Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 11:43

Plan: pending
Stats: 180/180/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress:
Default Hashimoto

Hi, I am 3dBim and I am new here. I should say that I am unfamiliar with the low carb diet and need to read more post, but; I am excited to find a place with other Hashimoto people and am anxious to jump in. )
I will spare you the autobiography, but; I think that it needs to be stated that I WAS an active person. About 5 or 6 years ago, (when I had complained about the symptoms), I had a heart attack.
It was last October that I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease.
It takes 6 months to start with a new doctor, so; it was not until April before I saw him and was given Levothyroxin. I have noticed some improvement with the lethargy and depression.
I am wonderring if there are others who have gone untreated for some time and have become (as I have), lethargic and depressed?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 20:16

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I went untreated for quite a few years. (I'm disabled...lung, prosthetic leg, now bones and kidneys). I think because I do have disabilities it became easier to 'gloss over' the hypothyroid symptoms.

Anyway, I had a good start on T4, and then it 'tapered off' to 'same ol'. Why? Because my body could not convert that incoming T4 into T3 (if your body doesn't convert the T4 into T3, you don't get the energy, and lifting of depression).

It's VERY important to me that my doctor tests BOTH Free T4 and Free T3 (in case you're wondering, T4 and T3 show what's in the bloodstream, but the Free's show what's USABLE, and that's important).

Some people's physicians add synthetic T3 (Cytomel) to their T4 (and most lower the T4 when adding it) and some physicians switch their patients to porcine (pig) thyroid also known as Armour or Westhroid, or Naturethroid. Recently, the Armour available was reformulated and had filler in it, some overcome this by splitting their dose, and chewing it.

I send my Rx to Canada and get Thyroid (same as the old formulation of Armour). A new lab in Georgia is making Armour Thyroid now and they say it is working as well as the older formulation.

Hope that info helps. There is also a great website: www.stopthethyroidmadness.com for research and information.

I hope you feel better soon, and your doctor will have to closely monitor your heart situation if you DO go on T3, as too much can cause problems with heart rhythm in some.