Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 20:00

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Bulgaria/Romania/Greece

I will be on a trip - with a huge group of Americans - through Romania, Bulgaria and Greece end of June/beginning of July. I know several of us are low carbing, and scared of what will be ahead. I have been in situations before where the choice was between eating bagel and orange juice, and starving - I honestly don't know which is worse, because not eating and being hungry for a few hours really throws me off.

Breakfast in American hotels usually has a 3 eggs omelette option, but I fear low carbing will be tough - dinners I am sure I can handle, but breakfast and Lunches and not having snacks areoun are what I fear. We are gone for 10 days - I am already thinking of just giving up and accepting 5-10 lb gains, I may not have much choice in where to go - i.e. the group will get what it gets.

But is there anyone here who has tips? Assume that we will be in big hotels, if someone here is from those countries, what would you order? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 08:32
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi Monika,

I am from neither of those countries but have been to Greece fairly often. That seems to be the least of your problems, as there are plenty of veggie, fish & meat dishes that will tickle your fancy. The good ol' Greek Bauernsalat or choriatiki will always work and is one of my faves.

Sorry I can't help with the other two countries. That may be harder.

B.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 07:32

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

Being back from the trip, I can certify that Rumania, Bulgaria and Greece are low carb heavens! I think they are doing the healthy Mediterranian diet to some extend.

Breakfast in all hotels includes hard bold eggs, cold cut (Aufschnitt) meats, regular and feta cheese, scrambled eggs, as well as tomatoes, cucumbers (large cucumbers in GR and BULG, fresh unpickled "pickles" style in Romania), and in Romania and one hotel in Bulgaria included wonderful hering or Salmon also. American hotels should include that in their breakfast buffets!

Romania had German style whole grain bread, too. I ate a lot of fresh grilled fish, grilled veggies, and Greek salad which is called Shopska in Bulgaria, and wonderful lamb dishes in Greece. I ate an occasional Shpinakopita in Greece but mostly stuff in plan (Bulgaria is the country that found 100 recipes to mix tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and feta cheese - add eggs - you get mischmasch, add fire-roasted eggplant, you get a typical appetizer, etc.). I had some dried cheese snacks with me so it was wonderfully easy to keep South Beach principles the whole way.

I completely lost portion control but was good regarding keeping the plan in WHAT I ate - so I was very happy to find myself at zero gain, zero loss in spite of having eaten A LOT!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 10:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/205/160 Female 171cm
BF:42%/37%/??
Progress: 29%

Hi Monika,
I am glad you found great choices on your holiday. I am Bulgarian but live in UK. I am going there for 2 weeks in September and I can't wait to get back and taste the feta cheese again! (its too expensive here in UK).

Good luck with your diet
Vess