Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#376   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 02:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Wow, Kat, big news around the corner. Do you continue to do 23 hour fasts three days a week?
You are one of many who pushed the book sales yesterday. At some point in the day the book was in the top ten of all books, fiction and non-fiction, on Amazon. Jimmy keeps posting the sales records everywhere. Amazon changes sales figures every hour, but it is still at 37 of ALL books, and near top of all diet books. New books always spike as they mail out the copies, but will be interesting if word of mouth gives it staying power.

The book that is amazing is Whole30, right now still #20 in all books...18 months after publication! It is always at the top of diet and health books, even higher ranked than the Hartwigs brand new book, Food Freedom. The Whole 30 concept of an elimination diet followed by real foods seems to have a life of its own, as they haven't promoted it much since publication.

Dr Fung's post about the book was a bit OTT..it sounded like Jimmy Moore wrote it instead of a doctor. As other commentators wrote before I had a chance, there are a number of German, Swiss and Eastern European Fasting Clinics that have been around for fifty years or so. think I posted this article last year about the well known Buchinger, and others with years of experience.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...-fasted-11-days.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Oct-19-16 at 05:17.
Sponsored Links
  #377   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 13:51

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster
I got his new book today, not because I thought it would be terribly revelatory (after all, I've watched just about every video and read every blog), but because I wanted to support his work, and to have it on hand when friends ask what I've done to lose so much weight.
Can you tell yet how much of it is Jimmy (stream of consciousness conversational with lots of CAPITALIZED and italicized words and exclamation points) and how much is Fung (organized and concise with a bit of humour)?

In Canada Amazon says it will be shipping in 1-2 months.
  #378   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 17:03

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Kat--I just realized: you are nearly back to onederland, Girl. Fantastic work! You'll definitely be there well before the end of the year.

Thanks for noticing! It's because of Jason Fung that I have been making progress. I won't say exactly what I'm doing so I don't get in trouble here (I've had to move over to fasting support groups -- I'm not doing anything extreme, however), but his protocol works. I think I'll be in Onderland by the end of this month! I'm pretty excited about it.
  #379   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Can you tell yet how much of it is Jimmy (stream of consciousness conversational with lots of CAPITALIZED and italicized words and exclamation points) and how much is Fung (organized and concise with a bit of humour)?

In Canada Amazon says it will be shipping in 1-2 months.

I've only read a couple of chapters, but it's less Jimmy and more edited Jason Fung (no salty language). It's similar to his IDM blogs. I think it will be perfect for anyone new to fasting.
  #380   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Wow, Kat, big news around the corner. Do you continue to do 23 hour fasts three days a week?
You are one of many who pushed the book sales yesterday. At some point in the day the book was in the top ten of all books, fiction and non-fiction, on Amazon. Jimmy keeps posting the sales records everywhere. Amazon changes sales figures every hour, but it is still at 37 of ALL books, and near top of all diet books. New books always spike as they mail out the copies, but will be interesting if word of mouth gives it staying power.

The book that is amazing is Whole30, right now still #20 in all books...18 months after publication! It is always at the top of diet and health books, even higher ranked than the Hartwigs brand new book, Food Freedom. The Whole 30 concept of an elimination diet followed by real foods seems to have a life of its own, as they haven't promoted it much since publication.

Dr Fung's post about the book was a bit OTT..it sounded like Jimmy Moore wrote it instead of a doctor. As other commentators wrote before I had a chance, there are a number of German, Swiss and Eastern European Fasting Clinics that have been around for fifty years or so. think I posted this article last year about the well known Buchinger, and others with years of experience.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...-fasted-11-days.

I think the book will be great for new fasters -- so far it reads more like the IDM blogs. I'll get a chance to read more this weekend.

I've had to move past 23:1 fasts as my body simple adjusted to those. Mine are longer now, but I'm not really going to say so I don't get in trouble with the moderators -- but I'm not doing anything extreme, and I'll be talking to my doctor about it next week with plenty of lab tests.

I've also lowered my protein intake to 50 grams or less a day on the days I eat, and limit most of my protein to one meal to reduce insulin spikes.

I still have another 50-70 pounds to go, so I don't want to get too cocky about it all -- but I do feel like I have control over the process now.
  #381   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 02:53

Diedra, Jimmy had a FB post that the publisher is rushing more print copies to Amazon warehouses, and the 1-2 months should drop to available soon. The wait will not be that long. Unexpected demand.

