Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#976   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 08:16

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvest
Check out http://www.carnivegan.com/index.php?p=faq

I split a gut laughing. It's very humerous

Hahahahaha...this is hysterically funny.
Sponsored Links
  #977   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 08:47

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss K
Hi, theBear.

I hope that you do not mind my asking, but are you able to stay regular on a 100% meat diet?

Just to add to the Bear's response, when I left home (when my mother forced me to eat fruits and veggies) for college, I felt so liberated foodwise that I had not eaten any veggies for fruits for about 10 years.

During that time with a very low fiber intake (the only fiber I derived was probably from peanut butter and spaghetti), I had never had any constipation issues what so ever.

This "regular" thing has always been a myth to me. Perhaps, my physiology is different, but I've enver needed roughage of any kind to maintain my bodily...er...functions.
  #978   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 09:58

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

THanks for your comments Bear. Yes, i forgot to mention lamb. As a matter of fact we had lamb ribs for dinner last night, so yes i do buy lamb occasionally, and enjoy it. I will take your advice and start shopping at more than one store and check out the meat sales at the surrounding stores. i do have one extra freezer downstairs, so i can stock up atleast a little bit! Though i will have to freeze some meat to do so, which you dont seem to suggest. But eating meat from the freezer is better than eating veggies i am assuming? thanks.
karen
  #979   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 12:43
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Do you think that eating 120 grams of protein (45% of calories) with 50% fat is too much protein and not enough fat? Do you think my test results will improve by keeping my protein around 80 grams and fat around 142 grams? This works out to be 80% fat and 20% protein. No veggies. I've been doing these levels for a couple weeks now.

I'm curious what you or any of the others think? And I apologize for asking "personal" questions in what should be a discussion thread. I'm just very frustrated here.
Bawdy,

I think it is MUCH better for you to eat 80% fat / 20% protein, versus 50% fat / 45% protein. IMO, animal fat should be 70-80% of your calories... and I ALWAYS feel best when eating this much animal fat. How to get that much fat is sometimes a challenge. Eating lean sources of meat, like deer and bison, or any grass-fed animals, is not a good way to get lots of fat. I eat butter and eggs quite a bit. I have eaten a lot of pork in the past (since I got it cheap from a farmer). But, it seems that everyone says pork is not good. Haven't figured out exactly why that is, but I hear it from everywhere. Pork has lots of fat, and I feel great when eating all this fat.

Bear, what are good ways to get a consistent animal fat intake? Butter, cheese, cream, using tallow to cook, or what? The funny thing is, when I eat a high FAT diet, I don't have a problem eating all animal food. It is ONLY if my fat intake is down that I begin to crave carbs. I really think this is because my body wants FAT for energy... and if it cannot get it from animals, it wants to "make it's own fat" (using insulin to store glucose into fat cells). One way or the other, the human body will try and get what it needs. Does this make any sense?

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Tue, Mar-28-06 at 12:57.
  #980   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 12:55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom
i do have one extra freezer downstairs, so i can stock up atleast a little bit! Though i will have to freeze some meat to do so, which you dont seem to suggest. But eating meat from the freezer is better than eating veggies i am assuming? thanks.
Karen,

I have a freezer, and am glad I do. Every time I see a good buy on meat at a grocery store, I stock up and put the meat in my freezer. Also, by buying meat in bulk from farms, I have saved a lot of money. I can get fat for free from meat processors, render it, and freeze. The chicken I have ground up for my cats, I freeze. I know it would be "ideal" to eat only fresh killed animals... and eating that food raw would be the absolute best. But, this is simply unrealistic for me, and I am sure many people. If freezing meat only makes it taste a bit "off", well so be it. If it does not cause loss of nutrients, then great! I think Bear said in a previous post that freezing meat did NOT cause loss of nutrients.

Overcooking meat WILL cause loss of nutrients, to be sure. I cook most meat as rare as possible. Slow cooking things like roasts and ribs and chicken thighs and wings seem to be the exception. But, isn't it true that early humans would wrap and bury meat in the ground with hot coals and let the meat cook for like a day or two? Or is this just another myth? A "slow cooker" or "crock pot" is similar. Or cooking meat on low heat (like 225 degrees) in the oven, as long as it is in a covered dish. Is this really going to destroy the nutrients? If so, what is a better way to cook things like beef ribs, chicken wings, roasts, etc.?

Would sure appreciate some "tips" on this WOE. This is one way I will be able to "stop all the futzing and eat" this way!

Thanks!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Tue, Mar-28-06 at 13:03.
  #981   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 12:58

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thanks, Dean. I think I agree, and that's probably why my test results were high -- ok amount of protein, but too low on fat.

So do you think 80 grams of protein is what I should shoot for? Or does it matter if I eat more protein than this, as long as I keep the fat % up around 70-80?

