Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-12-04, 06:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/217/199 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Has anyone lost weight on low carb?

Has anyone lost weight on low carb?
and if you lost weight, how much and in what time?
Im starting it.. I been so depressed about my weight issues/pcos/not being able to get pregnant, that i feel low carb is the only answer at this point. I am on metformin too.

Anyone suggest EASY~! things to make i work a lot!

i need things compact!

lol..

THanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 12:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/247/160 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%

I have pretty severe pcos and pretty much all the hideous symptoms that are associated with it. In the past, when I went on low carb diets, i did lose weight and my tom went back to normal. Most of my symptoms subsided and i regularily ovulated on schedule (which has never happend in my life before). i wasn't trying to get pregnant at the time so I can't tell you if low carbing was totally successful in that department. The only reason I knew I was ovulating was because I was taking my temperatures every morning to see if my hormonal balance was getting normal, and after about a month of low carbing it did. Plus, I could *feel* ovulation happening about 2 weeks before my tom. Sorry if that was too much information!

Statistically most women with pcos *drastically* improve their chances of conception when they low carb and lose a little weight. You dont' have to lose a lot, even 10 or 20 pounds should force your body into a correct horomonal balance. Once you're at that balance, your chances of ovulating and conceiving are much higher.

Of course, the lower you get in your weight, the higher your chances will be (unless, of course, you lose weight too fast and then you might stop ovulating altogether). Losing 2-3 pounds a week should be a good rate for getting pcos to smarten up.

Give low carbing a try for at least a few months. Whatever you do, don't cheat on bad carbs (or if you do, quickly go back to low carbing) because pcos feeds on sugar and simple carbs. Many women who didn't think low carbing would work to correct their pcos were estatic to realize that it actually does. Go for it!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 00:39

Stats: 201/176/130 Female 151 cm
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hi Miracles

I have been on Atkins for the last 6 weeks and lost 14lb. I've been on Metformin for 5 years and couldn't lose any weight on a low fat diet (which sent me loopy anyway). I'd highly recommend it. I had my twins via IVF so I'm not trying to conceive but I've ovulated twice in that 6 weeks (I know because it hurts like hell). I think the combination of low carb and metformin is the winner.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 19:41

Stats: 247/195/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Size-20/12/dunno!
Progress: 54%

I've been LCing since May 17,04. My symptoms have improved greatly. I feel better. I was put on Orthotricyclen and I asked to be changed to Orthotricyclen Lo about 2 months ago. I have lost 47 lbs so far. I have to count both carbs and calories, but I will do whatever it takes. I also excercise, because it helps a lot!
GO for it! You wont regret it!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-04, 05:57
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracles
Has anyone lost weight on low carb?
and if you lost weight, how much and in what time?

I did lose 45 pounds once in 10 months when I first went on Atkins. Then sadly I went off the diet and regained it all back and probably more on top of it (I am not certain on my weight right now because I cannot find a scale higher then 350 to weigh myself on).
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 07:20

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I've lost 55 pounds in a little over a year.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-04, 10:49
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Ive lost a lot of weight in about a 2 year period. It's the only thing that has worked and its saved my life!

I still struggle with PCOS daily, and now it seems when I increase my carbs slightly, my PCOS seems to get out of control. I will stop ovulating, my facial hair gets out of control, my skin breaks out and I have mood swings and hormonal fluctuations galore. Its a tough battle, but I think I can win. I have come really far and can't describe how amazing it feels.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-04, 08:00

Stats: 205/200/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Congratulations to you all who have had success. I recently gained a lot of weight in the past few years, had all in my midsection, irregular periods and hair in unwanted places etc... I know Too much information. My Dr. thinks Metformin can help. I may be insulin resistant and have symptoms of PCOS. Can anyone give me similar feedback who has been on the drug, did it work. I just started so have some ugly stomach side effects but the cravings almost instantly dissapeared and I don't know if it is because my stomach is upset of the drug! Any stories you can share would be great!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-04, 16:23