Kat, Thank you! Congrats to you. I wandered to your journal, a safe haven for your inner faster.
  #382   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 08:06

Plan: vsg/low carb
Stats: 306/153/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I bought the kindle version of the new book and have been reading it.

I was hoping he would address low adrenals/thyroid and if you should fast or not, but from the section that addresses who shouldn't fast he doesn't mention this issue. I was really disappointed.
  #383   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 08:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

yogama, I don't know enough about IF to be able to discuss it more than on the surface.

But it seems to me that if a particular issue is NOT mentioned as preventing safely using IF, than it isn't an issue. It's not as though there was room in a normal length book to discuss EVERY issue, you know?

And, being one who is hypothyroid, and having some understanding of adrenal issues, I can't really see how either or both of them would preclude fasting.
  #384   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 08:44

BF:

From the few that have mentioned it to me they say that
fasting stresses the body and therefore would put additional
stress on the adrenals.

I am no expert either!

I keep thinking that Dr. Fung's clinic has guided thousands of patients in
fasting to treat T2D and there have got to be many with low adrenals/thyroid.

I want to fast so badly to start to get my FBG down to below 100. But I
don't want to make my adrenals worse.
  #385   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 09:42

On the DietDoctor website, they have launched a new Q& A service for you to ask Dr Fung qeneral questions like that...not medical advice. The new service is different from previous so all those old questions Are archived. I skimmed them, and this seems the only related.

Quote:
I read about Problems with intermittent or longer lasting fasting and thyroid problems, especially hypothyroidism (or hashimoto). Can you say something about that?
Fasting does not cause hypothyroidism unless you become severely iodine deficient. Hashimoto’s disease is an autoimmune disease and is not much related to diet, good or bad.

There are many problems that occur with fasting, though. The most common are constipation, headaches, and hunger pangs. There are strategies to deal with these. Many medications can also cause problems on an empty stomach and should be discussed with a physician.

Anything more serious than that is not part of normal fasting and should be investigated.

Suggest you ask him directly, he was good about quick replies last time.
  #386   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 10:38

BF:

Thanks Janet! I think I will try to do that this weekend.
  #387   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogama
From the few that have mentioned it to me they say that
fasting stresses the body and therefore would put additional
stress on the adrenals.

I am no expert either!

I keep thinking that Dr. Fung's clinic has guided thousands of patients in
fasting to treat T2D and there have got to be many with low adrenals/thyroid.

I want to fast so badly to start to get my FBG down to below 100. But I
don't want to make my adrenals worse.

I don't think you'll find much on adrenals or thyroid by Dr. Fung -- it's not really his area. I believe he mentioned once that the idea of adrenal fatigue has no research, so he doesn't take much stock in the idea (I am paraphrasing from memory here -- don't quote me on it).

I have Hashimotos and have observed my TSH, FT3 and FT4 are much better eating this way, and with fasting -- I'll get another test in a week or so, so I'll see if that continues. I have completely eliminated all grains and sugars, which could possibly have reduced inflammation -- which has been suggested as a reason for autoimmune disorders (which Hashimotos is). But that is pure speculation on my part. I just know I am doing better (I still take Armour Thyroid), with both a ketogenic diet and fasting.
  #388   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 11:45

BF:

Kat,
That's really good to know! Thanks so much for responding.

I may just have to experiment on myself and see how it goes.
I probably wont try to fast until after the first of the year
because I need to get off coffee first. I have been needing to
get off of it anyway but I really want to be off of it by the time
I start fasting because I like cream in it and I will get a headache
if I don't drink any.

Its been much harder for me to stop since I went to cold brew
and I enjoy it so much.
  #389   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-16, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogama
Kat,
That's really good to know! Thanks so much for responding.

I may just have to experiment on myself and see how it goes.
I probably wont try to fast until after the first of the year
because I need to get off coffee first. I have been needing to
get off of it anyway but I really want to be off of it by the time
I start fasting because I like cream in it and I will get a headache
if I don't drink any.

Its been much harder for me to stop since I went to cold brew
and I enjoy it so much.

I have had to lower my caffeine intake, but now I make half-caff coffee in a French press every morning -- whether I'm eating or not. I have some HWC and it's heaven. Why do you need to give it up?
  #390   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-16, 14:40

BF:

I was told that caffeine is hard on adrenals plus when fasting
even more so.

I also think but don't know yet that the cream may be raising
my BG numbers.

Also, I have 3 to 4 cups of coffee every morning and I put
1 tablespoon of cream in each and if I drink that while fasting I don't