Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-08, 13:38

Plan: Atkins/Southbeach
Stats: 315/225/200 Male 73
BF:17.6%
Progress: 78%
Default ? for runners & cyclists

What do you eat on long rides and runs?

Back in the day, I was a pretty strong cyclist......often turning in 150 to 300 mile weeks in the summer. I've always been a water over gatorade person so that's not a problem, but what do you guys do on long rides for energy? I used to nibble on powerbars and bananas, fig newtons, etc....I'm beginning to get my base miles built up and will be ready for some long rides as soon as we get a nice day.

What low-carb alternatives are there? Beef jerky?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 17:45

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

I put up a fair bit of milage on my bike, though most of my cycles are under 15 miles at a time, then a break, then the same again, then a break, then a different run, etc.

What I have found is that once I got used to cycling on low carbs, I didn't need to do anything else. I never seem to bonk any more. As far as I can work out, once I'm cycling, my body uses my fat to keep me going.

Mind you, I cycle to my dentist which is about 25 miles away, on just a normal breakfast (2 eggs and a few mushrooms) without any problems, but he did say that I doesn't often see people fall asleep as soon as he starts drilling.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 17:56
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have wondered this same thing myself. I've only been jogging for about 6-8 months.
I did notice that after a good sized breakfast (eggs, meat and a flax muffin - more carbs than I usually have in the morning), I had more energy and could run longer.

I'm curious to see what others say...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 13:25

Plan: low carb
Stats: 160/153/143 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I like to consider myself a serious runner (i'm not really, I run about 18 miles a week...) and I NEED some mean protein before my workout. Last week I went to the gym at night after eating nothing all day, except for a bit of kale and eggs in the morning and I nearly vomited. I work for Snapple so I had some of their Antioxidant Water with me. Its didn't do miracles for my low-carb diet (sugar is the 2nd ingredient) and a stalled a bit after...but the Acai flavor was super tasty. Oh, and I need all the antioxidants I can get...i spent way too much time in the sun as a kid.

But back to workouts, yes I am very sensitive to nutrition and I think that this comes along with being in tune with your body.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 11:26

I recently discovered a new drink by Crystal Lite called "Hydration."

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/Produc...duct=4300093915

It looks pretty good for us low-carbers that need to replenish some fluids.

Also there's a protein drink that's low in carb's from EAS edge that's pretty good.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-08, 10:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins, UNYBP
Stats: 155/142/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Long Distance Cycling and Low Carb

This thread got my attention, I have been training for a long distance ride
the STP (Seattle to Portland), and have been low carbing...I was riding 30 miles on low carb and bonked a couple of times when I was done with a couple of rides,)...nausea, shakey feeling...I always felt better when I ate something ,for the longer rides I brought low carb bars (yuk...I am continuing to low carb because I know that It is so much better and the carbs just increase my cravings...I want Ideas on what to take with me on my rides that is Portable, high fat and protein. Does anyone have any ideas...the pit stops during the ride has food but mainly high carb...
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-08, 19:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/245/220 Male 74 inches
BF:22%/22%/15%
Progress: 50%

Well hello, I am doing the Silverman in November. 140.6 mile Ironman race. Currently I am doing a 1 1/2 hour spin class three days per week, swimming 2x a week and doing a long rung on sundays, (currently 10 miles). Damn near 7 days a week up at 4:30am to train. Issue being, I have gained about 10lbs and still at 250..... Not doing the low carb deal but did it before, as my pic will show you it worked wonders. And I did -0- none, ziltch, nada cardio...
what do you guys think? Am I crazy to do LC while training for the ironman? I need to get about 20 lbs off of me by 105 days from now... help me please
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 07:23

Plan: Winging it
Stats: 225.8/191.9/145 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 42%

Well you could take jerky or cheese crisps and nuts are good because they have a bit of carbs and a bit of sodium too.

