Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 18:27

Plan: Atkins + IF
Stats: 200/180/150 Male 68 inches
BF:blah
Progress: 40%

I am a truck driver and I eat mostly mc'd's mcdouble, and/or wendys double stack, both are off the dollar menu. I then throw the bun away.

It's working great for me, and I love love love cheeseburgers.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 02:21

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

You can make a 'sort of' wrap using either a thin omelette or the revolution roll recipe. Or use a large lettuce or cooked cabbage leaf to contain the filling.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, May-09-09, 22:29

Plan: Vegetaian Low Carb
Stats: 318/294.6/115 Female 64
BF:Over 65%
Progress: 12%

Buzzman, I'll remember that for future use! The whole cheeseburger thing. I like cheeseburgers, but they're not my favorite. I had actually forgotten they're on the dollar menu. I try to not even go into fast food places because the I can never seem to win any of the 'conversations' with myself. You know it really bad when you can't even with one of those arguments!

I wish I had a way to make the egg 'wrap' thingy or the rolls but it I haven't gotten that one figured out yet. *adds another note*
  #19   ^
Old Sun, May-10-09, 02:12

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

Curry = stew.

Cocnut oil can be bought from health food stores, or ordered from, among others,
Tropical Traditions. Pretty sure the address is straightforward, but google it and see.

Now, it IS expensive, but I bought a gallon pail from the UK version of TT, and that lasts a while. It gives me a boost, but more importantly, it's an easy way to add more fat when I feel like my last meal had too little of it. As to the health benefits? It contains large amounts of medium chain triglycerides, a type of fat that gives energy but is not stored. That's right, this goes straight to the liver to be converted into ketones, so it helps keep you in ketosis. And one of the main fatty acids in coconut oil is lauric acid, which is the main fat (I think the main one) in breast milk.

Rocket, or ruccola, or arugula is a kind of salad greens. It does not keep well, I only included it because it's always a staple in my version of chicken salad. Any others will do (but won't taste as great, lol!)

85% chocolate is gorgeous. It may take a little getting used to, as the taste is strong and rather bitter. Ever hear of bittersweet chocolate? Think 85% with added sugar. Actually, on LC, this is plenty sweet enough. And witht the strong taste it's easy to limit consumption, and it's GORGEOUS with coffee...

As I said, this will take care of some of the meals when you leave home, and the curries / stews will keep longer than the chicken salad. Just never keep them longer than, at the most, say 4 days or so? That's a lot of meals though. Once you get the fridge/freezer, watch out!!

The protein powder I use is Tech Nutrition Prozyme. It's egg protein (doesn't taste like eggs, honest). Eggs are the only food other than breast milk that has ALL the essential amino acids. Thus it's a complete meal replacement. Be sure to add some fat. I add coconut oil, but whatever you do, don't just drink this and go, because you will go mad with hunger three hours later. You have to add fat. Maybe mix it with heavy cream, if you can stand it, or drink a dwig of cream after, as you said you'll do anyway?

I just thought of a nuke-it-till-it-screams idea, too: How about buying the topping stuff for pizza, just some tomato sauce (read the label carefully and watch the amounts!) shredded ham or frozen meatballs or baby sausages, maybe some frozen veggies, like a stir-fry pack, and lots of shredded cheese. And the spices, oregano, salt and pepper, thyme, garlic powder, or whatever you like. Throw in a bown then nuke. I think that would make a nice, simple pizza salad! And maybe eat it with a little actual salad (the bagged kind).

Hope this helps!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, May-10-09, 11:48

Plan: Keto
Stats: 148/146/133 Female 5'4
BF:36%/23/?
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzman
I am a truck driver and I eat mostly mc'd's mcdouble, and/or wendys double stack, both are off the dollar menu. I then throw the bun away.

