Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-17-10, 15:18
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I find my weight gain is related to my calories more than my carbs. Carbs regulate my hunger and cravings, so that affects my calories, but all other things being equal, calories win out for me. If I've gone from very low-carb to moderate (I consider that 100-150g level moderate) carb, then I look like I'm gaining weight for about a week due to increased water retention with the carb stores in my body, but I'm sure you aren't referring to that for yourself, I know you are aware of that phenomena.

I don't know if I'm just lucky or not. I have an average metabolism. I've done extensive calorie counting, in maintenance mode, just tracking how many calories I'm eating and how much activity I'm doing with Fitday PC and the numbers work. At a fairly average level of activity for me (2 sessions per week of full body weight lifting and 3-5 runs a week including one on Sunday that is an hour or more, an average of about 15-20 miles a week), Fitday estimates my calorie expenditure at 2500 calories a day. And when I eat about 2500 calories a day, I maintain my weight. Last summer I was trying to lose more weight and calorie counted, getting my calories down into the 1700-1800 range and I was losing about 1-2 pounds a week, just like the calorie math would suggest I should.

I know I'm lucky in that I can tolerate 150g of carbs a day. At that level, staying away from flour & sugar, I don't get wicked carb cravings or excessive hunger and without counting, I seem to naturally maintain my weight and have enough carbs for training hard and running well.

I don't know if that helps, probably not. It does sound like you are very sensitive to carbs. My thought is that my insulin sensitivity has increased greatly as I've lost weight. It seems to improve the further down I go on the scale and it seems to have improved with the running, too.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Feb-17-10, 21:12

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Valerie, that is very useful, actually. i have not been counting calories, but maybe it's time to start!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 05:23

Plan: paleo adaptation
Stats: 248/215/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I don't think that has anything to do with lactic acid. What do you mean?

General Lactic Acid Buildup Information
Lactic acid is a waste product produced by muscle tissue and red blood cells. When oxygen levels are high, the body breaks carbohydrates into water and carbon dioxide, but when oxygen is scarce, carbs used for energy turn into lactic acid. When exercisers “feel the burn”, they are actually experiencing excess amounts of lactic acid in their muscles.

My resting heart rate when I consume a traditional carb diet is around 84BPM. With a low Carb diet my resting HR is 63BPM- I am automatically more efficient at using oxygen by just eating this way. Because I am low carb- my body is in a state of ketosis (as we all know) therefore I do not have the glucose stores for exercise- you hit "the wall" when your body runs out of glucose and begins to use fat for fuel-

There are plenty of runners who run long distances (ultra marathons) on LC. However, I would agree that runners who carb load would be able to run faster times- but for people like me- #1 I am not trying to win a marathon, #2 I can not process carbs- I gain weight, no matter how much I run or exercise, #3- I just enjoy running. #4, we weren't designed to run long distances at max output anyway-

I would venture to say that most runners here are not running world class times either- so if you enjoy running- you can be rest assured that you DO NOT need carbs to do it.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 06:08

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 165/152/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Water_Lily: yeah, actually i bought my dad the primal blueprint to help him get started. I think mark focuses more on paleo exercising and not superhuman feats like biking across country in a month.

jschwab's: 30 mi/week! You go girl, that's a lot of miles!

i've had to cut out non-meat things in my diet recently and find that running for longer than thirty minutes or so at a time is pretty hard. it might be that i'm lazy tho.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 06:15

Plan: atkins...vlc
Stats: 150/141.6/125 Female 5 ft 7inches
BF:what the heck?!
Progress: 34%

*** XX Chiming in just to follow this helpful thread XX ***
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 10:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmedina
General Lactic Acid Buildup Information
Lactic acid is a waste product produced by muscle tissue and red blood cells. When oxygen levels are high, the body breaks carbohydrates into water and carbon dioxide, but when oxygen is scarce, carbs used for energy turn into lactic acid. When exercisers “feel the burn”, they are actually experiencing excess amounts of lactic acid in their muscles.

My resting heart rate when I consume a traditional carb diet is around 84BPM. With a low Carb diet my resting HR is 63BPM- I am automatically more efficient at using oxygen by just eating this way. Because I am low carb- my body is in a state of ketosis (as we all know) therefore I do not have the glucose stores for exercise- you hit "the wall" when your body runs out of glucose and begins to use fat for fuel-

There are plenty of runners who run long distances (ultra marathons) on LC. However, I would agree that runners who carb load would be able to run faster times- but for people like me- #1 I am not trying to win a marathon, #2 I can not process carbs- I gain weight, no matter how much I run or exercise, #3- I just enjoy running. #4, we weren't designed to run long distances at max output anyway-

I would venture to say that most runners here are not running world class times either- so if you enjoy running- you can be rest assured that you DO NOT need carbs to do it.

