Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 03:47

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 164/119/120 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 102%
Post Decide to switch, any advice?

Hey you guys,

I decided to switch to PP, because Atkins is too strict for me, I am afraid (too many cheats). I don't need to lose too much, and I read PP is better for smaller people...
Fat is really satisfy my hunger but I am not really convinced about this big amount of fat intake...rather a bit more protein.
Atkins really worked for me, but now I feel that PP is healthier. (?)
I would appreciate any great advice or suggestion.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 10:08
Forum Founder

Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

PP is almost identical to Atkins OWL.

The way some people follow Atkins is with the "Induction Mentality". 20 carbs are good, so less than or 20 carbs forever must be better. Because PP gives you a wider range of food choices right off the bat, you don't get the same anxiety over what you eat. And because there is a wider range, all you have to worry about is your carb limit and getting adequate protein. Going up the ladder comes when you are within range of your goal weight.

Small amounts of low carb fruit is not taboo and you can even work in a bit of grain if you are within your carb limit and getting adequate protein. PP does limit dairy fats, but has no guidelines for other kinds of fat. You spread your carbs and protein equally over each meal.

You can cheat just as easily on PP as you can on any other diet. White stuff is still off limits.

Have you read the book yet? A good companion book to read is The 30-Day Low-Carb Diet Solution, also by the Eades. It gives you a good overview on what you can eat if you're having trouble figuring it out.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Sat, Aug-21-04 at 10:37.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 14:45

Stats: 164/119/120 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 102%
Thanks!
Yes, my next goal is to read the book.
Hopefully it has a hungarian translation.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 17:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 258/223/??? Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

I agree with Karen, and add that another plus is not obsessing over how purple the ketostick is. It's simply not an issue on PP.

I also like the emphasis on getting foods with antioxidants, as I think that's really important for long-term health.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-04, 10:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 142/128/122 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

What is the PP diet? I have been cheating on Atkins ate a slice of lasagna today. I was 142 now i am 128 and really thats where i would like to stay.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-04, 10:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 142/128/122 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Angry PP diet

What is the PP diet? I have been cheating on Atkins ate a slice of lasagna today. I was 142 now i am 128 and really thats where i would like to stay.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 05:00

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

well ive read the first book now i recieved the 2nd book PP lifeplan and will start reading it tonight...i also found Dreamfield pasta...will make some probably for supper or this weekend...being italian im sure i will be the biggest critic...lol...Jaws the best thing for you to do is try to get Power Protein book...i find PP is better for me cause Aktins has too much fat for me...i dont like fat...never did...there is so much you can eat of fat in life...and ive stalled of over a year...ive done the zone which i find is better than atkins but still didnt do much for me...so the PP ive lost inches and a few pounds...will see where that takes me...hopefully to the end of my goal...

sorry i didnt answer you faster i was working late these pass few weeks...i find they dont answer you fast in this PP threads...i guess everyone is so busy...
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 12:17

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavicula
Hey you guys,

I decided to switch to PP, because Atkins is too strict for me, I am afraid (too many cheats). I don't need to lose too much, and I read PP is better for smaller people...
Fat is really satisfy my hunger but I am not really convinced about this big amount of fat intake...rather a bit more protein.
Atkins really worked for me, but now I feel that PP is healthier. (?)
I would appreciate any great advice or suggestion.

Although I personally am not overly concerned about the fat, there are things you can do if it is a concern for you.

Choose to eat fish much more often during the week...like 3 or 4 times per week. Choose chicken breast over legs (white mean instead of dark). Choose the leaner cuts of beef and get ground sirloin or 93% beef instead of 70%. I have already made these changes myself - because there's no REASON for me to choose the fattier options. I'm not reducing the amount I eat nor the taste. So since it's an option, I take it.
Also, when I get a hunk of cheese at the store for snacking, I get the 50% reduced fat cheddar (doesn't seem to add very much at all in the way of carbs) and the part-skim string cheeses. AGain, taste fairly alike, so I don't miss it.

Good luck!
-- Loretta