Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-04, 17:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/142.5/139 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default omg...I increased carbs and gained 4 pounds this week!

I posted last thursday that I just learned that I am pregnant. I increased my carbs for the last four days (good carbs only of course) to 90-100 per day. And I have alread gained four pounds! Did anyone else experience a quick weight gain after you increased carbs for pregnancy? Please help! I want to be healthy for this baby, but I cant afford to gain 60 pounds again.
RO
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-04, 08:20

Plan: My Own
Stats: 258/247/180 Female 5 ft, 5 in
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi Ro,

Yes! I'm in the same boat. We were actively TTC'ing so during the 2 week waiting to see if I was getting TOM or a ++ on a preg test I ate at maintenance levels - I didn't want to do anything to hurt my chances - I gained 8 lbs and they aren't budging. Since my doc confirmed that I am preg 2 weeks ago I've gained 1 lb. So I'm at a total gain of 9 right now. So I guess I'm not much help for you! Maybe someone out there has some words of wisdom for both of us!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-04, 09:55

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

When I found out I was pregnant and switched to maint. I gained about 5 pounds immediately too. The good news is.. it evened out after that and I only gained 20 pounds during the whole pregnancy and within 3 or 4 weeks I was actually lower than my pre-pregnancy weight. Don't panic and even if you are gaining some back, remember that 1) You are doing this for your child and like it or not they do need you to eat enough carbs and 2) you have found Atkins and know it works so even if you do gain a considerable amount during pregnancy, you do know how to lose it again after you have the baby.

Goodluck with your pregnancies ladies!

Jenn
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 09:42
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Don't worry, my dear, it's normal. When I made the instant switch from OWL (30 net carbs a day) to Maintenance (about 70-90 a day), I put on 5 pounds overnight. It's water weight, since carbs tend to hold on to water. Like Elsah said, it will even out.