Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-15, 09:46

Plan: Not yet
Stats: 172/170/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default Exercise for 72 year old

My legs are fine, as are my arms. My fat is the belly and breasts. I have a back problem so I don't think I could exercise without hurting myself more. I do walk a few times a week.

I wonder how a person of my age gets rid of belly fat without exercise? Is it possible?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-15, 10:11
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

My own age is right on your heels, so I'm always interested in losing more belly fat. From what I understand, exercise has no effect on that, especially at our age. However, since your arms are strong, you might try planking to strengthen the muscles in your core. http://blogs.naturalcures.com/plank-workout-four-variations-for-beginner-intermediate-and-advanced/

I notice that you haven't decided upon (or anyway shared) your LC plan. There are many different types, all well documented here on the forum. Eating LC reduces belly fat.

Welcome, and good luck. This forum is full of friendly, helpful people.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-15, 08:25

Plan: Not yet
Stats: 172/170/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Hi blue,
I haven't figured out what an LC plan is yet. I haven't learned the new way of saying initials instead of words. And, I don't know where it is.

My arms are not strong and I have broken my wrists. I have osteoporosis. What I meant was, that they don't need to lose fat, as they are not fat.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-15, 09:11

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

My understanding is that modifications to diet, particularly an LC (low carb) diet, burns fat while exercise builds and tones muscle.

Sadly as we age, our body changes where it deposits fat; it is mainly determined by hormones. It's can be balancing act to lose that abdominal fat and not end up looking malnourished in the face and limbs and butt.

That's where exercise comes in - diet will help you lose some abdominal weight and exercise can help build muscle in your limbs, leading to a more balanced appearance.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-15, 09:35

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Have you tried swimming? It's not weight bearing so not as beneficial for osteoporosis, but it's low impact and safe. Be careful with things like water aerobics - they can be just as injurious as land exercises. At this point, for you, with your musculoskeletal weaknesses, your concern should probably not be vanity (ie. getting rid of belly fat) but gaining health for mobility and strength. Do you know what's wrong with your back? I have done a lot to stabilize my back and shoulders by throwing a weight ball against the wall and catching it overhead. That might be too much for you with your fragile wrists, but you could start with an ordinary basketball.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-15, 09:39

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Do you have access to a Silver Sneakers program or gym in your area? You might enjoy a seated workout for example. The trainers would know.

Or, if you want to do it online, I recommend the T-Tapp program and community. They have programs for elders that strengthen everything including your core, and it's good for rehabbing backs. The founder herself, Teresa Tapp, has had back issues.

Here's a success story for Berei at 73. She had osteoporosis.

Success Story Berei