Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1801   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 03:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 262/174.2/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I have been strugling lately, not the body but the spirit......life is confusing sometimes..........Hey all, glad to have found you.
Sponsored Links
  #1802   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-08, 19:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyLee
I have been strugling lately, not the body but the spirit......life is confusing sometimes..........Hey all, glad to have found you.

You are not alone Candy. Sometimes I have to wonder about those who claim not to be struggling. I honestly think there has to be some battle goin on in every Christians mind. By battle I mean due to our fallen nature and you know who creeping in and casting doubt or spreading temptation.

There was only one perfect person, and I'm not Him. Nor is anyone else on this rock right now.....that is not to say we should not strive to be like Him, or walk with Him. But no one can be perfect aside from Him, and those who act like they are perfect and those of us who are seeking answers, looking for direction and express doubts and fears are somehow beneath them, well those folks just scare me.

Anyone can sit around and preach to the Choir and smiley Glad hand with others of the same background. But to my way of thinking aren't we supposed to reach out to those who either do not believe or have questions about believing either in Christianity or about believing in the first place?

I do not question to mock or belittle or shock people, but I have questions about my faith, my belief and Christianity in General. I find it odd that so many Christians cannot tell me at least why they believe what they believe. They can and will tell you that they believe and that you should believe too, but not why they believe what they believe.

I know as a believer there will always be more questions that answers, or so it would seem. And I know it is called a mystery of faith. But it seems to me there are so many that will flat out cut you off or even shun you if you dare to ask questions. Or worse yet if you happen to be not of their Religion. This I find odd...

Anyway, I do not know where all that came from....oh well..there it is anyway.

And like I originally meant to say, you are not alone and thanks for the inspiring post!
  #1803   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-08, 09:56

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
Anyone can sit around and preach to the Choir and smiley Glad hand with others of the same background. But to my way of thinking aren't we supposed to reach out to those who either do not believe or have questions about believing either in Christianity or about believing in the first place?

I do not question to mock or belittle or shock people, but I have questions about my faith, my belief and Christianity in General. I find it odd that so many Christians cannot tell me at least why they believe what they believe. They can and will tell you that they believe and that you should believe too, but not why they believe what they believe.

I know as a believer there will always be more questions that answers, or so it would seem. And I know it is called a mystery of faith. But it seems to me there are so many that will flat out cut you off or even shun you if you dare to ask questions. Or worse yet if you happen to be not of their Religion. This I find odd...

Prof -- we're on the same page. Do you happen to know of any online discussion forums where apologetics, doubts, and (especially) biblical authority are discussed honestly without judgement? It's so hard to have a straightforward conversation about these things without Christians getting sanctimonious.

I'd like to take an objective look at evidence for and against the faith. Christians seem to go into panic mode when I start asking about evidence. It seems to me that Christianity should be able to stand up to scrutiny. If not, then we need to keep looking. When I've suggested that to Christians they look at me like I've said something horribly heretical and mumble about praying for me. To my way of thinking, we are duty-bound to seek out God as He exists rather than relying on assumptions about His nature.
  #1804   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
Prof -- we're on the same page. Do you happen to know of any online discussion forums where apologetics, doubts, and (especially) biblical authority are discussed honestly without judgement? It's so hard to have a straightforward conversation about these things without Christians getting sanctimonious.

I'd like to take an objective look at evidence for and against the faith. Christians seem to go into panic mode when I start asking about evidence. When I've suggested that to Christians they look at me like I've said something horribly heretical and mumble about praying for me. To my way of thinking, we are duty-bound to seek out God as He exists rather than relying on assumptions about His nature.

Do you happen to know of any online discussion forums where apologetics, doubts, and (especially) biblical authority are discussed honestly without judgment?
No, I do not. This thread has potential. At least it would if I stopped scaring everyone away! One thing I have found is a few great sources of books and audio.I have found the book, "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis to be very good. The same goes for "Forgiveness Is Tremendous" by Charlie "Tremendous" Jones and "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. I also have a book or three I have not read yet. Ravi Zaccharias, Martin Lloyd Jones and John Blanchard are all also well respected Authors. As to audios, I am part of a leadership Training organization and we have an ERM(Emmaus Road Ministries) series of Audio CD's that do a great Job. Oh and I would be remiss if I did not mention Pastor Robert Dickie. He has authored a few books, CD's and DVD's that I have gotten quite a lot out of. Oh, and I like watching Joel Osteen too, I may go see him when he is in Milwaukee this month.

