Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-17, 05:17

Plan: LowCarb/Carnivo/Intermit
Stats: 365/279.8/190 Male 6 foot
BF:
Progress: 49%
Question How to have lower morning blood sugar?

Any ideas why my blood sugar is 120 in the morning? My last A1C was 5.4. I want to make sure it stays low in the morning. Do I need snack of something at bed time. I don't do that now. Trying to keep it as low as possible.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-17, 10:54

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

you may be experiencing Dawn Phenomenon as mentioned in this article below. I wouldn't fret too much about it. I don't think it's something you have much control over in the short term. Chive on!

https://idmprogram.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/

Here's the end of the article...

Quote:
...The Dawn Phenomenon, or higher blood sugars during fasting does not mean you are doing anything wrong. It’s a normal occurrence. It just means that you have more work to do.

Some people have normal blood sugars except for the Dawn Phenomenon. This still indicates that there is too much sugar stuffed into their liver. They need to keep burning down that sugar. It means there is much more work to be done before they are cleared of their diabetes.

Think about it this way. The Dawn Phenomenon is simply moving sugar from body stores (liver) into the blood. That’s it. If your body stores are filled to bursting, then you will expel as much of that sugar as possible. By itself it is neither good nor bad. It is simply a marker that your body has too much sugar. Solution? Simple. Either don’t put any sugar in (LCHF) or burn it off (Fasting). Even better? LCHF + IF.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-17, 15:58

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

The only thing that keeps my fbg down below 100 is not eating at night. I don't eat anything after about 3 pm. If I feel hungry I drink broth or herb tea. If I succumb to temptation & eat something, my fbg will go up - it doesn't matter what I eat.

Of course, sometimes it goes up for no discernible reason. In the last 2 weeks I've had 3 fbg readings over 100 - from 103, 114 & 116. No difference in food or exercise.

You are your own lab rat, so experiment.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-17, 22:05

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Yes and yes, I get the dawn phenomenon, and avoid eating in the evening and I exerise in the morning immediately after waking. Yes, be your own lab rat!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-17, 14:18

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 430/422/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress:

I experience the dawn phenomenon no matter when I eat at evening or night. I have found having a low carb breakfast first thing when I get up gets the BGL down pretty fast.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-17, 18:58

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Sebo
Yes and yes, I get the dawn phenomenon, and avoid eating in the evening and I exerise in the morning immediately after waking. Yes, be your own lab rat!!

I've learned that about the exercise. I don't do it that early, but before breakfast. When I was doing it after breakfast or after lunch, it was way too easy to put it off until the next day. And the next day!