I feel like I'm over-thinking this whole thing.
  #982   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 13:07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Thanks, Dean. I think I agree, and that's probably why my test results were high -- ok amount of protein, but too low on fat.

So do you think 80 grams of protein is what I should shoot for? Or does it matter if I eat more protein than this, as long as I keep the fat % up around 70-80?

I feel like I'm over-thinking this whole thing.
You need to think about this, because I think it is NOT good to consume too much protein. On the other hand, you really cannot consume too much animal fat. Sounds really odd, given all the "fat phobia" in our society, but that is how mother nature made us. You say "ok amount of protein". You said you were doing 45% protein before. That is TOO MUCH protein (so it's NOT "ok"). It would be better for you to do 20% protein, than even 30%. I think you should aim for 20-30% protein, but try to keep it closer to 20%... and aim for 70-80% fat, but try to keep it closer to 80%. If anyone disagrees, please tell me why this is not good. IMO, this is the best advice on protein/fat requirements. I think half protein/half fat in weight will give you about a 30%/70% calorie mix.

From earlier posts of Bear's:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBear
What made the 'high protein' dieters sick? That's dead simple- lack of adequate fat intake. There is actually no such thing as a 'high protein' diet, Protein does not need to be higher than 20% for health and must never go above 50%. There are, therefore, only high-carb and high-fat diets.
Quote:
My diet is usually 60% fat and 40% protein by calories. I used to eat 80/20 when younger and about twice as much quantity of meat also, but that seems too much energy at my age, which is 71- even though I am very active.
Perhaps if one just aimed at eating half fat and half meat (by weight), then they would get the "correct" amounts (about 70%/30% calorie mix).

I think on an all animal food diet, one should be much more concerned with getting too much protein, and too little fat. So, basically, eat a LOT of fat, and you will error on the side of getting enough fat, while not getting too much protein.

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Tue, Mar-28-06 at 16:08.
  #983   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 14:36

BF:

deano,
What do you do to render fat?? Do you think a butcher will give me meat fat? what about tallow? how bought lard, where do i get it?
  #984   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 14:40

BF:

Just to let you know, i am on meat and eggs and fat as of today. I am going to try and follow what Bear eats. I hope after all these pages i know what i am doing! i am using heavy cream in my morning coffee. I will invest in some palm or macadamia oil and use it sparingly, since i cant afford it, but will still use olive oil sparingly also. Bear what is the reason you wont use olive oil, sorry if you already said, this thread is so long, i cant seem to remember everything. And yes, i only buy unsalted butter! What do you think of the Mrs. Dash spices Bear? They are ok to use because there is no salt in them and no carbs, right? I might have some questions that come up over the next week as i try this new WOE. I hope i can be successful.
karen
  #985   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 15:00
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: -/-/- Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

theBear,
you said to Buy only unsalted (sweet cream) butter. what about unsalted cultured butter?
  #986   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 15:59
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom
deano,
What do you do to render fat?? Do you think a butcher will give me meat fat? what about tallow? how bought lard, where do i get it?
Karen,

Read this thread

Basically, if you go to a meat counter (or processor) and ask for kidney suet from cows or bison, they should just give you this fat, since they throw TONS of it away every day! Then, just cut into small cubes (about 1"x1") and render in the oven or on the stove top. That thread will help you out a lot.

Tallow is rendered beef/bison fat. Lard is rendered pig fat.
  #987   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 16:18

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

120 gm/day protein is low but ok but very (480 cal) low in energy. With only 50% fat, you are only consuming around 1000 cal/ day, it is the most extreme starvation-style diet I have yet heard of. You do not need to limit your calories UNTIL YOU ARE QUITE LEAN- in fact the more fat you eat, the faster you lose excess bodyfat... You can go up to 2 gm/day per pound of body weight in protein- common practice amongst body builders. You need to increase your fat to 60% or more, 80% is a common meat diet amount. At 50% you are not getting a daily amount of calories anyway I am not sure of the cause of your high BUN, but it may be you are not dumping your gall bladder completely. You should be aware that gall stones are one of the results of insufficient fat in the diet. 2000 cal at 50% fat needs 250 gm protein to balance. At 80% fat 100 gms will suit. Do your maths. Normal energy requirement is 1800 to 2500 cal/day, more if you exercise. My ballet years saw me consuming 5000/day.

Look up the percentage of fat in fish to find the figures. Many fish if bought whole have fat masses in the body cavity- which is always discarded by the cleaner due to 'fat phobia'. Buy only fresh whole fish which have deep black, velvety, glistening eyes, never cloudy or dull.

Nutrients are lost when meat reaches 104F. This is bleu. The trick is to eat the meat as raw as possible and only cook the very outer layer at a high temp for the very minimum of time to give a flavour, warm the middle slightly and sterilise the cut exposed surface- meat is otherwise sterile if not cut and opened to the air. I do not think any slow method of cooking was used in ancient days- meat was hard to get, and was eaten as soon after the kill as possible. Any uneaten meat- cooked or raw spoiled quickly. Spoiled raw meat is still safe to eat, spoiled cooked meat is not.

