we warmed up also now but not a 'great warm' as in a great summer temp I find it very hard now with the walk challenge also. I realize too we can get way behind real fast LOL, so taking steps to not let that happen here also.

Farm show, cool! You had me cracking up, throw hubby a bone since you are leaving!! That is something I would do for sure

HI ALL
last night I was starving and almost ate that tuna and mayo late and then thought, screw it. I don't need food. I am not gonna die one day sooner if I do not eat that food, I got enough fat on me to make it thru without hitting starvation and death I realized I have to control food at all times, it is not ok to allow food to control me. I must take total control and be mindful of my wicked food issues. I will find any and all excuses under the sun to eat at all times, , so for me I am reining it in and doing what I gotta do to hold my control and not let boredom and more make me eat, even lc stuff, when I know I just don't need it.

What is funny is I woke up 1/2 hr ago and I got a tummy ache?? I haven't had one of those in ages!~ a real crampy type tummy ache feeling, OMG I hope I ain't got diseased in any way, you know the 24 hr bug thing coming???? Will see how this day rolls and just go with the flow on the tummy. Food is holding no interest now so that is always a good thing LOL

today is off to store fast for some errands, have to hit the bank and hmmm, with the weird tummy I doubt I will shop for any fun, probably just do what I have to do and get the heck home and lounge around......yes the slug in me is coming out again. Someone kick my butt into gear for me please!!!

Gonna do 2 miles on treadmill, high incline and then 1 mile super easy walk tape. break it up. for some reason that last mile on the treadmill drives me nuts....2 I can do reasonable and say, ok, not bored but then when I have to do that last mile I get annoyed/frustrated and bored.......so will split it up and see if it makes me all less annoyed LOL

planned food is tuna/mayo and ribs tonight, but not sure what I might or might not eat. Got ribs on the brain but the guts might not handle it, we shall see.

everyone have a fab day and enjoy!!
  #695   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 05:28

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Ehhhwww Trig- Hope your not getting that tummy bug. I am with ya on having to catch up on the walking thing. You are so right- use it or lose it at our age! When do you get your RV back? I would be planning now for some road trip!

Lori- you are right, by the time golf season rolls around now you have the time to put in miles!!! I need to really get on this. I had to laugh at your "toss the hubby a bone"- so you can play with your sister!

Leeann- hope you are LOVING the beach! Soooooo jealous. Love the water. I could see me someday in the Tampa area- everyday beach. Sighhhhhh

Blue- I hate it too when those posts- magically disappear?! Hope you are well.
------------------------------------------
All-
I got some much needed sleep. I know that without sleep it seems my thinking and body is not where I want it. It takes a lot to push through a day tired. So I am happy I got some rest- but I can't wait for Friday about 4 pm!

I need to pull it together this morning - today is a big day. My boss and I are gathering the crew- total about 55-60 staff. There are about 25 Nurse NP's and then the support office staff. Well there have not been any guidelines really for the postions. This is a fairly new program- and it needed some definition. Some people will love them- some won't. But there is a need to put guidelines out there. It will be interesting.

I am still hanging at my low- no ups or dips right now. I still feel very KETO. I do love that feeling. It's not just a mental thing. I don't know how to describe it. It almost feels like inside my body- it's kicked into full gear. It does take more to burn fat than to burn simple carbs. So it does take more effort from the body.

I have ribs sitting in my fridge- I am thinking I will crock them today - and they will be ready when I get home! love that.

Hope everyone has a great day.
  #696   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 05:44

BF:

Jaz wow you sure got a busy work schedule now

ribs, great minds think alike for sure LOL

I so hear ya on the keto. I said many times you can't describe how 'clean' and 'perfect' your insides/guts and whole body feel in a true keto state. It is magical, no doubt about that
I know exactly what you are saying, it is great to have someone else loving this magical keto feeling so much like I do, it truly is something I value so much. But ya know Dr A said many times that keto is where we need to be with our bodies.

To me I see carbs so different now in that eating anything that is natural is 'more ok' then eating anything man made.....in that if I go up the carb ladder in any way it will be with a stupid veg and if I want to go into any kind of sweet (which won't be happening any time soon) it will be with berries only. You know, things made my nature and not in a factory.

The types of carbs one eats plays big on how we feel also. I noticed so much when in older times when I did really eat off plan, wow, my body felt it big time. Now I don't want to go there any more. I want this feeling to last forever and only way I can do that is stay on my plan 100%

uhhh, can ya tell I like chatting about keto? LOL It truly is a real big thing in my life, no doubt about that!!