Also, your pastor should either be a great resource himself or point you to a person or persons that can act as mentors to you. In the Leadership program this is the case for me, mentors are invaluable when you connect with them.

It's so hard to have a straightforward conversation about these things without Christians getting sanctimonious.
I know what you mean. Where is it written that one must be or act as pious as Charleton Heston did as Moses in the movie, The Ten Commandments? But then it occurs to me, maybe you have not found the right teacher yet?

I'd like to take an objective look at evidence for and against the faith.
I dunno, it seems to me looking for the arguments for the faith is the way to go. The arguments against Christ and the Christian Faith are easy to find, but it seems to me they don't stand up to scrutiny.

Christians seem to go into panic mode when I start asking about evidence.
That is what I meant about many being able to tell me whatto believe, but not why they believe what they believe.

It seems to me that Christianity should be able to stand up to scrutiny. If not, then we need to keep looking.
Standing up to scrutiny is largely a result of an open mind or a closed mind. It seems many folks get out of their scrutiny what they went in expecting to find, you know? As to keep looking, I haven't found anything else that speaks to me, or just seems so right.

When I've suggested that to Christians they look at me like I've said something horribly heretical and mumble about praying for me.
Like I said, it would seem to me that many don't know themselves how to explain why. But look on the brigth side, at least they will be praying for you!

To my way of thinking, we are duty-bound to seek out God as He exists rather than relying on assumptions about His nature.
I don't know that I would call it duty bound but I know I want to walk closer to Him everyday. I know that sounds like some sort of rehearsed utterance, but that is why I am here in this thread. I want to be closer to Christ even though I cannot explain why. As to as He exists, I think the Bible is pretty plain about that. Though messages from others can seem fairly conflicted about specifics. But as I read and learn more, this would seem to have been the case since the beginning of recorded time with people.

One thing is for sure, I believe there will always be more questions than answers. At least while we cling to this spinning rock looking for the truth. But then there is the rub, I believe it is called the mystery of faith by design. Faith being the keyword.

I don't claim to have all the answers myself, but I am hungry to learn, willing to submit to the teachings of the Bible and God's word and do find answers in the weirdest places. Or so it would seem.

Don't give up in your search. Myself I cannot explain it all, I try not to condemn or criticize other Christians (though apparently it happens) and try to love others as the Lord loves me. Maybe folks are stumbling etc as they are looking to find all the answers before they will allow themselves to believe?

I dunno... I just had a thought about something Spurgeon once said, he said he knew God chose him before he was born because he never gave Him a reason to be chosen after he was born!

Again, this is all IMHO....

Last edited by ProfGumby : Mon, Oct-06-08 at 19:39.
  #1805   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-08, 14:19
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 198/168/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default arthritis....cancers....and cures

hello! had to jump in here on this thread....i read a couple of people having problems with arthritis.....please check out doug kaufmans website...know the cause.com he talks a lot about diet....fungus....yeasts etc....all linked to arthritis.....i dont think his diet will frighten you at all...especially if you already low carb! he is a christian man who has had a tv show for years trying to enlighten folks about their bodies! a lot of cancer, arthritis, etc is really just fungus in our bodies.....kill the fungus, kill the cancer.....or arthritis....please check it out. a lot of people have never heard of him. i hope this helps someone. i will try to visit this thread more often....have a great day!!!
  #1806   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-08, 04:05

BF:

It seems God does not always choose perfect people (a good read through the Bible will tell). Maybe that is what makes his gift if salvation through Jesus so very valuable....
  #1807   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-08, 07:18

Plan: mayo
Stats: 165/145/110 Female 5'2" w/ shoes!!
BF:
Progress: 36%

subscribing to read through the thread! God's Blessings!
  #1808   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-08, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyLee
It seems God does not always choose perfect people (a good read through the Bible will tell). Maybe that is what makes his gift if salvation through Jesus so very valuable....

I am reading the book, "In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day" and the author makes that very point. Throughout time God often used/s less than perfect people to spread His Word.
  #1809   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-08, 19:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaob
subscribing to read through the thread! God's Blessings!

