Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-16, 18:47

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 236/220/185 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Fat-tastic!!

So, I'm on about week 11, and learning as I go. Have had a slow couple of weeks. I've been reading through the forum and getting great advice.

I was reminded that "Fat is my Friend" - for many reasons. So I bought some coconut oil, and have been adding it to my daily coffee, and frying my eggs in tablespoonS of butter.

Last night went to Outback to celebrate a family event. I had some chicken wings for an appetizer, a caeser salad, and a fatty 8 oz. prime rib. YUM!

I weighed myself this morning, and low and behold... Lost almost 3 lbs.!!

Whoopee!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-16, 18:51

Plan: Atkins, LCHF
Stats: 275/138/165 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 125%

That's fantastic and congratulations. One of the biggest things about this WOE is the other half of the title. Low carb, yes. That's essential. The other part is HIGH FAT. That's what an LCHF diet means. By all means, please. Explore your new world.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-16, 19:01

BF:

Well, I had the low carb part down pat. I guess I was struggling with the HF part.

After being fat my whole LIFE, I still can't wrap my mind around how I'm eating (and losing!!!!)! It's everything I was taught, nagged and bullied to avoid.

I saw prime rib, and my first thought was, "oh, if only". My husband asked "why not?" And I stopped and said "oh YEAH!"
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-16, 00:09

Plan: Atkins, Primal,
Stats: 169/158/137 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Same here After spending most of my life trying to avoid fat and too much animal protein which would be LFHC, I'm really enjoying doing exactly the opposite HFLC. The other day I was cutting the fat off a steak when I thought I would just eat it and see what happened. I lost another pound Of course I'm studying the science behind it and understand about depleting glycogen levels from the liver and the presence of ketones when the body switches to fat burning and most of the initial weight loss being water but still...it's an easy diet to stick to. I enjoy having cream in my coffee and eating a whole avocado for lunch. It's a real indulgence for me and I gladly give up the sugar to be able to enjoy this WOE.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-16, 22:13

BF:

I'm right there with you locarber16! I really love eating the good stuff I denied myself for years!!

But, sometimes it's hard to remember to keep the fat levels up. I need to post a big note on my fridge! :-)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-16, 09:52

Plan: <30 total carbs
Stats: 216/183/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I usually remember to eat fat with my meals because I notice that I'm really hungry a lot faster if I don't. It's just become a habit for me now, and if I go somewhere where there is only a lean option like grilled chicken, I take along a piece of pre-wrapped cheese in a cooler pack or something with fat to add to my meal.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-16, 21:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/182/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Great advice and I need to eat more fat, thank you all for the great comments.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-16, 08:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Insulin lowering
Stats: 144/134/122 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

Getting enough fat is tough for me, too. I am really fat-verse - always ate steamed veggies, have never eaten chicken skin, etc. I'm happily oiling and buttering it up, but I can't bring myself to eat meat fat because it turns my stomach and makes me gag. It's partly a texture thing, partly in my mind. And I can't do a lot of dairy, can't do the nuts and avocado, so I really struggle. On my best day I hit 100 grams, but I average 60-70. Have no idea if that's enough, but my options appear to be limited. But it's WAY better than what I used to do, which is practically zero.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-16, 05:46
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I guess my fav meal of deep fried pork fat that has some lean meat in it would qualify as LCHF moderate protein and a nutritionists worst nightmare too he heh. Gotta Love it.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-16, 14:32

Plan: Atkins, Primal,
Stats: 169/158/137 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi Lynn...there is a product called MCT Oil which stands for medium chain fatty acids. It's a great way to add extra fat to your diet. Add it to coffee, smoothies etc.
As for me, I'm quite happy tearing the grizzle and fat off a mutton bone.
Primal lc and loving it!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-16, 16:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Low Carb Healthy Fat is how I like to think of it.

Hiltm, sometimes I'll eat 4 tbsp of regular mayo with a tin of tuna. I love cream in coffee, natural peanut butter, the oils, mucho butter on veggies, avocados, eggs, an ounce of either macadamia nuts, pumpkin seeds, walnuts or almonds, and hemp hearts.

Do you monitor your daily macros in terms of percentage on fat, protein and carbs? I love fitday.com because after logging in your daily food, it tells you where you're sitting on these and other variables. It's free, if you're interested.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-16, 07:08

BF:

Okay, I'm bad. I keep seeing people mention macros... from your description it must be a breakdown of fat, protein, etc...

But what should those numbers be?

thanks,
-Meredith (still in the dark)
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-16, 07:25

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi Meredith.

There are varying opinions on macros, but generally keep carbs low, as you know (it varies with which version of Atkins you're doing and how long). I try or keep under 30 grams net carbs now, but was under 20 when I began about three and a half months ago.

Protein recommendations are also all over the place and vary based on your weight and activity level. For me, I figure about 70 grams per day is about right.

Fat is frequently recommended at twice the protein grams.

Having said all that, I don't worry about measuring these each day (except carbs) and just put fat on veggies and even beef and keep protein moderate and it's working great!

Carole
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-17, 22:36

BF:

Carole - is that right? 70 grams?

If my conversation is right, that's only about 2.5 oz of protein a day?? Holy cow. I'd never survive on that.

-Meredith
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 11:18

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Spread a pat of butter on a hot steak (or any meat or fish for that matter) once you plated it up. Delish!!