RV, supposed to get it in a few days, when hubby is off work.
I still got things in it I need to clean out LOL but I want to get my hands on it to get that done and set up for first trip whenever. Plus I like working in RV cause I turn on the heat, jack up the stereo and have fun in it

ugh, would ya believe kiddo came out and said she has tummy ache and headache. I told her to stay home, ya know, I don't care anymore. She is straight A and not having any troubles so what the heck I truly hope we all ain't gonna go down now in this house!!!

ugh some days, I say that alot ya know, but it is so true....some days HAHA
  #697   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 08:50
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi all. I feel the need to give you my back story. I have been overweight and struggled with my weight since I was a young child, started bingeing in early elementary school. I've done the yo-yo dieting all my life, with successes here and there, but they didn't stick. In May of '15 I was at a high of 195. I began TSFL and lost 50 lbs., the first time I've ever been able to stay on a plan and reach my goal weight. It changed my life in that I finally experienced reaching my goal and living as a thin person. The plan was lower carb, but low enough for me that I was in keto. I found that freedom from cravings, energy, and all the great things keto brings. So I know down to my bones what I need to do, and the fruitlessness of the back and forth. I've kept off 35 of the 50 I lost for over a year, so I am still happy that I've managed that, and have learned a lot. I'm in such a better place than I was before. I just want to say that it's not my first rodeo, and I know exactly what I need to do, and I know this has to be for life. I do still struggle with bingeing, and maybe always will. But I went almost two full weeks without it when I recommitted the end of December. That in itself is a huge victory for me. So when I come and share about a slip I really don't need a kick in the butt, mostly just to say it. I'm just sharing where I am and trying to be real about what's going on with me. If I could do this for sheer "wanting," believe me, I would!! So every day I get up and do the very best I can that day. Some days more successfully than others. But I'm making progress, creating new habits, and feel confident that I will get to where I want to be. If it takes a while, that's okay.

Hope everyone has an awesome Thursday. Almost the weekend!
  #698   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 09:33

BF:

Alene thanks for sharing the back story and congrats on keeping most off and you do know what you are doing, you are not a newbie by any means KEWL

Sometimes we don't know the dieters past and how they are coming at low carb....so we chat on what is typed. But again, not your first rodeo. I tend to kick alot of people in the butt every now and then LOL

good explaintion tho!
  #699   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 16:36

BF:

I had struggled if to respond to several posts. So rather than put ANYONE on defense let me speak for me.
This is LCOW- OUR WAY- we all are DIFFERENT.
I am going to say what I feel in total love.
We all on slightly different plans. I feel that up until couple days ago everyone knows we respect each other.

Alene- I apologize if you feel "butt kicked". I will say you ARE new. The rest of us know each well and playfully do give a kick in the rear at TIMES. Most no. That said I would ask you also hold your judgment as well.

ALL
Well know each other well enough to know what buttons to push and what ones not. We are cool with that.

This is what I do know- again speaking for ME. I have to be 100% on plan. Am I perfect heck no. But 99.9 percent. Why you ask- BECAUSE my body is so carb sensitive that if I stray even a little - my blood sugar goes up, my bloat instant, and self control out the window. I have to be.
This for me is no game. Just sayin- it is for my health.
Several of you are able to go net carbs, treat nights, cheats here and there. And ya know what - LUCKY you. I just can't - wish I could. I don't hold judgment- because I don't like judged either.

ALL that said- we are a group of ladies- that over the course of a year have shared, stories, our struggles, and victories. We support, sometimes butt kick- we all do! Encourage. Because at the bottom of all this is the WOE. Yes they are all different- but sometimes we need each other to real us in.

I apologize if ANYONE is offended for a gentle push back when we go astray. We need each other. I don't think anything I have said was outta line. But accountability means being ACCOUNTABLE. I need and want it too.
I would hate to see us dissolve over differences. Because we started as OUR WAY- I support whatever your way is. But the bottom line is - once you pick it. follow it. Nobody is perfect. But reality is it does take work. Period. Ya do have to want to work it- so do I. It does not come free was all I was getting at.

If I no longer fit here then I don't - I certainly don't want to offend anyone- nor am I the food police. I am just a gal that wants the very best for all of us. I am going to hit 51 next weekend and for ME- I want this next year to be the best. I want to be accountable to you and love and want your support. But then again I certainly don't want to be anyone's stumbling block. Because I HAVE to be more strict.

I truly give thanks for each and everyone one of you. Love you more than you know. But I don't have or the want to feel that every word again must be measured. this is me as honest.