Welcome to the thread!
  #1810   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-08, 13:17

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I may have to read that book to Gumby. It sounds great.
Right now I am going through some health problems and cannot walk good anymore so I don't get to church or out like I use to do to do things for others or work with my church anymore and I have been praying to God that He will show me something that I can do for him. I know He knows my health problems and I am also sure He can use me in other ways that has nothing to do with being able to walk well. So I ask for your prays that God will reveal to me what His plans are for me.
I love doing Gods work and witnessing to others but right now it seems that it has all come to a halt with these medical problems of mine. I very seldom see many people anymore because I cannot get out.
I know there is something for me to do but right now I canot see what it is yet.
  #1811   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-08, 03:43

BF:

Hey, how is everyone????
  #1812   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-08, 14:09

BF:

Just wanted to say hi to all of you today. Hope everyone is having a great day.
Gumby read any good books lately? I have been readin the book "Five People You Meet In heaven".
God Bless everyone.

Here is something nice a freind sent to me and I wanted to share it with you to.
-----------------------------------------
"Emergency Telephone Numbers"

These are more effective than 911
When -
You are sad, phone John 14
You have sinned, phone Psalm 51
You are facing danger, phone Psalm 91
People have failed you, phone Psalm 27
It feels as though God is far from you, phone Psalm 139
Your faith needs stimulation, phone Hebrews 11
You are alone and scared, phone Psalm 23
You are worried, phone Matthew 8:19-34
You are hurt and critical, phone 1 Corinthians 13
You wonder about Christianity, phone 2 Corinthians 5:15-18
You feel like an outcast, phone Romans 8:31-39
You are seeking peace, phone Matthew 11:25-30
It feels as if the world is b igger than God, phone Psalm 90
You need Christ like insurance, phone Romans 8:1-30
You are leaving home for a trip , phone Psalm 121
You are praying for yourself, phone Psalm 87
You require courage for a task, phone Joshua 1
Inflation's and investments are hogging your thoughts, phone Mark 10:17-31
You are depressive, phone Psalm 27
Your bank account is empty, phone Psalm 37
You lose faith in mankind, phone 1 Corinthians 13
It looks like people are unfriendly, phone John 15
You are losing hope, phone Psalm 126
You feel the world is small comp ared to you, phone Psalm 19
You want to carry fruit, phone John 15
Paul's secret for happiness, phone Colossians 3:12-17
With big opportunity/ discovery, phone Isaiah 55
To get along with other people, phone Romans 12
ALTERNATE NUMBERS
For dealing with fear, call Psalm 47
For security, call Psalm 121:3
For assurance, call Mark 8:35
For reassurance, call Psalm 145:18
ALL THESE NUMBERS MAY BE PHONED DIRECTLY.
NO OPERATOR ASSISTANCE IS NECESSARY.
ALL LINES TO HEAVEN ARE AVAILABLE 24 HOURS A DAY.
FEED YOUR FAITH, AND DOUBT WILL STARVE TO DEATH
  #1813   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-08, 19:41

Love the Post Sissy Poo!

BTW, I have read that book, when you get through it, ask me what part almost moved me to tears. Oh, I have also read "Tuesdays With Morrie" also from Mitch Albom. That too is a fantastic book!

Also, if I could ask for prayers for a friend who just had a tumor removed from her brain, she is doing remarkably well and recovering quickly. But a prayer at this point is never a bad idea, right?

I have to also comment that she is a terrific inspiration going through this. She is at peace with her relationship with the Lord, has her life in terrific order and went into the surgery with an attitude of tremendous peace, and optimism.

She wrote this on a blog the day of her surgery -
The day is here. Today’s the day I won’t have a brain tumor any more!

These next days of healing, I’ll hold on to a favorite old hymn:

Day by day and with each passing moment

Strength I find to meet my trials here.

Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment

I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.

In His peace, Terri

She asked to consider this verse when wanting to know her mindset -

John 5:14-15 "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of Him."
  #1814   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 11:31

BF:

Hi Gumby, just wanted to see how you were doing.
They have a Billy Graham movine coming out thjis month about his life. I plan to go see it.
Click the site below and then click on watch trailer.
God Bless.

http://www.fireproofthemovie.com/_widget/widget.swf"

Last edited by SissyPoo : Sun, Oct-19-08 at 13:32.
  #1815   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-08, 11:04

Plan: cad,calp
Stats: 244.5/244.5/150 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default hello

im so sorry it has been so long since i posted i hope everyone is counting their blessing this season God bless you all