Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-13, 12:44

Plan: Wheat Belly
Stats: 245/232/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Anyone Else Doing this without a Scale?

I just wanted to see if I was not alone in this. I have decided to do this without a scale. My main purpose in that is this time I do not want to be a slave to a scale. I hate those disappointing moments when you step on a scale and do not see it move as much as you think it should have. That sets me up for defeat. I am going to go by measurements as opposed to weight. I will know I have lost when my clothes get loose...etc. I will go by the weight on my Doctors Scale at my checkups. At least for the first few months, I may get a scale a few months down the road but for now I am afraid it would only hinder my progress as opposed to helping it. Just my two cents.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-13, 15:01

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

No, I weigh myself every morning; it's part of my routine now. It is disappointing, certainly, if it doesn't show a loss, but I don't let it get to me. I only actually "count" the weight on Mondays, as that is the day my support group meets. The weights on the other days just serve to keep me focused.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-13, 15:14

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Well, I started this diet 4 days ago without a scale. In fact, I'm not even sure what I weigh exactly, but 2 weeks ago when I was at my doctor's office, I weighed in about 245. SOOOO, I decided to buy a scale.

When I was on the SBD five years ago, the scale was a HUGE motivator for me! I remember that I lost 13lbs in the first 2 weeks. Then, as instructed, I added in a fruit or grain (I chose a fruit--apple), and I stalled for about 2 weeks. And then whammo! I kept a log, and every day I lost at least a pound, sometimes 2! The weight was just dropping off of me! So the scale is a huge motivator to me. Also, by knowing how much I weigh, I can put one of those weight ticker things in my signature and show off to everyone here how much I am losing, or not losing. It is a big motivator too--you don't want people to see you fail. For me, the scale and ticker are essential.

My scale should arrive this week, and I'm excited! I only wish I'd know exactly what my starting weight was. I might be on this diet 8, 9 days before the scale comes.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-13, 15:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I did it the second time round without scales. I used a pair of jeans as my bench mark, but before I could even get them passed my hips I simply went by how lose clothes were getting. Afterall, its not about how much you weigh or lose, its about the inches coming off and looking slimmer - scales dont really tell you anything, our bodies fluctuate so much!

Jo xxx
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-13, 17:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
I did it the second time round without scales. I used a pair of jeans as my bench mark, but before I could even get them passed my hips I simply went by how lose clothes were getting. Afterall, its not about how much you weigh or lose, its about the inches coming off and looking slimmer - scales dont really tell you anything, our bodies fluctuate so much!

Jo xxx

Wow! Its great that some of you can use the scale and it works for you. I am just afraid it would have the opposite effect on me. I too my measurements earlier and guess I will just go by what I measure as in the past I have lost inches when the scale did not seem to budge for me lol Maybe its just me?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-13, 19:40

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

No, not just you. I measure as well, also on the "official day", Monday. When the pounds aren't moving, often the inches are, so that's good. I just like to see the numbers go down, but I no longer get depressed (much) if they aren't going down as fast as I would like them to. Actually. "as fast as I would like them to" is a physical impossibility! <grin>
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-13, 20:15

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

I didn't use a scale the first time and did great, but now I'm a slave to the stupid thing and I'm ready to just buy bigger clothes and give up. Two weeks, no cheats and I swear I gained 2 pds.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 00:50

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 165/154.3/148 Female 170cm
BF:No Thanks.
Progress: 63%

I'm using both. But....if I only went by the scale I would be very discouraged no loss at all the last couple of weeks. But each week the inches come off on the measuring tape so that keeps me motivated. I wish I could just weigh in on the scale say once a month. But once a week is my limit.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 03:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie328
I didn't use a scale the first time and did great, but now I'm a slave to the stupid thing and I'm ready to just buy bigger clothes and give up. Two weeks, no cheats and I swear I gained 2 pds.

Hang in there! Hopefully it will even out for you. Maybe its some extra water weight or bloat?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 04:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

So who cares what you weigh?? Water weight, muscle weight, full bladder/bowel, the odd lb or two on and off, here and there....... it means nothing. I can lose 3lbs by going to the bathroom lol. You need to see and feel your clothes getting loser and moving down sizes. Thats what counts!

Jo xxx

Last edited by ojoj : Mon, Aug-05-13 at 06:25.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 05:56

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

The thing is I can't quit because I coach 2 people and one is down 115 pds and the other is down 50 pds, so what kind of example would I be if I quit. I just have to keep going and use this stall as a teaching tool.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 08:50

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I did my first 50+ pounds without a scale, but that was because I was so heavy my scale could not register my weight! I just had to take the diet on faith alone since at around 400 pounds I could easily lose 40-50 pounds without much change registering in my measurements or the way my clothes fit.

Finally I did get below 350 and was able to register on my scale, and since then I have done my best to weigh in every single day. If I miss a few days the scale invariably goes up, and then I get bummed out. If I weigh in every day at least I know what's happening.

And again, at my current weight, I'd need to lose at least 20+ pounds before I noticed any difference in the way my clothes fit, and that's a long time to go without any sort of satisfaction, But when I weigh myself I can celebrate 1 pound or 2 pounds or 3 pounds, etc.

I *never* take my measurements. Doing so has only ever led to despair and heartache. Do you know what it's like to lose 25 pounds and see every single measurement go up? That's the sort of thing that always happens to me. Measurements are too subjective for me. I like seeing that number on the scale. EVERY DAY. It helps keep me honest and mostly under control.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 10:09

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I decided to hunt down my measuring tape yesterday after talking about the scale and I did measure my biggest stomach ever - 55", and my neck too, which is 17". I have never had much of a defined neck even when I was young-- now it's full of fat and I hate it!! I'm only doing those 2 measurements this time. Last time on SBD I measured everything and it was frustrating. Good luck, everyone! We can do it!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 10:37

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Rather than taking measurements (which is hard to do consistently on some body parts) you could always dig out a far-too-tight outfit or pair of jeans or shirt and judge your fat shedding by the way you fit into it.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 12:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly B
I have never had much of a defined neck even when I was young-- now it's full of fat and I hate it!! I'm only doing those 2 measurements this time. Last time on SBD I measured everything and it was frustrating. Good luck, everyone! We can do it!!

You too huh? My husband and kids have always called me "No Neck" or when I mention something about my Neck my hubby retorts "What neck? You don't have one, your head just sits on top of your shoulders!" My dad was the same way, nothing to do with our weight for us, its just how we were made.