It's working great for me, and I love love love cheeseburgers.

lol me too-well not really fast food ones, but they are good in pinch. those are the only 2 things fast food I programmed into fitday (that and the side salads from each place). I order them w/o bun or kethup, b/c I do NOT need the tempatation, plus I am a weirdo about not wanting to throw things away (so I eat them).
  #21   ^
Old Tue, May-12-09, 00:15

Plan: Vegetaian Low Carb
Stats: 318/294.6/115 Female 64
BF:Over 65%
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
I just thought of a nuke-it-till-it-screams idea, too: How about buying the topping stuff for pizza, just some tomato sauce (read the label carefully and watch the amounts!) shredded ham or frozen meatballs or baby sausages, maybe some frozen veggies, like a stir-fry pack, and lots of shredded cheese. And the spices, oregano, salt and pepper, thyme, garlic powder, or whatever you like. Throw in a bown then nuke. I think that would make a nice, simple pizza salad! And maybe eat it with a little actual salad (the bagged kind).

OMG! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I had that for supper tonight but I kinda adjusted it. What I did was put meatballs in a bowl and added a bit of pizza sauce and then topped it with a bunch of mozzerella cheese! Yummy! And so filling! And it stopped my craving for pizza too!

I also think I may have a possible solution to dinner! Besides the meatball pizza thing I found these little containers of meat entrees. You just nuke 'em for 4 minutes and call it good. It's great! No food prep, not high carb! Just heat and eat! And while they're not carb free they are low carb. 5-6 carbs per serving!

I want to thank everyone for all the great idea and thoughts! It's really helping me find my path and I feel more hopeful now than I have in a very long time!

*group virtual hug* lol
  #22   ^
Old Tue, May-12-09, 14:31

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%

You can totally do scrambled eggs in the microwave - cheap and easy. Crack as many as you like into a bowl, add a glug of cream and a handful of cheese, and stir. Nuke for a minute, then remove and stir again. Repeat until they're done to your liking. You could add precooked sausage or bacon to this.

Other nuke it in a bowl suggestions: tuna melt. I saw that you're not a fan of seafood, but if you can stomach canned tuna, just mix it with some mayo and top with cheese, nuke and eat (you can top it with tomato slices, spread it on cucumber slices, dip pork rinds in it, etc). You could do something similar with canned chicken.

Ground beef can be nuked till brown and turned into a taco bowl (season the meat with chili powder, cumin, salt, lime juice, etc and add cheese, lettuce, olives, whatever you like).

You can make cheese crisps in the microwave by nuking small piles of shredded cheese (cheddar or parmesan) until they harden.

As for sweets, Redi Whip is a good idea but even better is the Land O Lakes canned whipped cream that is sweetened with Splenda - no carbs at all. It's expensive, but worth it if it will keep you on track. Also, 85% chocolate simply means any high quality dark chocolate bar that has at least 85% cacao content. Lindt is the most ubiquitous brand in the US, but all the high end chocolate makers make an 85% (sometimes even a 90%). I think there's about 20g of sugar in an entire bar, but since the chocolate is so intense, it's really hard to eat more than a square or two. I like to smear it with sugar free peanut butter for a little treat!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-16, 09:00

Plan: Newbie
Stats: 190/190/180 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Truckers

Today is 11/21/16. I am the wife of a OTR trucker who desperately needs to lose weight. Eating while OTR is so hard and discouraging. And, I am not with him to help him. We have done low carb in the past, the Walmart thing, taking food, etc. However, that is not working for him. Most days, he eats a bag of sunflower seeds, or whatever is available in truck stops. Please don't respond with preparing food in his truck, as this is not an optio. I agree with another poster, Atkins shakes are not good. Don't know why they don't have a juice flavoured drink, as the milkshake are too sweet and leave an aftertaste. I know I sound like I'm whining, but if anyone else has these problems, would love to hear from them. All truckers are not created equal, nor are their wives.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-16, 10:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

See Gypsybyrd's answers in this thread, post #3 is good.
To "talk" to her directly, hit the green journal button at bottom of any of her posts...can ask her questions, more current advice there if she doesn't see this one.

As for the shakes and bars, I'd suggest trying the Quest products, better quality ingredients.http://www.questnutrition.com
And this year, Walmart started to carry them. Best price, can buy singles or four packs of bars, but Quest only sell powders not pre-made shakes. Only need add a scoop of powder with a can of coconut milk and just shake in a jar and drink.
For liquid drinks I use to buy a LC EAS shake product also sold in Walmart that I thought better tasting than Atkins.

