Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 13:00
Registered Member

Plan: body opus
Stats: 166/131/125 Male 68"
BF:10%
Progress: 85%
Default Insomnia and CKD

Does anyone here experience trouble sleeping? I usually experience trouble sleeping on thursday night. I was wondering if it is due to my diet or some chemical imbalance, I heard that carbs are responsible for the production of seratonin in the brain or something like that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 14:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/205/180 Male 6'0"
BF:

Are you taking caffeine + ephedra? I loose some sleep while in ketosis but it's mostly due to working out to close to bed time. If I don't work out I sleep like I would normally (endorphins are the cause of no sleep for me).

You can try some all natural melatonin at night, it usually works pretty well for most. Of course on carb up days I sleep like a baby :^D.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 15:31

Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

Also, when do you work out? Working out too soon before going to bed can keep you up. I think it's something like 3 or 4 hours after working and then your body turns the temp down and you feel like going to sleep.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 04:30
Registered Member

Default well..

well i used to take caffeine in pill form, but never effedrine man. I lift heavy monday and tuesday (5-8 reps) never too late. wednesday thursday and friday i do High intensity cardio 20 minute sessions, then friday which was today or yesterday since its saturday morning, i did a 3 hour depletion workout and i am dead tired. Im only up because i just got back from going out. The only day i take caffeine now is friday to help me get through the workout. I think when i do too much cardio i have trouble sleeping, that day i did kickboxing for 25 minutes intense and then i felt like jumping rope and i did that for like 15 minutes and that day i had trouble sleeping, but its weird that the past weeks ive always had trouble sleeping on thursday night hmm i dunno....
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 04:32
Registered Member

Stats: 136/120/118 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 89%

I haven't slept well at all since low carbing.
I'm up at 2:30 to 3:30 every morning. I suppose it could be EXTRA energy but 'this' is ridiculous.
Good thing I'm a morning person.
Susie
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 09:28

BF:

Low carbing has its issues. I just did a carb up last night and woke up 5 pounds lighter than I've been all week .

What level of body fat are you at right now cantorious? Perhaps it's time to take a break from the low carbing and let the brain box run on its fave fule for a while.

Loosing weight isn't exactly a challenge on this diet . Sorry you guys are having trouble sleeping, a low fat diet or melatonin from a health food store is the only safe way to get some z's.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 18:18
Registered Member

Default you know what...

i think i know what it is, i remember on thursday I had trouble sleeping right. I slept like at 4am or something, not exactly sure. Woke up like at 7-8am ate 3 eggs with a tblsp of butter and went back to bed. Woke up around noon. I think its just my sleeping habits, and sometimes I sleep too much so that could be it you know, I sleep very deep soo sometimes i wake up after 6-7 hours and I feel great but in my head i'm like "hmmm it would feel nice to snuggle in my bed again" so i lay down and get some more rest just because I can you know. Yea its just bad sleeping habits on my part, but I know for sure you're seratonin levels which help you sleep are much lower on a diet lacking lots of carbs. OH and my bodyfat level hmmmm. Guess what it is and ill tell you if your close k .
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 08:41

BF:

Well all in all your just going to loose some sleep, as you've pointed out you usually make up for it somewhere along the line .

I think I'm going to invest in some 5-Htp as I hear it increases seritonin release. I had a somewhat restless night last night so I'll let you know how it goes.