OUT

Last edited by Jaz66 : Thu, Jan-12-17 at 16:45.
  #700   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 17:47

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hey gals…

This is a good and positive conversation for us to have. We have a lot of affection for each other here and one thing I know is true---we all want the very best for each other. In life and in our woes. We have a special mix of great gals here, and I would be very sad to lose any one of us.

Alene---Thanks for sharing your history and your struggles. It is good to get to know you better. And it's really great you've kept those 35 pounds off! I too have gained 10 to 15 back from my low, but kept the bulk of it off. And it's not easy. But you're on the road to your goal again, and I just KNOW you've got the chops to get there... and look forward to your company as you do.

(extracurricular note: thinking about your snow shoe date coming up. OMG, that would be a scary date for me, LOL. I'm such a klutz, wouldn't know what to do with two of those big things on my feet---heck, I can fall over in a pair of sneakers. Fingers crossed for you it's a fun day.

Jaz---Don't even THINK about leaving here, or we'll have to come and get you! It's just good to know more about each other, so we can support folks in ways that work for them. Don't think anyone's judging anyone, just defining ourselves and our needs as we go.

I know it's hard for you and Trig here sometimes, because you gals are VLC and really stick to it, and that's hard enough I'm sure, w/out hearing from folks that have more flexibility. In some ways I'm sure it would be easier for you guys if we were all VLC, but LCOW is how we all came together, and has been so rewarding for us…A unique fab funny bunch of women, who all struggle with food, and who all have to find our own solutions, the ones we can live with day in, day out.

You are a big part of us Jaz, with your warm and caring heart, and your joie de vivre. We want you here, so like I said, don't get any ideas about escaping us.

Trigger---Hey, Kiddo sounds to me like the kind of gal who could be pulled out of school for a week to accompany her winter blues afflicted mama (and papa) to somewhere REALLY warm, like Puerto Vallarta or Xtapa. Such fun places, can be done very reasonably. Just sayin' We went for years w/my brother's family, whose spring break never lined up w/our son's, and he had three kids so we pulled our one out to go. No regrets, those were some of the best times of his life, and he'd be the first to tell you so!

Lori---I'd tell you to have a great time w/your sissy, but I know you guys do that every time and effortlessly. So nice the relationship you have w/her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big shoot today, so happy to finally be home and cozy. Did better than I ever have w/the craft table---none of the bad stuff looked good to me, and even the LC stuff didn't call to me. Just wasn't that hungry. Love it when that happens.

Another day in at about 20 NCs, give or take.

Starting to put together some ideas for moving backwards a bit on the scale. My first thought is that I need to get over my low and find a smaller goal, one that doesn't overwhelm me. So my new goal is to lose just 5 pounds. I would like to do this by spring/May. That gives me three months, and these days I seem to need time to lose, just doesn't happen like it used to, even when I stick to LC like glue.

Have some thought coalescing as to how to do this, going to make myself a list and share soon.

All you gals, every single one of you, make this sometimes difficult journey such a rewarding thing for me. It makes what's hard, also fun and interesting…a real treat, no carbs.
  #701   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 18:45
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Blue, thanks for your post. I agree that it's a good conversation to have. We all need different kinds of support, and the more we know each other and what our goals are, the better support we can offer. It's wonderful to have people come alongside us and cheer us on, or give a pep talk when needed. I think everyone here adds their own special flavor to this group, and that is what makes it so special. I agree that losing is harder as we get older, and also as we are closer to goal. I like your idea of a smaller, more doable goal, and a larger time frame. Maybe I should be thinking that way too.

My snowshoeing date is going to be rescheduled, because I have come down with a cold. Mr. M thinks we should wait till I'm 100%, as it will be very cold and take a lot of exertion. I admit I am a bit nervous about the whole thing. He's in great shape and I know he could leave me in the dust if he wanted to. But he is picking out a beginner trail for us. We are going to figure out a plan b for this weekend, as long as I'm feeling up to it. A nice movie and dinner might suit me better anyway! ha ha It's good to try new things though, so I'm definitely game.

Jaz, I know that you all know each other much better than I do, and have been together a long time. I can handle some accountability and straight talk. I just want people to know that I do know what I need to be doing, and that playing at it isn't going to get me anywhere but frustrated. All I can do is the best I can do, and sometimes that isn't so great! I appreciate the heart behind what you do.

Trig, I know you are chomping at the bit, waiting to get into that RV! I'm so excited for you, and I know that will make getting through the winter so much easier! I used to do a ton of Leslie tapes. Have your tried Jessica Smith? She's my new and improved Leslie. I absolutely love her stuff. Let me know if you want a recommendation.

Lori, hope the farm show is better than you think it will be! Maybe get a big coffee or tea to sip while you walk to help with temptations?