That is an awesome post! I struggle with the slow. Since I am really slow it' not the difference between 10 and 8 minute miles, more like the difference between 13 and 11 minute miles. It's true that it's really just a matter of going slower.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 10:08

BF:

I just wanted to report I have a race tomorrow - just for fun and camaraderie, not for time. I have a fairly serious injury but I am allowed and able to run. I've done 2 runs a week the past few weeks and felt pretty good. It's five miles in the cold and ice!

Anyway, wish me luck! I still may need surgery but this is a nice reprieve. You guys have been helpful - I usually panic and eat carbs "just in case", but I am going to do this right!
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-10, 06:08

BF:

Quote:
I just wanted to report I have a race tomorrow - just for fun and camaraderie, not for time. I have a fairly serious injury but I am allowed and able to run. I've done 2 runs a week the past few weeks and felt pretty good. It's five miles in the cold and ice!

Anyway, wish me luck! I still may need surgery but this is a nice reprieve. You guys have been helpful - I usually panic and eat carbs "just in case", but I am going to do this right!

Good luck and be safe- finishing the face injured is not worth not being able to run for a few months- Hope all goes well!
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-10, 12:44

BF:

I panicked and had orange juice but it definitely helped my performance. I had alot of symptoms on the way up there, but I felt great during the race. The signature issue with this injury is pelvic pain and I had a bit last Sunday's run but not today at all once I got moving. 9 minutes slower than last year but I managed to find someone to chase and I passed her permanently in the last 1/2 mile. So, I felt like a winner!
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-10, 19:23
Bouncy!

Way to go!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-10, 21:45

BF:

Hey Valerie, thanks. You are on ON - did you ever do the 30K in Hamilton? I've been thinking about it. Not this year, but maybe 2011.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-10, 12:17
Bouncy!

Quote:
Hey Valerie, thanks. You are on ON - did you ever do the 30K in Hamilton? I've been thinking about it. Not this year, but maybe 2011.

I just answered this in another thread! I've done the 5k at the Around the Bay, but not the 30k yet. However, I'm recitifying that in about 4 weeks. I'm going to do it this year. I've been in a half marathon clinic, our race is March 7th, but I'm not going to race it, just run it as a training run and then do the Around the Bay 30k on March 27th.

The slogan for the Around the Bay is "Older than Boston"! It's the oldest organized road race in North America. It gets a big crowd and it's a great race.

Let me know if you do come up for it next year!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-10, 23:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
I just answered this in another thread! I've done the 5k at the Around the Bay, but not the 30k yet. However, I'm recitifying that in about 4 weeks. I'm going to do it this year. I've been in a half marathon clinic, our race is March 7th, but I'm not going to race it, just run it as a training run and then do the Around the Bay 30k on March 27th.

The slogan for the Around the Bay is "Older than Boston"! It's the oldest organized road race in North America. It gets a big crowd and it's a great race.

Let me know if you do come up for it next year!

I saw your other post!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 06:42

BF:

I found some more info on lactic acid- from here- http://outside.away.com/outside/bod...research-3.html

The most important difference between the dogs and people, though, may have to do with energy—how sled dogs get it and how they use it. Physiologists refer to energy sources as "substrates," and there are three basic kinds: carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. Fats have big advantages over carbs. First, they contain about twice the caloric density, so a gram of fat can supply a lot more energy than a gram of carbs. Second, they burn "cooler." But human muscle relies primarily on glucose, a carbohydrate that's stored in muscles as glycogen, becoming glucose again when it's used. Glucose burns "hot" compared with fat. "It's like the difference between regular ethyl and nitro fuel in a hemi," Bielitzki says. "You can use nitro once in a while, but you can't go forever without burning out the engine."

Fast-twitch muscles—like those used in sprinting—tap glycogen reserves in the muscles, turning it into glucose and burning that as an organic compound called pyruvate. That burning can work anaerobically, without oxygen, which is good because people are not as aerobically efficient as dogs and our systems can't deliver that much oxygen to muscle cells. But we can't burn up all the pyruvate, so it "overflows," leading to a buildup of lactic acid.

the article later states:
Most important, though, the dogs rebuild their glycogen stores. It's likely that they manage this miracle by literally switching much of the fuel they use from glucose to fat. No cell burnout, no lactic-acid buildup, no long-term depletion of stored glycogen.

Last edited by robmedina : Sun, Feb-28-10 at 06:48.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-10, 21:43
Bouncy!

Quote:

Hi Janine! Thought you might like a race report from Hamilton!

The Around the Bay 30k was last weekend. I was pretty overtrained, I've been training for one half after another without a break for 15 months so I've actually slowed down instead of gotten faster, but I didn't want to give up trying the ATB after working so hard for it. So I downgraded my expectations a little and set a goal time for 3 hours, 30 minutes. I'm happy to say I did it in 3:29!

There is a wicked, wicked hill at the 26-27km mark, I made it up but it did me in. The last few kms were so hard! Pretty cool finishing in a colliseum though!

I'm taking a break for at least two months now. I'll run, but not fast and not long. Two months of recovery runs!