Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-13, 07:21

Plan: No idea
Stats: 145/-/125 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlowc
Weighed in today at 225.5. Great week. Cut out the bud light and Captain morgan and diet coke.

What's bud light and captain morgan??

Oh wait, I don't want to know.

Diet coke stalls me too.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-13, 07:24

Plan: No idea
Stats: 145/-/125 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 125%

Oh one more thing I know some people have before exercise if they want to keep their carbs to a minimum, its coffee or caffeine. But then again it stalls some people..
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-13, 20:14
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

newlowc

how are your workouts going? I hired a personal trainer to revamp my own workout routine.

She wanted me, to eat some carbs before and after I worked out.

I refused. But I am researching, some stuff on low carb and high intensity working out, and I find alot of people complaining about running out of gas.

Did you find something that worked for you? Like you I am diabetic (type 2) and on Dr. B's plan.

I really fear, adding any type of quick carbs will send my body flooded with insulin and start me back on craving cycle for food.

I also don't want it to screw with my weight loss.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-13, 06:52

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Lovinita, as part of your research you might want to read The TNT Workout, coauthored by Jeff Volek and The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance by Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek. Volek is an exercise physiologist (PhD) who eats low carb and studies it in his lab.

As a word of caution, a trainer once suggested I eat more carbs when I was having trouble losing. It put enough doubt in my head that I tried it and, though it emphatically did NOT help either my weight loss or blood sugar, it was another 2 or 3 years till I could get back to rigorous low carb.

Does Dr Bernstein have anything to say on the topic? His plan has worked so wonderfully for you; I'd stick to recommendations that work *with* his plan, rather than against.

Let us know how you do and how it works out.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-13, 10:53
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hey Liz thanks for the great info.

Such timing. I just ordered one of the books(the art of LC) you recommended. So I am glad to know I am on the right track in the research.

Dr. Bernstein the two books I read really doesn't go into working out all that much. He mainly recommends resistance training that is hard. Not huge amount of reps at low weight. but higher weight/ resistance with lower type of reps.

So that has been what I am doing. Unfortunately, because I have powered lifted throughout my 13-29 years of my life, I am inherently strong. And I am reaching the max of what i can do with dumbbells. My dumbbell max weight is 45 and I have maxed out on that on a few exercises.

Which is why I consulted with the personal trainer. In hopes of developing a gym/routine to deal with physical issues as well as the strength issue.

I think this trainer is knowledgeable but I also think she is trying to stick me into a one size fits all routine.

Thanks for reaffirming what I already know.

It can be real tough. Everyone, I mean everyone who I seek physical help from basically has a negative opinion about my eating habits. Tells me it is not sustainable and it wont work.

My tolerance for this response is wearing thin and I can see me in the near future blowing a lid on someone if they start in on me about my eating habits.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-13, 11:05

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Glad I could help. I would suggest the next time you see the doctor (or anyone likely to criticize your eating habits) you take the same before/after pictures you posted here last week. Not only do you look thinner, but you look healthier and happier. I can tell you that after 10 yrs low carb, I have only improved my overall health (cholesterol, blood sugar, etc), and I have full confidence you will do the same. Just stand your ground, and if you need a new doctor, find a younger one, preferably one who is on the plump side and knows what a struggle it can be to lose weight and keep it off. I suspect a plumper one would be smarter too, because I believe doctors self-select for healthy-looking (whether or not they are truly healthy). All the best!

PS I'm a huge fan of pilates if you can afford it. Slow and gentle, easily modified to fit each person's individual needs. The sense of progress is immediate and empowering. If you are already strong, you've got a head start.