Stats: 247/246/130 Female 5 foot 2.5 inches
BF:47%/32.0%/22.5%
Progress: 1%

yes I have been on metformin in the past when trying to conceive.... recently I have lost almost 50 lbs since june... another 30 lbs had been lost previously almost a year before that..... total loss so far of 78 lbs from my high of 261.... symptoms dramatically improved as the weight came off and now I do not need any medication to ovulate on my own.... though I am no longer actively trying to conceive, if there is someone's plan that another child will come into our lives I will not complain
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 04:37

BF:
Progress:

Taniova thats great. Congratulations on the progress. I myself am not trying to concieve but have all the symptoms and want to lose weight, stablilize periods and get rid of skin problems. I have just started the meds and notice I went immediately from always ravenously hungry to just not hungry at all. I almost have to remind myself to want to eat. Is this a normal response that continues or just in the beginning a normal response to the stomach side effects. I still am trying to make the right eating choices but wonder if people lose the weight on this drug because the constant hunger dissapears from metformin. How long did it usually take to adjust to taking it and the stomach upset goes away?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 06:28

Stats: 210/195/160 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi! I was on metformin before I did IVF and I found it took about 3 months for the stomach upset to go away

as for the OP - I had PCOs from the time I was in my teens till I tried to get pregnant in my late 20s. I went on metformin and did IVF and conceived twins. while nursing them my PCOs did not return and I did WW and lost 55 pounds and got pregnant again without any IF TX. After that pregnancy and while nursing my PCOs did not return but I didn't lose any weight (I tried WW twice but had no success). When my children weaned though my PCOs returned (I was pregnant or nursing for 5 years).

I decided to try Atkins when I had been spotting for 19 days with no TOM. While I had been going through IF I had read about how low carbing helps PCOs but hadn't tried it.

I have already lost 12 pounds. AF finally arrived 2 days after I started and I am ovulating now LOL

So I think atkins/ low carb works LOL - at least it is working for me.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-16-04, 20:50

Plan: my own
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 0%

Low carbing does work, but you will like triple your results with regular exercise...I think thats what's helped me more than anything with my symptoms.
Best of luck
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 09:38
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

43lbs in 9 months for me, and thats after not being able to lose on any other diet I had tried...so that's good going for me!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 06:03

BF:
Progress:

I notice a drastic reduction in appetite on metformin. Before I was ravenous all the time and craved sweets but that is virtually gone. I am hoping that feeling lasts. I haven't straddled the 'enemy' (scale) yet but do feel I have lost weight in the past 2 weeks in my midsection. This syndrome combined with insulin resistance they say has you redistribute weight to accumulate in your midsection. It happened to me. Can anyone relate to that and if so did the metformin help either lose that midsection or once treatment began did your weight redistribute in a more normal proportion to your body than all in the middle?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-28-04, 12:22

Plan: low carb HCG
Stats: 200/159/150 Female 5 5
BF:YES it is!!
Progress: 82%
Default I could not take Met.

I am so disapointed that I was not able to take Metformin. After reading the posts here I am compelled to see my doctor and find out if there is something else I can try for my IR or possibly try Met again. I have not read or heard of anyone else having the side affects I did. I truley beleive it was side effects for the Met. because the onset was right after starting the medication and went away when I stopped taking it. My legs would HURT!!! Not like muscle cramps or anything else I have ever felt. The pain was pretty bad. Sometimes I would cry a bit. My doctor and another doctor I consulted did not believe this was a side affect of the Met but I believe it was. Has anyone had or herd of this as a side affect? I am interested in your responces. Also any suggestions, I do not wish to get pregnant, (My tubes are tied),the facial hair is mimimal and I can deal with removal. My periods are irregular but I dont mind not having one every month. My pms is not as bad as it once was ( I was the worst case sanerio--bad pms!!!) I am mainley concerned with controlling my IR. I had gestational diabetis with my last preg. 8 yrs ago and my mother is insuline dependant diabetic. I do not want to have diabeties!!! This and wanting desperatly to loose some weight are my issues. Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks in advance, you guys are always so supportive and informative. ~*~Tammie~*~