Edit: Ha!! Went to look up the name for you and they have jumped on the Ketogenic Bandwagon! A keto meal replacement powder pack product: https://eas.com. Check out all the bodybuilding diet tips from the Keto athlete..yikes
The AdvantEdge still has a good macro profile as well.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Nov-22-16 at 10:18.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-16, 16:06

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

^^ I used the EAS shakes when I was working and in grad school at night. They are definitely healthier than Atkins shakes, but now I prefer more natural options ( I would choose making your own with powder and milk sub, or mixing up almond milk, sweetener, eggbeaters and cinnamon in a shaker cup- you could also use canned coconut milk or add cream).

To the original poster- I am not a trucker, but I was veg for a longtime as a low carber. From your posts, it seems you like meat when prepared for you, but you dislike cooking it? Just thinking that may be case since you let chicken rot, but order taco salad with chili.
I would recommend getting rid of that barrier by buying rotisserie chicken ($5 gets a whole bird- about 4 meals).
Also, pre made chicken sausages, meatballs, etc.... That you just have to heat are less "icky" to a former veg.
I highly recommend suggestion to make egg scrambles in microwave- I add a few ounces cream cheese and sometimes spinach or leftover cooked veg like broccoli or mushrooms/onions. But make sure to fill that mug with hot water so it doesn't stick before you wash it. Also keep an eye- they really expand before collapsing back down. It can be huge mess if it overflows.

I also love pizza in a bowl, like you had.
A similar idea but different spin is to misrowave chunked bell pepper for a minute. Then cover in cheddar and a little faghita seasoning (easy to make and keep in ziploc). After cheese melts, cover in guac, sour cream, and salsa.
If you have cooked chicken on hand (left over from that rotisserie!) shred (can even use scissors) and add before melting cheese.

overtime you wil find loads of low carb foods you like to make in truck, but I think you need to figure out strategies for times when you end up eating out. Pick your usual favorites and post them. Let's look at choices together.
If you go in thinking you are eating out, so it is game over tonight, you are destined to fail as a distance driver. You need plan b.
Sometimes you might just want the company- so even if a truck stop omelet is spends compared to making it yourself, realize you are paying to have a break. Buying off plan foods only means a more expensive dinner than you could have made yourself, plus you feel crappy.
Hang in!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-16, 16:16

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyg724
Today is 11/21/16. I am the wife of a OTR trucker who desperately needs to lose weight. Eating while OTR is so hard and discouraging. And, I am not with him to help him. We have done low carb in the past, the Walmart thing, taking food, etc. However, that is not working for him. Most days, he eats a bag of sunflower seeds, or whatever is available in truck stops. Please don't respond with preparing food in his truck, as this is not an optio. I agree with another poster, Atkins shakes are not good. Don't know why they don't have a juice flavoured drink, as the milkshake are too sweet and leave an aftertaste. I know I sound like I'm whining, but if anyone else has these problems, would love to hear from them. All truckers are not created equal, nor are their wives.

Snacks to keep in truck from truck stops or bought in advance:
1. Aside from sunflower seeds, what about variety? He could have bags of salted peanuts, wasabi almonds, cinnamon pumpkin seeds, etc, etc..... The varieties of nuts and seeds in markets is crazy these days.
2. Low sugar jerky
3. String cheese or cheese sticks
4. Hard boiled eggs, pickles or carrots and celery with ranch from refrigerated area

Ahead of time or if in actual market- salami keeps well, too.

For meals eating out on road:
1. All day blast- omelets, bacon, sausage.....
2. Burgers without the bun. At rest stop, ask for side salad instead of fries. At fast food, order side salad.
3. Sandwich stop off- I love Philly cheesesteak with a fork....can also do chicken cheesesteak
4. Chicken club sandwich with fork- chicken, bacon, cheese and mayo

What kinds of places does he like to stop? If you link menu we can look at options.