Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 12:20
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Exclamation TOTALLY off-topic question

Does anyone have any sort of UK driver-training video? My son is totally fascinated by British cars, he thinks they're "just like" his power wheelchair for some reason. (Who can understand 12-yr-old boys?)

I've done several websearches, but nothing seems to be available to me here.

Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 12:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

How about posting this in the UK forum and see if anyone responds. You might also go and ask Little Ann (find her journal under L) and post there. She is a Brownie leader in England and might be able to help steer you to the right place.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 16:05

Stats: 152/136/119 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Unfortunately English videos are different to Amercian ones.
I don't know if you'd be able to convert it.
If you can, PM me and i'll maybe able to help.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 08:46

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

Hi Potatofree

My best suggestion would be to try these UK driving school/instructor companies. They will definitly have videos just whether they are US compatible?

I would email them each and see what happens

DRM
BSM
AA

or

learn to drive a steam railway locomotive by CD

Good luck and I hope that you find something for your son.

Sarah
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 14:29
Fully Caffeinated

Thanks!
I'll look at those, and see what they have. I'm also waiting to hear back from discoverychannel.com, to see if they plan to re-air their special about a Driving school in the U.K.

Our rural mail carrier has a right-drive car (easier to reach the mailboxes on the side of the road) and has promised Steven a ride in it, so that should be his thrill for the week!

I honestly don't know what fascinates him, but he seldom shows such an interest in something outside his physical therapy, etc.. so if driving in the UK "where the cars are backwards" is his hobby, I'll find what I can! Thanks again!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 14:54

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

well good luck, and don't forget to let him know that the roads are so small over here that 2 lanes here are 1 lane over with you guys

well so my canadian family when they visited - they were all scared to death because they just couldn't understand that 2 cars could pass without hitting on this tiny road

oh and don't get my started on roundabouts

heh good luck
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 20:22
Fully Caffeinated

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahWeb
well good luck, and don't forget to let him know that the roads are so small over here that 2 lanes here are 1 lane over with you guys

well so my canadian family when they visited - they were all scared to death because they just couldn't understand that 2 cars could pass without hitting on this tiny road

oh and don't get my started on roundabouts

heh good luck

lol, The likelihood that we'll ever be in the UK, or any "backwards-driving" country is slim to none!

He got started when he watched "Keeping Up Appearances" on PBS. His fascination with cars meant Richard and Hyacinth's car caught his eye... It's become his favorite show, and he rewinds any part where they go for a drive MANY times..(Yup, he tapes them all!)

Whenever we drive anywhere, he has a toy steering wheel he plays with, copying my every move. (Good thing I remember to clean up my language when someone cuts me off)

If you think your roads are bad, you haven't driven in rural North Dakota, skirting farmers and their oversized equipment, oil trucks, and wildlife (I've killed two deer, a porcupine,a pheasant, a fox,countless rabbits, gophers and birds, had several near-misses with skunks a moose, and miscellaneous farm animals..) on a "farm-to-market" road...<shudder> I'm glad to be a "town girl" now!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 13:16

Stats: 152/136/119 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I've just had a thought. I have a digital camera i could take some pics of cars, roads, roundabouts what ever you son likes and email them to you. If he would like that just PM me with your email address.