Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 10:36

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

You're welcome and I completely understand the frustration. It's taken me years to finally figure out what my problem is.

Just curious, but did the doc test your insulin levels? People with IR often have very *good* glucose levels, often being on the low side of things. Because of this, a glucose test won't show anything wrong until the situation gets much worse and diabetes develops.

And if you're insulin levels have been checked out, my apologies. But if you've been lowcarbing and still having trouble losing weight, then I can see how glucophage will help you.

I think most of all, I'm just opposed to overweight people taking glucophage as a "diet drug" without attempting to low carb. Kinda like "I'll just pop this pill and eat a bag of chips" mentality. But I certainly don't see that attitude coming from you
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:04

Plan: glucophage prescription
Stats: 213/202/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 17%

Sourdaisy,

I know I've had my glucose checked, but I'm not sure about the insulin levels. I'm going to ask next week at my doc appt. Nevertheless I've tried very hard to lose weight. I exercise, horseback ride, rollerblading, eat very moderately. I find all I have to do is actually eat regular meals and I start gaining weight. I'm not talking big high calorie meals just healthy food with moderate portions. So the glucphage induced weight loss has been a welcome relief along with the loss of cravings for sweets and I am following somewhat of a lowcarb diet. Thanks for the encouragement and I'll leave it at that.

AprilW
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:07

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

aprilw, I sincerely hope you get to the bottom of your troubles, at least for peace of mind. I wish you continued success with your weight loss
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:41

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

My doctor suggested Atkins to me, then said that after three months, we'd check to see if we should add Glucophage to the mix. So far, I've lost 23 pounds in six weeks, but only by remaining in the 20-25 daily carbs level. Any suggestions if Glucophage would help further?
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:46

BF:
Unhappy

Melissa,

I really know next to nothing about Atkins, need to do some more reading. What I've done since I started taking glucophage is cut out bread (except for the ocassional slice of whole wheat) potatoes, pasta. I've just been loading up on veggies and when I do feel hungry I have a small portion of protein because it takes away the hunger pains and makes me feel like I'm satisfied. Sounds like you've done well so far, keep it up. I'm sure there are much more educated people about your questions on this forum then myself. I'm learning as I go
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 10:34

BF:

Hello,

Just came back from the doc. Was in for a checkup to see if the gluchophage was working. On the doctors scale I've lost 10 pounds from a month ago. I asked my doctor about insulin resistance (as suggested by sourdaisy) and he said not a prob, that he had tested for it. He's upped my dosage to 1/2 a pill twice a day (up from 1/2 a pill once a day)however he's concerned that I get a blood-sugar monitor and check my sugar in the am and pm to make sure it doesn't drop with upping the glucophage. So we'll see what happens, the main thing is more weight loss I would like to lose at least another 40 pounds.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 16:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/135/130 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi! i have been lurking about the forum and this caught my eye. I have been taking glucophage for a year or so now. I do have polycystic ovarain disease, irregular periods,<I would go for MONTHS without having one> and was infertile for years. Before taking this I was overweight. By using this ALONG with being an Atkins dieter, I have lost around 35 lbs, got my cycle back on track, and controlled my aggravating acne! YAY! But I have been taking it twice a day...850 mg. When I miss a dose I kinda drag around here like I have mono..LOL! The only side effect i have ever had was having an upset stomach for a week or so...I dont have any problems now tho!
Good Luck! :-)
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-04, 08:08

Stats: 205/200/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Question Metformin Information?

Can anyone give me feedback on their experience with Metformin. I have symptoms of PCOS and insulin resistance.... irregular monthly cycles, hair in unwanted places and weight in the midsection that is cemented to me. Gaines a lot in past 2 years. My Dr thinks this will help so I started it with moderate low carb eating.... Any feedback would be appreciated or your stories to share.
thanks
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-04, 11:11

Plan: my own
Stats: 208/186/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 25%

phemail1,

So far my experience with Metformin has been a positive one, I only had problems for a day or two when I would increase my dose(upset stomach), I've had my cycles the last two month as scheduled and after struggling for many, many years the weight is finally coming off. but I don't completely credit the Met for that, like my Dr. put it " Metformin will help put you on the same playing field as someone that doesn't have pcos" so I've been trying to keep up my part by making good choices , but I also feel that I have a different motivation for those choices now, it's not about the weight so much as my goal to keep pcos in check, it's only been about 2 months since i was diagnosed and started Metformin so I'm still pretty much at the beginning of my journey but i hope to keep seeing positive results, and I wish the same for you!

