Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 13:43

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
Thanks guys. I played with it some today and I think I found a way to style it that makes it look a little better. Requires a lot of mousse though. I just keep telling myself that now I look like Kara "Starbuck" Thrace from Battlestar Galactica and then I feel better. http://www.flickr.com/photos/geek_patrol/2263506810/

Starbuck would be envious!
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 14:04

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

I really like how you have it styled in this picture. It allows your features to stand out more.
  #243   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 16:56

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%

I think it looks much better and I have to say the big smile really makes the look!
  #244   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-08, 14:54

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
Ok guys, give it to me straight. I just got home from the hairdresser's, and this was the result:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geek_patrol/2261500614/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geek_patrol/2260247015/

Do I look like a puffball? Do I look like someone's mom? I'm feeling kind of depressed about this haircut. This is what I get for moving and having to find a new salon. (edit: I changed the first picture because it was so bad)

Ignore the funky shadows; my camera just sucks.

ETA: this is what my haircut was supposed to look like (older picture): http://www.flickr.com/photos/geek_patrol/2261066416/

kallyn - OMG, you look so cute and I love your hair, also can I say you look real skinny ...
  #245   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-08, 16:46

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks everyone, y'all made me feel a lot better!
  #246   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-08, 22:05

Plan: uncommon sense
Stats: 173.0/135.5/145.5 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 136%

Great thread! I was going to post about the mehandi/hennaforhair henna and indigo but someone else has. But I'll vouch for it - it's great, and not only for permanent dying but for glosses, too. I make up a really great golden gloss using henna, indigo and linseed gel.

With the coconut oil, I have found that it is a bit drying too, but it helps to put it on immediately after a shower and also it is nice to mix into your c.o. some manuka (medicinal type) honey (add to the c.o when the c.o is liquid then cool). Cornflour (like the baby powder alternative) is good in armpits, too.

One thing I save a lot of money with is mouth wash. I don't know if you get Listerine over there, but here it is about $10 for one litre! Anyway, I just use distilled water (in an old Listerine bottle) with several heaped tablespoons of table salt added in. It actually works better!
  #247   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 14:27

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%

I read this thread with interest a while back and I wanted to ask a few questions of those who'd started using natural beauty/hygeine methods.

Firstly, are you still doing it all these months later? Are things going OK?

Secondly, did anyone with dandruff find that baking soda/vinegar helped? If not, did you find anything else that worked?

Thirdly - baking soda for washing your hair. Forgive me for being thick - how do you apply it? Just rub it into wet hair?
  #248   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-08, 09:41

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

I tried the no-poo thing briefly. Here's how I did the baking soda. I put some in a little paper bathroom cup and I dribbled just enough water into it to make a paste. Then I rubbed the paste into my scalp. It seemed to cover my whole head!

The no-poo thing didn't work for me in the long run though. I gave it a little over a month and I just felt too gross to continue.

Interesting note: My granny was around when I was trying to no-poo and I mentioned the vinegar rinse to her. She was tickled and said that when she was a little girl her own mother made them always rinse their hair with vinegar when they bathed because she said it would make their hair shiny. So people really did use it before shampoo was invented!
  #249   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-08, 09:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My Mom rinsed my hair with vinegar when I was a kid. I tried it later as an adult and found I smelled like a salad all day! It also seemed to dry my hair out a lot. I guess I had more oils when I was a kid.
  #250   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-08, 10:42

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
My Mom rinsed my hair with vinegar when I was a kid. I tried it later as an adult and found I smelled like a salad all day! It also seemed to dry my hair out a lot. I guess I had more oils when I was a kid.

I believe the type of vinegar used (i.e. not cheap industrial ones) make a difference. Also did she dilute it in enough water?

I used it a lot last year and it did make my hair nice and shiny - no smell, but I used the organic version with a very mild smell... however 5 months ago I tried the Brazilian Keratin treatment (formaldehyde free) and that worked like magic on my hair (but yeh I know not so organic/natural treatment)
  #251   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-08, 12:30
Experimenter

BF:

I don't remember smelling like a salad as a kid, but I probably just ignored any smells emanating from my own body. Yes, she diluted it and rinsed, as I did as an adult. My Mom was a pretty no-frills woman, I'm sure she didn't use anything more than apple cider vinegar.
  #252   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-08, 23:23

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I used vinegar to rinse my hair all the time growing up and no one ever commented on my salad smell and I had friends so I don't think it bothered anyone! We also caught rain water whenever it would rain and we would wash and rinse our hair in the rain water.

My mom taught me to use mayonnaise on the ends of my hair if it was really dry (rinse well) and egg white on my face for a mask. It dries nicely and rinses off easily. It always made my face feel really good and the pores really small.
  #253   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 08:00
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgerms
One thing I save a lot of money with is mouth wash. I don't know if you get Listerine over there, but here it is about $10 for one litre! Anyway, I just use distilled water (in an old Listerine bottle) with several heaped tablespoons of table salt added in. It actually works better!
this is very interesting! table salt eliminates mouth odor, eh?

when i was young, mom took sis and i out in back yard after washing and trimming our hair and would rinse sis's hair with vinegar (she said that was for dark hair) and mine with lemon juice (i'm the blonde)....
she said it took any soap residue out of our hair and kept it shiny...

still use baking soda for a lot of beauty apps...
  #254   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 11:33

Plan: ZC
Stats: 140/155/155 Male 5'9"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1231
My mom taught me to use mayonnaise on the ends of my hair if it was really dry (rinse well) and egg white on my face for a mask. It dries nicely and rinses off easily. It always made my face feel really good and the pores really small.

I've done the egg white mask as well. It's kind of shocking how tight your skin starts to feel when it dries. I've used apple cider vinegar as a toner but the smell was just too much. A couple of months ago I got some Burt's Bees Garden Tomato Soap and it has worked better than any face wash I've ever used. The tomato in it is acidic and really helps prevent breakouts while tightening pores.
  #255   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-09, 13:55
Experimenter

BF:

I heard an NPR segment on the "no-poo" movement. It was very interesting: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/...969&ft=1&f=1007