Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-16, 18:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265.2/246.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Observations of a different forum

This is the 2nd time I've followed this WOE and like to think I have it down pretty well as far as how AND why it works, as well as the correct WOE that makes it work.

This forum, unless you follow a lot of the journals, doesn't seem to have a whole lot of activity so I visited the "community" of the tracker app I use. I really like lowcarber.org and there's so many knowledgeable people here with great info but it's a bit slow moving 😉

Something I really find annoying and/or disturbing is some of the information that is handed out as gospel 😒 over there.

I had almost decided to leave them and I thought why NOT just tell them? ie, you can't cut carb & fats and restrict calories and expect that to be a sustainable WOE 😉

Last edited by buttersmom : Fri, Dec-09-16 at 19:04.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-16, 19:33

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Something I really find annoying and/or disturbing is some of the information that is handed out as gospel 😒 over there.

Me too.

Quote:
I had almost decided to leave them and I thought why NOT just tell them? ie, you can't cut carb & fats and restrict calories and expect that to be a sustainable WOE 😉

That's what I do. I'm not so big on LCHF anymore. Fat is no longer very sating to me.

Here's a recient quote from someone's journal,
Quote:
Dr. Masino, the adenosine researcher whose talk I posted, talks about the ketogenic diet causing weight loss in some, but weight gain in others (here she's talking about people who needed to lose weight, and people who needed to gain it, respectively). These differences become more obvious when you're looking at a blatant disease state, but it seems pretty likely that there's massive variation short of that. This is why for a long time my answer to "should I try eating higher fat, or higher protein?" has been yes. In the same way that low carb in general should at least be in the toolbox, any reasonable variation should be as well.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-16, 19:46
Registered Member

BF:

So what keeps you from feeling hungry? I know Atkins doesn't work so well for some people but it's been the only WOE I've lost weight with and am happy with what I'm eating.

Thanks for your input I 😊
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-16, 20:15

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi, Buttersmom.

Historically, most people have sought out "diet plans" for the purpose of losing weight. Duh. Now with the overwhelming evidence of diabetes, heart disease, and soaring obesity, diets are being examined for other health benefits and for sustainability.

LCHF is a good choice for many, even those who are not concerned with weight management. So when we decide what "works" weight loss may be far from the most important factor. Being happy with what we eat and eliminating unhealthy hunger and cravings (and allergies and intestinal issues and a bunch of other pesky problems) are the joys of REAL food carefully chosen.

Best wishes.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-16, 21:45

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
LCHF is a good choice for many, even those who are not concerned with weight management. So when we decide what "works" weight loss may be far from the most important factor. Being happy with what we eat and eliminating unhealthy hunger and cravings (and allergies and intestinal issues and a bunch of other pesky problems) are the joys of REAL food carefully chosen.

I'm not following Atkins as I'm a t2 diabetic so Dr. B's method is best for me. But I agree especially with the part of your post that I bolded. As we were eating lunch today I told my husband that this is the best diet I've ever been on - I like everything I can eat! And my bg is down, my weight is down, cravings are mostly gone, my general health is better - what's not to love.

But apparently it doesn't work for everyone. Pity. I'd be an evangelist if I thought it would.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-16, 04:18
Registered Member

BF:

Good morning! I do agree, and even tho I'm a type-2 diabetic, the benefits other than weight loss from changing my WOE really were kind of an afterthought.

Live & Let Live is pretty much my motto, although I do go a little blind sometimes lol. Thanks for the input 😊
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-16, 05:58

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttersmom
Good morning! I do agree, and even tho I'm a type-2 diabetic, the benefits other than weight loss from changing my WOE really were kind of an afterthought.

Live & Let Live is pretty much my motto, although I do go a little blind sometimes lol. Thanks for the input 😊

Buttersmom,

Are the health benefits still an afterthought? I hope not.

Jean
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-16, 07:32

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttersmom
So what keeps you from feeling hungry? I know Atkins doesn't work so well for some people but it's been the only WOE I've lost weight with and am happy with what I'm eating.

Thanks for your input I 😊

You're very kind. Thank you.

My weight has bounced up from my absolute min. I've kind of isolated it to one physical issue for which I'm going through therapy. As I've started therapy, I found that to build my muscles, I'm having to eat more protein, casein protein shakes, in fact. In the few months before that I was on the road a lot and would carry casein protein in my check in luggage. Now I've seen the more protein I eat, the less hungry I am. Weird.

Just a note, casein is the slowest digesting protein I know of and it was my hope it would not cause much of an insulin spike. Maybe I was right to some extent. Dunno of course.

Also, something that makes me different from some/most on this forum, I've had apparent problems on the low blood sugar side (or at least the symptoms of it). The first time I tried Atkins in 2003 I had to get off it due to having very low energy and headaches in the afternoon. I've come to wonder if I've had low BS for a very long time and self treated it with excessive carbs.

This is all speculation of course.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-16, 09:17

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It sounds like sound speculation.

I can add that I am currently happy doing a 4-6 hour eating window that is moderate carb; I cannot yet get into ketosis, but I can at least IF, which I could not do in my previous state of health. Progress!

I have what is called a Stone Age Pancreas; at the slightest input of food, it releases Tanker Car of Insulin. Larger meals at long intervals works for me.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-16, 09:52

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I have what is called a Stone Age Pancreas; at the slightest input of food, it releases Tanker Car of Insulin. Larger meals at long intervals works for me.

Huh - I wonder if that, or something similar, is part of my problem. I found that it doesn't matter how little I eat, my bg goes up almost as much as if I ate a full meal - especially in the evening. I think that's why the 2 meals during the day when I'm active & fasting from lunch to breakfast works for me.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-16, 08:08
Registered Member

BF:

Good morning 😀 Jean, they're definitely not an afterthought now. Had my blood drawn yesterday for this Friday's review and I'm really kinda excited 😀 I'm down 17 lbs as of today too!

Inflammabl, it's really hard figuring out the right plan to follow 😉 if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!

Have a really nice Sunday!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-16, 15:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thanksgiving to New Year's can be a real snore...on all diet sites
Have you tried some of the diet options on the Diabetes sub-forum?
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-16, 16:07
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Doing better fasting and having some beef jerky for protein. Started gaining on LC high-fat even though it was the "Gold-Standard" for my success before ... go figure. Anyway I am back to 185 lb [lost 15 lb gain in just 2 mo] and even drink some red wine most days?
Some hunger at times, but staying busy and active helps a great deal.

A friend swears by a "WeightWatchers" or sparkspeople? diet and has lost more than I have, but she had much more to lose. She also recently ended up in hospital for anxiety and high blood pressure :-(