Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 15:06

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Baby fed vegan diet hospitalized for malnutrition

They keep saying that a vegan diet is fine as long as you take lots of supplements.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...laborative_2_na
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 16:07

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

From the article:

Quote:
But there’s a caveat: Veganism requires a lot of extra work. Parents and caregivers, the Slate columnist writes, “have to ensure that their children are getting the calories and wide variety of nutrients they need — not a small feat when dealing with typically fussy, food-neophobic kids.”

Which tells me it's not normal. Staying alive shouldn't be that hard. And what's with an under 6-week old baby not being breastfed? Vegans should know that breast milk - while not vegan - is perfectly normal for infants. Much more natural than soy milk.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 17:27

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

How many vegan parents can tell the difference between nutrient dense and nutrient hollow foods? How many understand that saturated fat is essential for developing babies and young children? Keeping kids alive with a diet providing the fats and nutrients they require should not be a game of political correctness. I don't give a whit about offending a vegan in the name of healthy children.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 18:01

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
And what's with an under 6-week old baby not being breastfed? Vegans should know that breast milk - while not vegan - is perfectly normal for infants. Much more natural than soy milk.

I haven't read the article (I know my limits and I'm already irritated reading the title) so maybe they address this, but not everyone is able to breastfeed.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 18:13

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaR
I haven't read the article (I know my limits and I'm already irritated reading the title) so maybe they address this, but not everyone is able to breastfeed.

I know that (LLL leader for years) but the article didn't mention it. This is what the article said:
Quote:
In 2007, a vegan couple were given life sentences after their 6-week-old baby boy died of starvation in 2004. They had fed the baby a diet of mainly soy milk and apple juice, and a jury found the couple guilty of murder, manslaughter and cruelty to children.

If the mother wasn't able to breastfeed, I would think the sentence would have been lighter - that is, if she tried to keep baby alive but was ignorant.

I recall reading about a vegan mother in Britain (I think) who refused to breastfeed her child because breast milk isn't vegan (if I'm remembering correctly). Some people are just too stupid to have children.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 19:20

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I know that (LLL leader for years) but the article didn't mention it. This is what the article said:

If the mother wasn't able to breastfeed, I would think the sentence would have been lighter - that is, if she tried to keep baby alive but was ignorant.

I recall reading about a vegan mother in Britain (I think) who refused to breastfeed her child because breast milk isn't vegan (if I'm remembering correctly). Some people are just too stupid to have children.

Thanks for the clarification. I try not to jump to conclusions.

Yeah, being infertile I have a particular brand of anger for people who never should have had children. Not that anything would have made this situation less horrifying.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 19:25

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 180/169/135 Female 61 in.
BF:
Progress: 24%

Sad, just sad. Why didn't they use soy based baby formula. I am not saying that it is healthier than breast milk by any means, but at least it would sustain the baby. *sigh*
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 21:35

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycan
Sad, just sad. Why didn't they use soy based baby formula. I am not saying that it is healthier than breast milk by any means, but at least it would sustain the baby. *sigh*

Probably because it contains nutrients derived from animal products. I hate seeing these stories and apologetics from the authors and from medical professionals. These are the first humans in history to be fed vegan diets from birth and they are guinea pigs. It's rotten.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 22:19

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

It's important to note that the official guidelines diet is deficient a priori, by virtue of the fortified foods that it contains. Without the fortification, the deficiencies would be obvious, or rather more obvious than they are now. The history of fortification begins with diseases of deficiencies like rickets for example. Well, the history of fortification of a vegan diet also begins with diseases of deficiencies. A shame that babies and kids must suffer before adults get their heads out of their asses.

Whenever I hear about kids suffering, I get mad, and even more mad that I can't do a thing about it.

Here's an idea. We often debate with vegans about diet, well let's change that a bit if only for the sake of these kids. We are aware that a vegan diet is deficient, let's inform these people about that especially when they mention they have kids. I mean, are we so insensitive that we're going to focus only on being right?

Anyways, that's what Ima do next opportunity. So maybe I can actually do something about it after all.