Europeans culture (make sour intentionally) fresh cream and make unsalted butter from it, it tastes different and will not keep as well as unsalted sweet cream butter.

Last edited by theBear : Tue, Mar-28-06 at 16:20. Reason: punct
  #988   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 16:59

BF:

Quote:
120 gm/day protein is low but ok but very (480 cal) low in energy. With only 50% fat, you are only consuming around 1000 cal/ day, it is the most extreme starvation-style diet I have yet heard of. You do not need to limit your calories UNTIL YOU ARE QUITE LEAN- in fact the more fat you eat, the faster you lose excess bodyfat... You can go up to 2 gm/day per pound of body weight in protein- common practice amongst body builders. You need to increase your fat to 60% or more, 80% is a common meat diet amount. At 50% you are not getting a daily amount of calories anyway I am not sure of the cause of your high BUN, but it may be you are not dumping your gall bladder completely. You should be aware that gall stones are one of the results of insufficient fat in the diet. 2000 cal at 50% fat needs 250 gm protein to balance. At 80% fat 100 gms will suit. Do your maths. Normal energy requirement is 1800 to 2500 cal/day, more if you exercise. My ballet years saw me consuming 5000/day.

Geez, I've been a technical writer for more than 20 years, and find I'm not communicating here well at all.

Before: Averaging 1600 calories a day -- fat 104 grams (57%), protein 121 grams (31%), carbs 20 grams (5%). This is from Fitday, and it never adds up to 100%.

Now: Averaging 1950 calories a day -- fat 158 grams (72%), protein 96 grams (20%), carbs 12 grams (4%). Again, since these are averages, it doesn't add up right.

I know I want to shoot for 80% fat and 20% protein, but I was concerned that more than 120 grams of protein was too much, and that less than 80 grams of protein was too little. (The constant here is always shooting for 80% fat).

Bear, I guess you're saying I shouldn't worry about the AMOUNT of protein I eat, AS LONG AS I'm keeping the ratios around 80% fat, 20% protein. AND, I should probably be eating at least 2000 calories a day, huh?

(PS: Is this why I'm not losing anything right now? Too few calories and not enough fat?)

Thanks for responding. You've given us all a lot to think about, and I for one am thinking A LOT!

Last edited by BawdyWench : Tue, Mar-28-06 at 17:10. Reason: added postscript
  #989   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 18:10

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Carb intake and low fat is the most likely reason for no loss. I have seen many who cannot lose past a certain point on 20 gm carbs/day. I don't see this happening on 5 gm or less.

'...Thinking a lot'.... Yes.

I think the problem here is too much thinking, and not enough acting- trust your body, not your mind, it has no acculturation. It is totally unnecessary to weigh, measure or analyse your food while on an all-meat diet. I have never done so in all my 47 years on the path.

Stefansson gave us this simple rule:...Choose a nice, marbled steak (for instance) with at least a 1/2 inch thick rim (cover) of fat. Begin by eating more of the fat than lean and eat until you feel you are losing interest in the fat, or have eaten all of it, then finish up by eating as much lean as you like until 'full'- choose a large steak- over one pound. Save the uneaten meat, if any, for a snack or part of your next meal. Soon the right sized cut of meat will become quite clear. Forget about all this fussy measuring, it will just turn eating into a tiresome chore when it should be a simple and joyful event. Other carnivorous animals don't use scales to measure their food, and the Inuit certainly didn't. Trust your body, it knows.

You see, calories are not important if you are 'obese' or over-fat, the body has a 'normal' fat percentage it will drop down to all by itself. Only if you wish to go lower than your natural set-point will you need to reduce calories to lose more BF on a high fat, zero-carb regime.

The key is to eat 'enough fat' and that is best determined while eating each meal. Measurements are pertinent only on conventional, carb- containing 'diets' which function as 'weight loss' regimes only by limiting caloric intake to less than your energy use.
  #990   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 18:27

BF:

Thanks for stating the obvious, Bear! I do tend to over-analyze things and miss the forest for the trees.

The carbs in the past couple weeks have all come from eggs, a tad bit of cheese (really not that much), and some coconut bars I made. The ingredients are a cup coconut oil, a couple scoops of whey protein powder, 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (no sugar or preservatives), a cup of unsweetened coconut, and a bit of sweetener (I use Splenda). The carbs are mostly in the unsweetened coconut.

Thanks again. It will be hard, but I'll give up all the measuring. I'll even take my food scale down and store it in the cellar!

Listen to my body, huh? Gosh, I've tried everything else, might as well try what actually makes sense!
Closed Thread