Sometimes I mix on egg with a huge handful of cheese and coat it then flatten it in a non stick pan and cook until kinda dry. I cut them into big hunks, the size of a slice of bread, and throw them in a baggie. They are nice and portable and you can add spices and change the cheeses to make different flavors. You need to eat these the same day that you are out though because of no refrigeration.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-08, 19:41
Registered Member

Stats: 169/158/120 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 22%

When I do my hikes or after going to the gym I always have snacks with me. I usually have 1 or more of the following: hard boiled egg, string cheese, nuts, beef stick, beef jerky. All are portable and easy to eat on the run.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 09:53

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

If summer ever arrives, LOL, when I start bicycling again, I intend to keep an insulated bag on my bike at all times, and whenever I leave the house, I'll grab a frozen ice pack from the freezer and some snacks from the fridge.

Snacks like hard boiled eggs, celery sticks w/ either peanut butter or cream cheese, slices of thin sliced lunch meats rolled up in romaine lettuce leaves.

I also have a non-insulated bag where I can keep a small can opener, and a can of tuna, a small can of salmon, and a pouch of Spam Lite. I don't care for beef jerky or slim jims, but many people use those for snacks. I'm going to be looking into different brands of pemmican, because I've been advised it's a great LC snack with a very very long shelf life.

When I'm out biking, I don't want to rely on any restaurants if I happen to get suddenly famished, and I also like the ability to stay out longer if I choose to, and not HAVE to return home for a LC meal. So I plan to always have snacks available, even if I have to unpack them when I return home.

I like to biking long distances to scenic picnic spots -- but not anywhere near the distance you're speaking. Were I you, I think I'd also research some of those LC high protein shakes, and see if they might be beneficial for your specific needs.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 08:53

BF:

In the Newbie Questions forum, I had posed a question about LC non-perishable and canned foods here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=391922

Some of the respondants simply said to rely on canned meat -- but I don't particularly think that canned meat is very healthy -- I mean as a sometimes item, it's fine, but DAILY, even several times a day, eat canned chicken and ham?

I don't think so.

But anyway, maybe the thread will interest you.

I'm concerned about all the canned goods - as they contain very high levels of purines and I sure don't want to come down with gout!

One other thing I'm taking with me on long bike trips is a small container of olives - they are sodium rich and might just hit the spot during the heat of high summer.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 09:45

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

"One other thing I'm taking with me on long bike trips is a small container of olives - they are sodium rich and might just hit the spot during the heat of high summer."

And they have a lot of fat so very filling. Watch out, though, last night I drank the olive juice from our jar - I'm up three pounds from the sodium! For a long run or ride, the juice would be great.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-09, 09:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
"One other thing I'm taking with me on long bike trips is a small container of olives - they are sodium rich and might just hit the spot during the heat of high summer."

And they have a lot of fat so very filling. Watch out, though, last night I drank the olive juice from our jar - I'm up three pounds from the sodium! For a long run or ride, the juice would be great.

No, I wouldn't want to drink the brine from the olive jar, the olives themselves are said to be sodium-rich.

I'm trying to find some threads around here about WATER and exercise; like the OP, I never use any of the sports drinks, they taste just vile to me, so sugary.

I always take several water bottles with me, and in the High Heat of mid-summer, occasionally I take small packets of salt with me - I've occasionally had to open one up, dump the contents on my palm and lick it right up.

It might be 'folklore,' but I've heard that if you sprinkle salt on your palm and taste NOTHING when you lick it up, that means that you really really really needed some sodium.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 11:40

Stats: 340/285/175 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 33%

When DH and I do longer bike rides, we take insulated bags along on the bikes. I make rollups with lc tortillas and various fillings. We also bring string cheese or cheese curds, almonds, water. I like the idea of olives!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-09, 12:36

My new snack for a long ride, 40 miles + is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Two slices of Ezekial Bread, Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter and Smuckers Simply Fruit Strawberry