LittleStar
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 08:26

Stats: 205/200/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Metformin

Greetings Little Star,
Well it is into week 2 and I do notice some changes already. Did you find like me that your appetite reduced drastically. Mine did as for a huge craving I used tohave for sweets went away. The stomach issues have improved but not gone away, hopefully they will subside. ONe thing I have had is this unusual distribution of weight in my midsection the past few years that I am hoping to redistribute. I feel I have lost a few pounds the past two weeks in my midsection. Did you have an issue with gaining in the midsection? If so has the medication had any impact for you on the reduction of that as I am hoping for. As for a period... havent seen that yet but I can be patient as conceiving was not my reason for this all the miserable symptoms were. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing as we are at the same stage of the process. I wish you well.
Phemail1
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 09:31
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hiya, just a quick one on this subject. I was using metformin for control of PCOS for months, but then I came off of it when I fell pregnant with my twins. My friend was on it too and fell pregnant shortly after 6 moinths of being on it. I would warn anyone who is taking it that it definately does something to your fertility!!!!
Anyway, I tried to go back on it again at the begining of this year, but it made me feel terrible. Tired and washed out all the time, headachy, nauseous....awful in general to the point where I simply couldn't go on with the treatment anymore.
I didn't lose weigh whilst on it first or second time round, but at least the first time it did help with the periods and PCOS.

Anyway, just thought i would put in my 10cs worth. I really wish I could take it again, but I am really worried I'll get all of those symptoms back.

Anyone else suffered with these things whilst taking it?
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-04, 13:07

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 170/155/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 38%

hi april Congrats on your success. i do have pcos and was just prescribed glucophage and have not started that or a diet yet. and i was just wondering was diet you were on to get the success that you have so far. thanks and again good job.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 00:03
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 160/148/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 23. I was not terribly overweight (150 at 5'5") and had no symptoms other than a missing period. They tried to induce ovulation with Clomid, etc. For three years I tried to get pregnant, and in the meantime I adopted a beautiful baby girl. However, a year after she was born, I knew I wanted more children and that I couldn't afford another adoption. I inquired my physician about Glucophage and he stated I was not "IR enough" to take it...how the heck would he know since he didn't check my insulin levels?

Anyway, in October 2002 I ordered Glucophage from a New Zealand pharmaceutical company (without a prescription). Yes I know this is controversial, etc. I was desperate, though. It made me feel sick and shaky but I persisted. Exactly 18 days after starting Glucophage, I had a menstrual period. I didn't lose weight btw on Glucophage - I was not low carbing. Anyway, kept taking it (500 mg a day) and the symptoms stopped. In December I hadn't had a period, so I thought the Glucophage might no longer be working. As a last hope, I took a pregnancy test.

POSITIVE!!!!

I got pregnant within 6 weeks of starting Glucophage!!! I now have two beautiful little girls. However, I am sure that my problem is IR (as is evidenced by ovulation once on Glucophage) I am older, know more now, and am dedicated to trying the low-carb diet while med-free. But for people with IR, Glucophage can truly cure their infertility - look at me!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 21:49

Plan: modified southbeach
Stats: 146/141/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default how are people doing with their metformin-induced weight loss?

I've just signed up, and need to shed about 15 pounds to get back to pre-pregnancy weight from 5 years ago, but diet and exercise are not helping anymore. I want to know how people are making out with taking metformin when they're not diabetic or don't have PCOS. I checked some of the messages from last year, but haven't seen any recent updates. Does it work? Should I ask for the prescription?
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 10:34

Plan: 1200 Calorie diet
Stats: 212/212/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile taking glucophage for weight loss

I searched for infor on this medicine and found this site. i thought I would let everyone know that my doctor prescribed this to me as well for weight loss. now i dont have diabetes but my gyno doc (different doc) did say that i may have PCOS. but this was not given to me for that. I was told by my pharmacist that they are not allowed to give this drug for fertility or infertility, also my doc said if i was trying to get preg or was preg I COULD NOT be on this drug. so im not sure how it works with infertility. also my doc mentioned that they give this for weight loss in children under the age of 16. she stated they arent allowed to be on regular weight loss medication. I just started taking this and would like to know how everyone else on it is doing. havent had any side effects yet and am taking 500 mg twice a day. Have a great day!

Last edited by suze0220 : Tue, Apr-19-05 at 10:54.