Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-13, 20:40

Plan: Wheat Belly
Stats: 245/232/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Increased Urination, Ketosis?

I just started LC (Atkins) yesterday. today is my second day. I have been having to run to the bathroom a lot today. Its as though I had taken a fluid pill. I wondered if it was the increase in water that I have been drinking or is it ketosis? I normally do not drink water, period. Just Coffee and Soda. So, I have not had anything but one cup of coffee per day and Water the rest of the day since I began this WOE. Is this normal? I take a Fluid Pill for Hypertension but stopped taking it when I started this because I know that this WOE has the same effect and did not want to deplete my potassium levels too much. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 09:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'll state the obvious first. If you drink more, you'll pee more.

Yes, ketosis makes you shed all the glycogen you've stored up in muscles, liver and other places. You'll also lose a lot of sodium in the process and you should be very generous replacing it otherwise you will feel awful.

Take a look at the salt thread in my signature.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 12:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'll state the obvious first. If you drink more, you'll pee more.

Obviously I figured that might be the reason for the frequent urination but just wondered about Ketosis as I have seen some say that it happened very early on for them like this and today is Day 3 for me.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 12:19

Plan: Paelo
Stats: 205/185.2/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 40%

I started yesterday and noticed the same thing! I love it! Someone told me once that we lose most of our weight from peeing and breathing!! LOL Not sure if I'm in ketosis as I'm not doing strict lowcarb, (had peanut butter yesterday,) but know I must be close. Good luck on your journey and big well done on your loss so far!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 12:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Both prepare yourself for the common pattern of weight loss with LC by reading this popular article: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...99&page=1&pp=15
As explained in the second section, of the first 10 pounds lost, 9 may be water...that's a lot of visits to this bathroom.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 12:48
Experimenter

BF:

I forgot to say a whole lot of water is stored with glycogen. My theory is that high-carb eaters become quite puffy with water because of that. I call them: Puffy People.

Anyway, as the glycogen is used up, the water is released and gets flushed out of the body... taking salt and other minerals along with it. Sodium depletion, to the point of not feeling good, is why a lot of the carb flu symptoms happen.

Make certain you're supplementing sodium or you'll feel like poo.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 13:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ south beach
Stats: 148/135/130 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

Oh my Thanks Ladies for this info about salt when in ketosis. I have been feeling achey all over for last 48 hours and will up my salt intake. I have always been a heavy salt user..and had cut back because I thought it would retain fluid...but looks like I will need to up the NaCl back to even above my normal... so this is a welcome fix for me. I love the stuff!
I have been using vegetable juice for potassium.
Thanks again! I am learning so much in these forums..yeah!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 13:58

BF:
Default Salt

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to read through the info you shared. I have been doing good with using salt and drinking plenty of water too. I have not really noticed any flu like symptoms thus far. Though I did wake up in the middle of the night last night with my leg aching. For the first 24 hours I had a very slight headache but that has since gone away. I could live with that, I suffer from Migraines and take meds for them so believe me that headache was nothing compared to the usual ones. Hoping this WOE will help to alleviate the Headaches as well.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 14:20
Experimenter

BF:

If you get sodium depleted then you'll also lose other minerals like magnesium, potassium and calcium. So you might need to supplement those too, along with the salt, if you've let yourself get too washed out.

Muscle cramps are usually an indication of sodium + some other electrolyte depletion (mag. or potassium, most likely).
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 14:29

BF:

Quote:
If you get sodium depleted then you'll also lose other minerals like magnesium, potassium and calcium. So you might need to supplement those too, along with the salt, if you've let yourself get too washed out.

Muscle cramps are usually an indication of sodium + some other electrolyte depletion (mag. or potassium, most likely).

So would a Multi-Vitamin be the key or seperate individual supplements? I am anemic and have to take Iron Supplements already. Do not want to overload myself with too much iron.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 15:09

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Okay, someone please tell me why on the first and second day of my diet, I pee'd a lot. I had to get up 4 or 5 times during the night (aggravating!) and now, on Day 4 and today, Day 5, I'm not peeing more than I normally would, even though I am making a good attempt to drink nothing but water, with the exception of an espresso, but I am drinking tall glasses of water. Before, I'd drink sweetened tea all day, an occassional Coke, maybe 2 sugary cappuccinos.

Now, water...... espresso with a little heavy cream....... and only one glass of sf kool aid that I had yesterday.

Is there an explanation?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 15:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly B
Okay, someone please tell me why on the first and second day of my diet, I pee'd a lot. I had to get up 4 or 5 times during the night (aggravating!) and now, on Day 4 and today, Day 5, I'm not peeing more than I normally would, even though I am making a good attempt to drink nothing but water, with the exception of an espresso, but I am drinking tall glasses of water. Before, I'd drink sweetened tea all day, an occassional Coke, maybe 2 sugary cappuccinos.

Now, water...... espresso with a little heavy cream....... and only one glass of sf kool aid that I had yesterday.

Is there an explanation?

Hmm,I have no clue. All I drink is one cup of Black Coffee for Breakfast and nothing but straight water throughout the day. This is day 3 for me. I did not notice the frequent urination on day one, it started yesterday and has continued throughout the day today. Maybe someone else can chime in for you.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 16:09
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fatmomma
So would a Multi-Vitamin be the key or seperate individual supplements? I am anemic and have to take Iron Supplements already. Do not want to overload myself with too much iron.

Potassium = Nu-Salt (cheap and higher potency than pills)
Magnesium, any sort of chelated magnesium is good. Avoid magnesium oxide, magnesium citrate. They're used for constipation.

Don't rely on multivitamins for them.

Also, take magnesium with a meal, it can upset your tummy.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 16:17

BF:

Quote:
Potassium = Nu-Salt (cheap and higher potency than pills)
Magnesium, any sort of chelated magnesium is good. Avoid magnesium oxide, magnesium citrate. They're used for constipation.

Don't rely on multivitamins for them.

Also, take magnesium with a meal, it can upset your tummy.

So is the Nu-Salt some sort of Salt Substitute? My doctor specifically warned me not to use ANY Salt Substitutes period. I have never heard of that one though.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 16:19
Experimenter

BF:

Oh, if you're on potassium sparing diuretics you should check with your doctor before supplementing potassium. Yes, Nu-Salt is a salt-substitute with lots of potassium.