Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 15:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239.4/239.4/219.8 Female 157.48 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Boots Locarb chocolate - Help!!!

This stuff is yummy. And it says it's only 4g net carbs which is great but I am confused as to the food labels and I know this has been tackled on another thread but it just confused me.

The label reads:

Carbobydrates: 18g
of which sugars 3.6g
of which polyols 14g

So does this mean that it's the 'carbs that sugar' which are the net carbs and that on other food labels if it states an amount of carbs that sugar then that is the Net Carb total I use and not the overall total of carbs.

This has confused me in my reading and I think I am just being stupid so any help I can get would be fabulous.

Gayle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 19:15

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Nett carbs for sweet stuff that includes polyols are calculated by subtracting the carbs in the polyols from the total carbs: in this case, 18 - 14 = 4.
But you need to beware on 2 fronts: one is the polyol effect on your stomach (belly ache and the runs) and the second is the likelihood of being stalled, perhaps because we really can't fully discount all the carbs from polyol sweeteners. Some people recommend only cancelling out half of them, making the above bar 11 carbs in total.
Babs
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 04:29

BF:
Thumbs up

Hi Babs,

Thanks so much for that - it's really made everything clearer I didn't really understand why taking the 'carbs that sugar' off was the answer but didn't even think much further than that. Just got confused. Thank you SO much.

Gayle x
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 06:22

Stats: 135/112/105 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 77%

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with the sugar alcohols. Pop over to Sainsburys and grab some Lindt 85% Cocoa chocolate. I just had two squares to snack on and it was delish! It does contain a tiny bit of sugar but too minimal to have any effect or impact. A lot of people eat a square everyday while on induction - albeit not a strict one.

It's a lot healthier than all those nasty sugar alcohols and you don't need more than a square or two to satisfy the sweet tooth or cravings.

Just if you were interested, the nutrition for the whole 100g bar of Lindt 85% is:

Carb : 19g
Fat : 46g
Protein : 11g
Cals : 530

Good luck with your weight loss!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-15-05, 03:42

BF:

Thanks for that. The thing I worry about with that is that I tend to binge eat with too much yummy chocolate in the house and I would worry about it being there - if that makes sense. I'm not sure I could just stick to a couple of squares. And the same goes for the chocolate from Boots to which is why I am not aiming to buy anything in bulk.

But there is always the argument that as I am trying to get over a sweet tooth I should give up all chocolate - but am not sure I am quite ready for that lol. Mind you I was diagnosed with MS 6 months ago and since then had been doing a low fat diet to get my weight down and don't eat a huge amount of chocolate right now anyway.

I guess it's trial and error. I worry about my binging and how it will be in Induction. I know it will be really hard and I have to keep telling myself it does get easier I guess.

Gayle x
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-15-05, 04:17

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Gayle, I've read that LC is good for MS - my brother suffers from it, though he's not very open to trying the diet. Unlike many people, I think that slowly reducing carbs is a good way to ease into this way of eating for life. Best of luck.
Babs