Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 21:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/255/210
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Medications, Supplements and Atkins

I am going to start the Atkins' diet tomorrow. I have been on Luvox ( an SSRI like Prozac ) and Xanax for 6 years. Will this diet in anyway affect the medications? My pharmacist and doctor had no clear answers. I wouldn't think it would.

Also are supplements really needed? I know Atkins has a line of products. But I'm a bit weary on whether they are actually needed or just a marketing ploy. If they are needed, what should I take? A regular over the counter multivitamin or do I have to go to the nature store? ( Please say no to the natural store!!!! Those people always want to do something to my colon. )
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 05:59

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Question

With regard to your existing medication I am not sure how low carbing will effect them. I suspect that if these are anti depressents then in due course the low carb regime will improve your serotonin levels and mean that, on doctors advice, you can reduce your medication. Others may be able to give an answer from personal experience.

With regard to supplements. It is worthwhile taking a multivitamin, possibly combined with minerals. It is a good idea to take extra potassium, magnesium and calcium. For some chromium is also advantageous. These can be got over the counter or in you local health food store.

Every success.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:13

Plan: Doctor's Prescribed Plan
Stats: 274/169/144 Female 5' 5"
BF:60%/42%/22%
Progress: 81%

My mother was on the same medications that you listed, along with some others. Since changing her eating habits she has been able to almost eliminate all of the prescription drugs that she was taking! She needs much lower dosages of the SSRI, and doesn't even need to take the Xanax!

Just thought I'd mention this as an encouragement to you!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/255/210
BF:
Progress: 0%

Don't get me too excited! I've been dying to get off these meds for awhile. Namely the Xanax.

I guess that is just one more thing to look forward to as a result of this diet.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 08:06

Plan: Doctor's Prescribed Plan
Stats: 274/169/144 Female 5' 5"
BF:60%/42%/22%
Progress: 81%

Cygnus, at the risk of getting you REALLY EXCITED about this...not only did my mother take the Xanax...but I also had to take it during several different periods of my life...and I am completely off the Xanax as well!

(f course every person is different and you should definitely consult your doctor about your situation and everything.)

A combination of eating changs and behavior modification worked best for me. I changed some of the ways that I have been thinking about things and it enabled me to completely stop taking the medication.

I'm taking some medicine for other things...but I am sincerely hoping and praying that I will be able to stop taking those medications one day too!

I'm pulling for you!