Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 11:14
Registered Member

Plan: body opus
Stats: 166/131/125 Male 68"
BF:10%
Progress: 85%
Smile SUspiCious p0rk rinds...hmmm....help

Well,
I was in the 99 cent store today walking around and something caught my eye.....PORK RINDS!!! They had 3 different flavors; original, Hot and barbeque. I read the labels and they all said - Per serving- Total Fat=5g Protein=8 Total Carbohydrate=0..Since they were only 99 cents I decided to buy one of each flavor and try them all out. As soon as I got home i popped open a bag of the Barbeque flavor and i was like wow these are pretty good. So i'm sitting on the couch just eating pork rinds you know, and im looking over the label and at the very bottom of the package in small letters it says... INGREDIENTS; fried pork skins, salt added, SUGAR, wheat flour, torula yeast, soy flour, paprika, MALTODEXTRIN, garlic powder, DEXTROSE and other stuff... The regular pork rinds just say Ingredients; Pork Skins, salt.....but each flavor has the same Nutrition facts except for different levels of sodium...I just wanted to know what you guys think. Do these barbeque pork rinds have hidden carbs?? or is the added sugars to make the barbeque flavor so minimal that it would have no major impact on my insulin/blood sugar levels. It sucks because I dont have ketosticks nor a glucose meter...i want your opinions, just give me a lil insight here people.
Thanks, Cantorious.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 11:25

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

The carbs in the pork rinds are probably not enough to kick you out of ketosis.
But the way "they" get around labeling carbs is the "per serving" loophole. If it is less than one carb "per serving" then they don't have to list the carbs.
I don't eat pork rinds personally due to the high soduim and water retention.

Jag
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 13:41
Registered Member

Default ahhhhh.... i see

Thnks Jag,
i was worried thier for a second, i'm being super critical with my carbs M-F right now since im trying to drop to really low bodyfat levels. I was on the anabolic diet before and i realized were i screwed up while cutting, my carbload. On the weekends I would just drink cases of beer and eat pizza and anything else because my anabolic diet book didnt go into details about different carbs and sugars like they did in Body Opus. It just said to carb load on the weekends but it didnt go into specifics, I was starting to get frustrated with the whole ordeal because i've been stuck at about 10% bodyfat for like 3 weeks it seems, at the same weight. I have a fat-caliper but i dont trust those because it read that i was at 6% bodyfat which i'm obviously not, they dont measure stubborn fat. This coming weekend is gonna be my first super-organized carb load, im kinda excited haha. I ordered a bag of dextrose that im gonna use to mix into unsweetened kool-aid and I bought smarties .
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 15:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Were the 'serving sizes' different for different flavours? I never buy the flavours because I just don't trust the makers to tell the truth about the carbs. I use the plain ones for breading, and under cheese and for dips.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 17:15

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

CKD carb ups should be low fat, low protein.
the first 24 hours Hi GI carbs and the second 24 hours low GI.
Have you checked out the CKD 101 thread?

Jag
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 17:22
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS DIET
Stats: 123/122.5/110 Female 5 something
BF:
Progress: 4%

i think pork rinds was one of the reasons of my stall..just my guess.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 00:34
Registered Member

Default yea i checked em precisely...

Tofi,
I was eyeballing those nutrition labels in every which way and remember i have plain, red hot and barbeque pork rinds. All bags said 10 servings per bag, Each serving contains; 80 cals, 8grams protein, 5 grams fat, 0 carbs, the only thing different is that each label has different sodium levels and also where it says ingredients of course ingredients will be different for different flavors. I'm the same way, i dont really trust labels 100%.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 00:36
Registered Member

no i havent checked the CKD 101 thread but i will now! thnx Jag you've been of tremendous help..