Fit or Fat Exercise Tips from HealthCentral.com
Fun And Festive Fitness Folly
November 20, 2000
Park the car far away from the mall, take the stairs, eat lunch at your desk and walk for your break instead… blah, blah. We’ve heard these ideas for adding exercise to your days one hundred times before. Not this year! It’s time for a change! 'Tis the season to be jolly –- so how about some really fun (and a little silly) exercise tips for this winter.
1. Go Christmas caroling, but instead of strolling and sipping eggnog between each house, RUN! (D.- this will work also if you drink two BIG glasses of water before you leave. You will want to hurry to get home!)
2. Check your local listings for a holiday fitness event. Many towns have a "Jingle Bell Run" or a New Year's walk. (D.- How about the Polar Bear Dip on New Year's Day? Hey, any of you Vancouverites planning to splash about?)
3. If you plan to do some shopping at the mall –- turn it into an aerobic event. Fill up those sacks with goodies and walk with determination between shops. You’ll get in some weight-lifting hefting those big presents and some aerobic exercise just schlepping them around the mall! (D.- Standing motionless for hours in long checkout lines, weighed down with a zillion parcels is NOT aerobic activity, it is torture.)
4. Go to see the lights display at your local zoo or park. Or stroll through a neighborhood decked out with holiday decorations. What a nice way to take in the season and spend time with family.
5. Take the frozen turkey out on the lawn for some good old fashion turkey bowling! (D.- Be prepared to have the neighbours call to have the wagon take you away.)
6. Go to a Christmas tree farm where you can dig up or cut down your own Christmas tree. Oh! Feel those arms burn. (D.- And make sure you tie that sucker SECURELY to the roof of your car.)
7. Rent cross-country skis and hit the snow. If you’ve never been before –- you’re in for a fun and snowy challenge! (D.- It takes skill and practise to learn how to become vertical once again after a fall, especially with 7-ft skis attached to the ends of your legs!)
8. Play flag football with the family. You’ll discover muscles you never realized you had!
9. Try running in snow without snowshoes or skis. Now that’s a workout! (D.- Um, at least wear boots.)
10. When decorating your house for the holidays take as many trips to the attic for forgotten items. If putting up lights on the house, forget the hammer, then the nails, then the lights -– by the time your done you’ve climbed the ladder 10 times! (D.- You mean all these years I've really been doing exercise?? LOL I just thought I was forgetful.)
have a happy lowcarbin' holiday everyone,