Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 14:05

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Feeling crappy...day 45

I was feeling so good and something has changed. I wish I knew what.

I feel irritable, headachey, cranky etc. I could perhaps call it a sugar craving but could it really be after this long? I will say though that I know sugar would help me feel better ~ temporarily! I think that was my fix for all that ails me in the past

I wasn't taking the chicken stock anymore because I thought it was for the first bit, but started again yesterday. Haven't been sleeping right but got on magnesium and did a bit better last night.

I could have a sinus infection (it's dry in AZ and it happens) but I'm not sure on that...it's just a general malaise mixed with anxiety - I am just not my normal self.

Just to add to this, it's like my brain is not working properly and simple things seem so difficult and frustrating.

My carbs are very low. Any ideas?

Last edited by 1DogDay : Thu, Jan-14-16 at 14:12.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 14:49

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

If you were getting salt with your chicken stock, it's probably a good thing to resume. I've been doing the strict lc version for almost two years, and I still need additional salt occasionally. Your symptoms sound like that may be lacking. I don't get the lc flu, but can tell when my electrolytes need boosting. That with the magnesium you've started may do the trick. You might have a sinus infection, and this will help with that as well. A good electrolyte level helps boost the immune system! Don't fear the salt!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 15:02
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Especially early on, I would get 'carb flu' like symptoms and feel a little extra hungry after a long plateau with the scale. It meant a 'whoosh' was finally underway. The next day or two were usually good mornings with the scale. It could be you are just catching a bug, too. Lets hope for the whoosh.

Still, I do occasionally feel a little crappy -- even when I'm not 'whooshing' and not sick. The first thing I go to is salt. That usually fixes me up quick. I hope you feel better soon.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 16:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

Agree with both Rob and Ken. If I'm feeling off, and I know it's not that I'm sick, I up the salt.

That, usually, seems to be it, and I feel better.

One of the symptoms of hyponatremia (too low salt levels) is a rapid heartbeat, and a rapid heartbeat FEELS like anxiety, even in the absence of actually being anxious.

We get used to interpreting our bodies' signals a certain way, and then run with it, don't we?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 16:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Having just gotten over a whopper of a cold, followed by a persistent sinus infection, that was about how I felt during the first day, except I had a massive sore throat too.

But try the extra salt. Also, if your sinuses are bugging you, try nasal flushes with boiled water and a bit of salt (about 1/4 tsp per cup). That might help.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 19:59

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Thank you everyone!

I'm going to have some salt now, and I'm going to keep taking the magnesium before bed and will use my nasal rinse (I have the packets).

I never used to get sinus infections but have had almost 2 per year for the last 2 years. It's all about living in the Sedona (higher elevation) and supposedly a combo of extreme dry air mixed with constantly running furnace and allergies (which I honestly never knew I had - no sniffles, no stuffiness, nothing).

I do think I'll have to do something about my sinuses, possibly eliminate dairy which I love as it makes the WOE enjoyable for me.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 20:10

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

My husband and I traveled in Eastern Europe this fall and while we were there, my husband got a cold/allergies. The first thing our Latvian tour guide suggested was gargling with salt. Turns out salt has antibacterial properties. Using a netty pot with salt water can help allergies and keep a bacterial infection from developing (oh I see Nancy recommended that too....she knows her salt.)

As long as you are keeping your carbs below 50 g per day, you need extra salt.

We also visited a salt mine while in Poland. It was thought to be a therapeutic environment by the locals.

Salt, salt, salt, why do we (Americans/Canadians/Brits)think it's not good for us?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 20:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

1DD: try to find a good garlic supplement. The ones with enteric coating don't break down till they hit your small intestine, so don't give you "knock people out" breath.

Garlic is a natural antibiotic, as well as a natural anti-inflammatory. It seems particularly to improve the health of mucus membranes.