Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 20:01

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Thyroid and body temp questions...

Had a few questions about Hypothyroid diagnosis and body temp...

1. No big surprise, but TSH is considered by my doc as normal...I do have several of the hypo symptoms*...but most alraming is the body temp...I've been subnorm most of my life, but everyone sort of shrugged off...but now I've started tracking...I range anywhere from 95.2 to 97.6 and average in the low 96s. Those aren't typos and come from several different thermometers. This is regular daytime temp NOT basal/waking. (isn't daytime temp usually higher than basal?)

2. Does anyone kow of other reasons/causes for such a low ongoing body temp other than hypothyroid?

3. Does anyone know of complications or dangers from such a low body temp in and of itself.

4. I'm a guy and noticed that Hypothyroid appears to be more of a female gender-specific phenomenon...is this the case or is just a reflection of differences in how men and women deal with the symptoms.

My possible symptoms:

+ Low Body Temp
+ Low Metabolism (I eat 2K cals a day, run 4-5 miles and am still 20lbs overweight)
+ Dry, thin, scaly skin in a number places
+ Hair loss (not my head...on my legs)
+ Lethargy
+ Mental sluggishness (many minor lapses in memory and concentration)

Any input?

Thanks

Brian
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 15:25

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

your situation sounds similar to mine, only a little more extreme.

If you want, you can read my recent post on this subject http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=86734 ... hope I did that right.

Your temps are lower, and you have more obvious symptoms. My TSH came back in the normal range, according to my doctor anyway, so they didn't do further testing (T3, T4, etc.) Anyway, I am just wondering if you had more extensive tests done beyond just the TSH, and I am also wondering if I should do the same.

From what I've read, there seems to be a lot of confusion about what a normal TSH is. Some say anything over 2 is out of whack.

In my case it could just mean that I need to watch the booze and watch the calories, but I wish I could get a more definitive answer.