I stayed home today and am resting and getting a few things done. Praying this cold isn't the nasty one going around that lasts 2 or 3 weeks! All has been good in my food world today. Scrambled eggs with bacon, leftover chicken and veggies for lunch, and some cheese and nuts for a snack. My son is going to make a Korean dish for dinner tonight. He wants to practice for when he gets there and will cook for his girlfriend. I checked over the ingredient list and it looks pretty food for LC.
  #702   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 19:12

BF:

Ok- ...... 2 beautiful posts since mine. I will have to just say I may be a tad emotional and APOLIGIZE. I am bleeding and PMS again for the second time in 15 days- hot and heavy.

WOE- sometimes I will admit I wish I could have the ability to have days off. But because of my "wicked" ways in the past I have burned out my pancreas and I am super carb sensitive. totally my fault.
Alene- I get binging- totally that is WHY I have to stay focus. I don't have the umph.... to stop at 1 cookie, or whatever. I don't. I will eat the ENTIRE whatever. For me that is truth. And I speak it.
I have found that people in recovery- regardless of what it is- addiction is addiction ..... are the most honest. That is how I choose to live my live. I am a recovering carb addict/ eating disorder. I get real honest. That it the only way to be for ME.

So sometimes if I am brutally honest- I can be no other way. Do I have compassion for the struggling- heckK yes. I do every SINGLE day. Sometimes every meal.

This little corner of the world where we of all different places come together and share has been PRICELESS for me. I tear up even writing that I would stop. But I certainly would never want to be a road block for someone else. I DO have a strong personality. Those here that know me smile and nod- and move on. I mean nothing harsh- I have a heart to help. But I am a nurse and real.
Sometimes its hard to walk that line between wanting to help and being a ear and butting in. I tend to BUT in real hard- in love. Just ya all know that.

Ok said my piece.
Blue- So glad today was awesome for you. Hope you are relaxing on that shag carpet of yours.

Ok done now
  #703   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 20:26

BF:

Great posts on the board guys.

Alene too bad you are sick but like ya said snowshoe take alot of work. I would cross country ski alot and wow, it was so much fun but brutual when we went straight for alot of miles, then realize we gotta turn around and get back LOL Feel better soon.

My tummy is crazy. Bloated like 9 mos. preggo.

Only thing I can think since I am not sick in any other way than tummy......it is those small salads. Deadly to me. My guts can't handle plant material at all

back to 100% total meat only. I thrive on that. I am gut hurt right now, gotta let this go away now. I will feed all that rabbit food to kiddo I ain't eating it anymore

Hope I wake up better than I feel now. woof, some days are rough for sure
  #704   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 22:21

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hey Ladies,

Quick check in from Charleston! Walked my FEET OFF today going here there and everywhere. Beautiful sights, beautiful weather, great food. Having a really nice time.

That being said there have been social obligations I have had to meet and dressing up I have had to do.. not my favorite. Doing okay with that. Am having to spend time tomorrow with the wife of some guy in the group who became attached to me (I didn't even know her NAME and it turns out to be Babs. BABS?) and I dodged her yesterday but can't today. Ah well, I can deal with it for a half a day I suppose.

Good convo here on the board re: support and such. I care about each of you a great deal and I know we all want the best for each other. Just so you know, the best way to support me is to just let me talk. I know what I need to do, know I am more liberal in my eating than most, and being called out usually makes me none too happy. Hoping I give you each what you need to be most successful. Alene, love your story and believe you will accomplish exactly what you wish in the time that is right for you. Journey and Balance, my friends, and in all things love!

xoxo
  #705   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 03:36

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

Great posts......I think we all know the path we must take.....some of us just tend to wander off the path more often than others. Knowing what must be done and doing it are two very different things as we all know. The important part is being here for each other, and as Nic said...just having this place to talk and get stuff off our chests. Love this place and all of you!

I got lots of steps in at the Farm Show yesterday. We had a nice time, and yes, I ate things I shouldn't have. Over and done with....new day today. Anyway, I did 3 miles on the treadmill before we left yesterday morning and another 2.5 miles walking around the show. We were both tired and came home in the afternoon and took a nap.

Today I have to get ready to head to my sister's early tomorrow morning. I think I have most of my clothes laid out, but have to lay in some food for DH and do a little cooking. I want to bake some bacon to take along and also for DH to have here. I'm also going to bake a ham loaf this afternoon so he has that for lunches and dinners. I made him lasagna this week so he has that for warm ups. He won't starve!

Off to boot camp in a little while. Also have that mileage to get in today too. Who came up with this walking challenge thing? What a pain in the a$$!

Have a great Friday everyone!
Closed Thread