Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-12, 11:35
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

My grandma always had the little ceramic dish on her stove filled with bacon fat. She was an excellent cook.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-12, 15:03

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 157/122.8/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:belly 40.3/8
Progress: 92%

When cooking steak, I make a mostly butter sauce (nuke it to melt it down) throw in a small can of mushroom peices and 1 teaspoon of A1 sauce. After I have one side of the steak browned on high heat I flip it and throw my sauce over the steak and turn the heat way down to cook inside steak. If you have an electric stove turn off heat after browning side 2. You can use this on liver and onions also. The A1 has some carbs, but you're using a very small amount.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 00:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 258.3/236.9/195 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 34%
Talking Fat is where it's at!

Well I was able to stabilize and get out of my stall very quickly by adding fat to my daily intake. I reversed the weight gain that started happening and even helped ward off two days of not staying low carb.

I had a wedding to go to and ate 2 pieces of cake and a bit of hot chocolate one time, and then my son had a birthday party and I got a bit frosting happy and had a piece of cake. For a day or so, after those celebrations, I was up a pound or so and it took a couple-three days to start losing again but then it was back to sliding down the scale.

I love that I am at the point of having been able to plan to "cheat" and not make that an excuse to go nuts! I decided ahead of time what I was going to eat and really enjoyed it.

The unfortunate consequence of my indulgence was a very difficult time resisting temptation the following day or two. The carb monster came out with a vengeance!

I am learning how to go out with friends and eat too. Been out 3 times now and it was far less challenging than I imagined. Planning is important though. I make sure I don't go out hungry and check menus online before I go. That way I know what I would likely order and will not be shocked with some unexpected temptation. I also already know what to expect so I don't have to subject my friends to a million questions and special requests of the waiters.

Liking it!
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 03:43

Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Excellent post, Patina! I did the same thing with the low carb low fat high protein diets always losing and gaining 20-30 lbs. I ended up with a 2 inch gallstone at age 26. Not fun!!
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 04:12
Every day is day 1.

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 249.0/220.6/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Yup. I know.
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
i have been into a lot of salads with warm bacon dressing, lately..

Pilot gal- you too? My new fave is to fry 2 slices of bacon, remove the bacon once done, in the hot pan add a little vinegar and ez sweets to make a dressing and then wilt some spinach in the hot dressing/pan. Top with the bacon, a sliced egg and a touch of chopped onion for flavor. I could eat this every night!

How do you make your dressing?? What type of greens do you use for your salads? Thank you!!
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 05:40

Plan: paleo with L plates
Stats: 180/162/143 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

I sip on a stash of coconut oil at times, great for the night time temptations.

And this is due to this post, among others, it is really great, as now I am losing, slowly.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-12, 18:04

Plan: HCG Diet
Stats: 215.5/191.1/155 Female 177cm
BF:Human twinkie
Progress: 40%

Thank you all for your advice, this place is an inspiration.

It never fails to amaze me how many people still believe all that "a calorie is a calorie" rubbish. I think we've all guinea-pigged ourselves enough times we've proven that wrong!

The human body is the variable that throws that theory right out the window. I'm hoping to convert a few people to the school of fat once I reach my goal!
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-12, 19:18

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 275/265/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default oops

By my own calculations I have eaten 118 grams of protein, 116 grams of fat , and 10 grams of carbs today.

What can I eat for dinner that will up the fat? All I can think of is salad with an oil based dressing. Any other Ideas? Thanks

Made a salad dressing with olive oil and vinegar, put about 4 tablespoons o my salad. Plus 56 on the fat!!

I think the totals are 40% protein, 57% fat, 2% carb. I need more fat!!!!!!

Last edited by newlowc : Mon, Feb-20-12 at 20:40.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-12, 21:52

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlowc
By my own calculations I have eaten 118 grams of protein, 116 grams of fat , and 10 grams of carbs today.

What can I eat for dinner that will up the fat? All I can think of is salad with an oil based dressing. Any other Ideas? Thanks

Made a salad dressing with olive oil and vinegar, put about 4 tablespoons o my salad. Plus 56 on the fat!!

I think the totals are 40% protein, 57% fat, 2% carb. I need more fat!!!!!!

Butter on the cob, of course!

#55   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-12, 21:58

Plan: Fat to Skinny
Stats: 200/185/165 Female 5feet10inches
BF:
Progress:

I could use some help. I haven't lost an ounce for over two months. I started low carb (20 carbs per day) in October and lost 16 pounds, then stopped losing and bounced a couple pounds on and off for a couple months, then went to ten carbs per day and lost 4 pounds in one week, then nothing. I haven't been off low carb. Most days are ten or less and I've been trying to keep the percentages 77% 12% 10% (fat protein carbs). I stopped all sweeteners and nuts. I try to limit cheese as it plugs me up and I have enough trouble in that area with a slow metabolism. I eat eggs, sausage, chicken breasts coated with pork skins and fried in butter and oil, broccoli, asparagus, steaks, spinach, coffee with heavy cream. Calories are around 1000 or less. I keep scouring the boards looking for answers. Any ideas?

Last edited by Montuen : Mon, Feb-20-12 at 22:04.
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-12, 22:25

Plan: Fat to Skinny
Stats: 200/185/165 Female 5feet10inches
BF:
Progress:

Well now that I read the rest of the thread (I didn't see that there were more pages until after I wrote the first reply - doh!) I'm going to get dark meat chicken and fat burgers and avacados. Any other tips from your successes will be most welcome!
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-12, 04:30

BF:

Macadamias- 67% fat, 7% carbs and I think.... Although I should check, 14% protein.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-12, 04:56

BF:

Make that 9% protein,
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-12, 10:37

Stats: 258.3/236.9/195 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 34%
Wink Eat up

Quote:
I could use some help. I haven't lost an ounce for over two months. I started low carb (20 carbs per day) in October and lost 16 pounds, then stopped losing and bounced a couple pounds on and off for a couple months, then went to ten carbs per day and lost 4 pounds in one week, then nothing. I haven't been off low carb. Most days are ten or less and I've been trying to keep the percentages 77% 12% 10% (fat protein carbs). I stopped all sweeteners and nuts. I try to limit cheese as it plugs me up and I have enough trouble in that area with a slow metabolism. I eat eggs, sausage, chicken breasts coated with pork skins and fried in butter and oil, broccoli, asparagus, steaks, spinach, coffee with heavy cream. Calories are around 1000 or less. I keep scouring the boards looking for answers. Any ideas?

One thing I have seen over and over in LC weight loss is that it is counter to what most of us were taught. I wonder if your calories are WAY too low. In your same position I would up my fat intake, keep my carbs at 20 (no less) and eat at least 1200-1600 calories. I'm no expert, except at noticing what works for me, and what I notice is that if I take in less calories my weight loss SHUTS down completely. I have even seen it start to inch UP! I believe this diet requires adequate calories, fat, protein and water to work, IMHO.

Good Luck!!

Elle
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-12, 08:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Bumping up to the first page.