Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-08, 09:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default This, That, and PP Chat Sept/Oct '08

How did we completely skip making a September thread? It's nearly October already!

We've got a week until Rosh Hashonna, and I'm not going to drive myself crazy counting carbs on the holiday. I'm going to make lots of good food- proteins and LC veggies, and some higher-carb dishes too, and just minimize my portions of the higher carb stuff.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-08, 19:06

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

My husband (if he were a lowcarber forum member his stats would be 220/185/160) wants to tighten up his diet in preparation for the holiday season coming up. The last time he wanted to tighten up he tried Atkins induction, but chafed under the rules. This time he's going to try Protein Power intervention phase. Well, "him" trying Protein Power really means me figuring everything out and planning all the meals. So I came over here looking for some PP chat. I reread parts of PPLP and I really think the "minimum protein per meal" thing is going to work out well for DH. On Atkins induction he was always ravenous and I think it's because he wasn't getting enough protein in. PPLP's laxer carb counts are also a plus, as well as the fact that no food group is banned (like fruit on nuts are are Atkins).

So I have a fun few days ahead of me as I plan for a new-to-me WOE. I'll probably be de facto PPLP too as it's easier to cook one meal than two. Right now my big internal debate is whether or not to include the LC bread products. They are allowed under the Hedonist plan, and I know they would increase DH's enjoyment several fold, but I just don't think that crap's good for ya.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-08, 08:14

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
I reread parts of PPLP and I really think the "minimum protein per meal" thing is going to work out well for DH. On Atkins induction he was always ravenous and I think it's because he wasn't getting enough protein in.
Possibly, because there are a number of studies that show all organisms are driven to get their required amount of protein and will eat until they do. But you also need accept the fact that both PP and Atkins are high fat diets. Fat does more to make you satisfied than carbs ever will. Read the Fat Fiends thread so you can see how many people find this true. Your challenge will be to find a way to up the fat without upsetting your husband, given the persistent anti-fat propaganda in the media.

Has he read PPLP? If he has, maybe you could get him to read some of Dr. Eades blogs on fat.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-08, 08:56

BF:

Oh no worries on the fat front. We've been doing LC in some form or another for several years now and we're way past the fat phobic stage.

Our normal maintenance diet is a little higher carb than most people's here (I'd say 70-ish grams per day). When he did Atkins that one time, I continued making the amount of meat I was accustomed to cooking, just dropped the carbs a lot and added in some fat in the form of extra butter/olive oil and cheese. Without the carbs though, that amount of protein just didn't seem to keep him satiated.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-08, 09:39

BF:

Does he REALLY need to know just how much fat is in everything if he's not preparing the food?

Also, is it a huge change to go from Life Without Bread to PP? Isn't it similar, except that you have a higher carb allotment? I'd suggest including the LC breads at least at some meals. You don't need to eat them, but it may mean the difference between your husband sticking to the plan or giving up. You can share your hesitation about their nutritional value and let him decide for himself.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-08, 10:12

BF:

There are many assumptions that people seem to be making about us that are wrong, but I don't have time to address all of them so I'll just address the big one.

I'm not sure why people are telling me/DH to eat more fat. I don't think I ever said that I was trying to do a low fat high protein diet. Our fat is usually 65% of calories on our regular 70g or less carb diet. When DH wanted to try Atkins induction to shake things up, I reduced the carbs and upped the fat and didn't pay any attention to the protein. He felt hungry all the time. Which is why I said I thought PPLP would be perfect, because it got me to pay attention to the protein. Fat alone does not satiate. DH is bigger than I am, and while I may be satisfied on the amount of protein we were eating, his body just was not (in the absence of carbs). PPLP addresses that directly.

He's been doing PPLP for several days now and has not experienced the ravenous hunger that he did on Atkins, so it appears to be working at least in that respect. I'll have to ask him if he's lost any weight yet or not.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 08:35

BF:

I've been way off plan for the month with all the Jewish holidays.

Now, as of today, I'm back on plan. I haven't weighed myself but I know my skirts are getting tight.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-08, 05:24

Plan: atkins/southbeach
Stats: 223/203/150 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 27%

Don't Be Discouraged Just Jump Back In
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 13:25

BF:

Yeah, I'm jumping back in TODAY even though the Jewish holidays have been over for a while. DS got sick with pneumonia and things have been super-stressfull- a week in the hospital, then trying to get things back to normal at home. Eating low carb has just NOT been a priority lately, although I have been careful to get enough protein.

Now he's back in school, his birthday party is over (it was yesterday, even though he turned 7 over 2 weeks ago- he was too sick to have his party on time) and I've finished the carby thanksgiving leftovers (plenty of turkey and broth left though!)
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-09, 10:47

BF: