Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 19:10

Plan: atkins/BFL
Stats: 306/280/235
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default hamburger bun choices

I've been looking for low carb hamburger bun options. I tried the Atkins bun mix. Yuck! On the Synergy site I see Better bakery hamburger buns with 9.25g net carbs for a half bun . That does not sound low carb enough to be an option. I found some nutritional info on a website about Wonder Lite Hamburger buns (hot dog buns too). I can't find the site again but the numbers I remember are: 13g total carbs, 5g fiber and 8g net carbs for a whole bun. I have bought these in the past and they were fine. Now that I am low carbing, however, I can't seem to locate them. Has anyone tried these and are the numbers correct as I remember them?

Last edited by basalt : Fri, Aug-30-02 at 20:14.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 10:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/193/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default bun

Have you tried Atkins pancakes? If you make them small and thick I find they will suffice. Also good for hot dogs - pigs in blankets style. Or you can just use regular buns and do what I do with fast food - use the bun as a handle and tear off the bun as you go.

jeffe
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 13:40

Plan: atkins/BFL
Stats: 306/280/235
BF:
Progress: 37%

Thanks for the response. I have tried the Atkins pancake mix but really did not think of using it for burgers. The pig in a blanket is a natural. If I can't find the Wonder Lite buns I will probably just resort to using the Atkins sliced bread. I like it prety well and it has enough texture to hold up to use as a burger as long as you don't go too gloppy with the toppings.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 21:16

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Atkins Bagels?

I thought I'd revive this thread and mention that the Atkis bagels (which I'm suddenly finding available everywhere!) make excellent hamburger. They're a little on the small side, but have the right flavor (especially the onion ones) and texture.

I think it would be great if the Atkins brand folks used their onion bagel recipe to make some ready-to-eat buns!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 12:10

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

My family loves the "rolls" by O'SoLo. They come in a number of flavors including original, sourdough, cinnamin, rye, and pumpernickle. All of them have around 3 carbs. The rollz are small...but at 3 grams , have two. I can find them on the net and at our local health food stores. The cinnamin makes yummy french toast.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 15:27

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%

It looks wierd but I shape my burgers oblong and roll them up in a La Tortilla low carb tortilla. Net 3 grams. The onion is my favorite.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 21:19
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

I got O'solo buns at GNC on sale yesterday for 1.50 a box. I'm still in induction, but she said they froze well. I got one of each box to try them out.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 19:54

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

Great price Nursey15! You may not need to freeze the rollz. Check the date on the box. Usually they last for a loooong time. I have never frozen ours (we eat them before thats necessary ) so I can't say how freezing will effect the texture. Hope you like them. I am going to check and see if they are on sale at our GNC!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 01:42

Plan: proteinpower
Stats: 123/122/121
BF:
Progress:

OMG low carb emporium makes these REALLY GOOD buns that are 2.5 carbs per bun and they're A LOT BETTER than o so lo or atkins or anything!!!.... and they make cinnamon raisin bread at 1 carb per slice and bagels at 2.5 carbs per bagel in all sorts of flavors.... and none of that 'spongy' texture!!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 08:19

Plan: Atkins (calories count)
Stats: 204/148/150 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

argo2d: Where can I find them? I have never heard of Low Carb Emporium before, would love to try the bagels! Thanks!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 12:35
Registered Member

Plan: no rice
Stats: 132/132/112 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

hiya there,
iim just curious if its okay to eating atkins pancake mix.. ive been eating 4 round slices everyday.. im not even sure how many carbs are on those. if you know please rply... one more question is it safe to eat mcdonalds cheeseburger without the buns?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 20:33
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I also like the Atkins bagels as hamburger buns. I've tried the various flavors of O'SoLo and they aren't for me. But the Atkins bagels are great!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 20:54
Registered Member

Plan: South Atkins
Stats: 299/285/220 Male 74 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Low Carb Emporium Buns

Oh yeah, those Low Carb Emporium buns really rock. I get them here in the Sacramento area at the local Raley's. In fact, all of their products are first rate in my book. They have a website www.deepdiscountnutrition.com and you can order them to be shipped frozen. They are worth it! The best low carb product that I have found.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 15:27

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I also use La Tortilla in place of burger buns...
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 17:16

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

The low-carb emporium buns have become the only bread I need. I've tried so many, and they are the only ones that aren't spongey.
I had a discussion with the owner of a LC store in Pacific Grove, and he said that although they carry other LC Emporium products, they won't carry the buns because they carry the Osolo brand. He said they are better anyway because they don't need to be frozen. I let him know that in my world, bread with a 12 week shelf-life is not a good thing! It's scary!
I love the LC Emporium, though. I just take 1 or 2 out every few days and put them in the fridge. I normally just eat them 1/2 at a time. Out of all the expensive products out there, this one is worth it!