Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 12:16
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 174/150/125 Female 5 foot 3
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Strange But true

I recently got prescribed a new medication and pleasantly enough- one of the side effects a very reduced appetite. I was stoked at first but after a week i havent lost a single pound and my diet has gone from normal to itsy bitsy, i mean i have to force feed myself breakfast, lunch AND dinner, and i feel full after like 5 or 6 bites... weird but true...
What is the deal w/ that?? I dont think its "starvation mode" b/c i stay physically active, i think the whole starvation mode idea actually needs a lot longer than a week or two to kick in, it seems.
UGH, i just cant loose no matter what, those last 20 really are impossible
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 16:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

It may be that processing the medication is stressing your body - mainly the liver. Keep drinking the water and taking allowed supplements. Be sure there is no interaction between supplements and the medication. Your pharmacist is the best guide here.

Hope you start losing soon.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 13:49
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the advice Tofi. My doctor said the average person actually loses about 15 lbs on Topomax. I'm not taking any supps right now except a multi-vitamin ( when i remember to) Sheesh, i guess i was meant to be fat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 15:10

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Fat!!???!! Boy, I sure wish I had YOUR current "fat".
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 13:08

Plan: Primal
Stats: 173/135/132 Female 160 cm
BF:
Progress: 93%

The last 15-20 pounds are ALWAYS a bear. What's your exercise like? (And have you possibly put on enough muscle that your goal weight should be higher?)
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 18:12

Stats: 159/142/120 Female 5'5"
BF:?%/27%/cur20%18%
Progress: 44%

MaryJane,
The side effects of Topamx are sometimes weight loss due to decreased appetite, but it does vary. May I inquire as to why you are taking Topamax and what dosage he has you on? Please also be aware that as this is an anti-seizure medication it is unsafe to abrubtly discontinue its use at any given point, it has to be tapered unless you are on an extremely low dose.

Kristen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 08:35
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the replies.
Purple-I am exercising about twice a week, mostly cardio, like walking or dancing or doing a video. But that is a good point, and i think i have come to the point where i have to really step up my workout a bit.
Kristen- I am aware about the side effects and usage, my doctor is really nice and he gave me all that info. I'm taking it at 25 mg right now and then i am going to start taking 50 in a week. I'm using it to slowly cut back and replace another med that i didnt like very much. Why i'm taking it? Because the doctor prescribed it to go along with my morning slew of meds
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 14:36

Stats: 159/142/120 Female 5'5"
BF:?%/27%/cur20%18%
Progress: 44%

I'm glad that he is keeping you informed, so many physicians don't. I hope you have a better result on the Topomax than your other med!!
Also, (you may be doing this already) if your appetite remains poor, maybe smaller more frequent meals may sit better with you than larger ones. I have also heard that this manner of eating is better in maintaining your metabolism as well.

Good luck
Kristen