Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 17:30

Plan: CKD/modified atkins & protein power
Stats: 117/112/108
BF:15%
Progress: 56%
Question TKD plan link?

Did a search & it keeps coming up 'no matches'

Can anyone PLEASE provide a link outling the TKD plan as I'd like to find out how to do it hoping it will give me more energy too.

Thank you!

SL
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 17:40

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

SL at the very top of this forum you'll find a stuck thread called CKD 101 - it contains a very detailed description of the CKD and how to go about doing one.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 17:58

Isn't the 'TKD' plan slightly different from the 'CKD' plan -
or is the TKD covered in the CKD 101?

More from me!

SL
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 18:02

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

search for the word "targeted" the search engine wont allow you to serach for a 3 letter word. Targeted will get you a few threads to read.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 18:10

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sorry, Toots, my dyslexia rearing it's ugly head

You might find this article of interest:

TKD vs. CKD

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 18:30

Thumbs up

Nat, you are a darling woman 'warts and all'

Thank you so VERY much for the link to the article - it was exactly what I was looking for!

huggs,

SL
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 10:36
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Default one more thing....

So....calories at 12x bodyweight and mini carb up after work out (for me) to the tune of 50 grams. Then......? Low carb the rest of the day?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 11:13
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/BFL
Stats: 133/117/115
BF:30/17/14
Progress: 89%

Iowagirl-
Use the CKD parameters for your daily guide. On TKD days add your carbs but deduct the carb calories from that day's fat. Use the CKD parameters on non TKD days.

For me at 12 cals/lb/day I'm at 30%protein/64.5%fat/5.5%carbs
on TKD days it's 30%protein/58%fat/12%carbs.

I only do 25 carbs before my WO so that's 25 X 4(calories per carb)=100 carb calories. Deduct the 100 calories from that day's fat.

Hope I explained it well.

Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 11:19
empress of fashion

BF:
Default what??

Is this that new math?
I guess I was thinking 50 carbs post workout (I work out at 5 in the morning, unwilling to get up even earlier to eat!), then 20 the rest of the day. If I understand you correctly when I calucate my day's calories I shouldn't include the post workout 'carb load' meal.
Am I on the right track?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 11:39

Default pre-workout carbs vs. post-workout

hey IowaGirl I get up early to work out too and this is what my understanding of the 'carb thing' on a TKD plan is (different than the CKD way to add carbs) . . .

25g - 30Gg carbs in a sugary form (have read Lisa uses sweet tarts or similar; 0 fat) BEFORE workout

then NO additional post-workout carbs (like on a CKD plan)

you then resume eating the ketogenic way for the rest of the day to re-enter a body fat burning state (cuz you've used all the pre-workout carbs to give you the energy to workout)

If this information is wrong someone please correct me!

SL
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 11:53
Registered Member

You only have to eat 30min before you're WO. I eat 30 sweet tarts for 25 carbs. I eat them on the way to the gym. I haven't found that I needed to add a post WO carb-up.

Depending on the intensity of your WO you may need to add the carbs after. I would do the carbup before your WO and see how it goes. The whole idea is to have the strength for that days WO. The carbup after the WO is to aid in recovery.

Quote:
If I understand you correctly when I calucate my day's calories I shouldn't include the post workout 'carb load' meal.

You do your carb up and eat your daily 20 carbs. If you do 50 carbs after your WO you'd have to deduct 200 fat calories for that day.

Lisa
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 12:47
empress of fashion

BF:

ok I went to the link Nat suggested earlier and.....
"In TKD, small amounts of carbs are used before, during and/or after exercise to provide muscle glycogen. This way, you increase your performance because you replenish the glycogen stores without causing major insulin/blood glucose swings. It is well known that anaerobic activity tends to lower insulin levels. You consume 25-50 grams of carbs about 30-60 minutes before, or immediately after training. "

So this says you CAN do it after training. Not trying to be argumentative here, just want to do this thing right.
I have also heard that one can eat 'normal' things like oatmeal for the mini carb up. I'm not sure I could stomach a handful of smarties at 4:30am!! (no offense to those who do - you know who you are)
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 13:00
Registered Member

"The idea of a CU before your workout is to "set up" the body for better performance at the next workout by maintaining glycogen levels. The primary goal is to provide enough carbs to promote post-workout glycogen synthesis without interrupting ketosis for very long. Most individuals find that 25-50g of carbs taken thirty min. before a wo enhance performance. " (The whole idea of the cu). This is from Lyle's book.

If you do your CU only after you won't have the benifit of the WO to get you quickly back into ketosis.

You can have anything that is hight GI. From his book it says that easily digestible carbs avoid stomach upset during training. He mentions bagles & food bars.

Lisa
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 13:03

Red face you're right!!!

I guess I got in my mind that because I was NOT going to do carbs post-workout that it was the rule - instead of just the rule for me

I did attempt the post-workout carbs in my drink and all it did was wake up my carb cravings for the day. Actually, carb cravings, fat cravings, carb & fat together cravings - you name it i wanted to eat it!

That is why I was considering the pre-workout carbs so they would be 'all gone' by the time I got to the kitchen (tee,hee)

I agree that everyone must do what works for them and apologize for passing along info that was less than accurate. Please post how you do with the TKD as well. There are only a few of 'us girls' that are experimenting with this so I believe it will help us all if we contribute our results.

I raise my bag of smarties "here's to more energy - cheers!"

Sindee
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 13:24
Registered Member

Hi Sindee,

I confiscated all the kids Halloween smarties (as well as a few other things ). Let's call that a refeed!! Hopefully I'm back on track.

I have been doing the 25g carbs before all WO and spinning classes. So, basically that's 5 days a week and then regular SKD on the other two.

I did CKD faithfully for 4 weeks and didn't like the CU day. Plus, I would get my weight back to it's low and then it was time for a CU again. It was very hard to do after 8 months of LC'ing. This seemed more balanced.

Yes, let's all keep each other posted on our progress as we do this TKD. Everything seems to be geared towards the men. Jalilah should be around soon. She's switching over to TKD too.

Lisa