Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-13, 07:07

Plan: Keto IF
Stats: 275/242.8/192 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Exercise in small doses several times a day

Some times it is difficult to get motivated to increase activity. Its not too hard for me to do something for 5-10 minutes several times a day. So I did a quick google to see what info on this was out there. Looks like it is fairly effective. I think it maybe a good way to start out adding activity. Here are a couple links:

http://www.peakhealthadvocate.com/9...-burn-more-fat/
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/showthread.php?t=52390
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...ut-times-three/
Short clip
Quote:
Over all, the results “are really encouraging,” he says. “For people who think that 30 minutes of exercise is too hard or takes up too much time, we can say, just do 10 minutes” three times during the day. And, conversely, if someone is tempted to dismiss a mere 10 minutes of walking as too meager to be meaningful, “it seems clear that, at least for blood pressure control, fractionized exercise is actually more effective” than a single 30-minute bout.

Other studies have found that exercising sporadically throughout the day aids in weight control, particularly for older women. It also, in a few small studies, improved aerobic fitness among previously sedentary people as much as a single, longer workout did and, as a regimen, was more likely to be maintained over the long term.

But so-called fractionized exercise has its limits. “You’re not going to make it to the Olympics” based on three 10-minute walks a day, Dr. Gaesser says. “You’ll be healthier. You won’t be an athlete.”

Last edited by joel381 : Fri, Jan-18-13 at 11:01. Reason: added clip
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-13, 09:23

BF:
Default Small doses Day1

I see some trainers believe that anything under 10minutes is not worthwhile, not sure I agree with that, so I added to my time to 11minutes on my 3rd round this morning. Each time I go down to get a cup of coffee I due a circuit of bike(trainer)/stair(stepper machine)/skiing(Nordic Trac). Was hoping to not perspire at all, however going from 8 to 11 minutes did it, just a little. It will be down to 11F outside shortly here, a little to cool.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-13, 10:08

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I think short bersts of energy is good for us and can produce results. High Intensity Interval Training, I've done it in the past, but yesterday, I jogged on and off a step for one min, then walked around the room for 1 min. I did that routine for 15 min. I felt the burn, no one is going to tell me that doesn't do anything for me. I think if you get your heart rate up a little, your doing yourself a lot of good.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-13, 10:22

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I used to do three 10 minutes walk throughout the day - and it really helped. I need to do that again!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-13, 10:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I totally agree with this. They used to encourage us to just park our cars way out in the parking lot, and do little things to get more activity, in NutriSystem years ago.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 11:47

BF:
Default Got lots of LISS time in

Quote:
I think short bersts of energy is good for us and can produce results. High Intensity Interval Training, I've done it in the past, but yesterday, I jogged on and off a step for one min, then walked around the room for 1 min. I did that routine for 15 min. I felt the burn, no one is going to tell me that doesn't do anything for me. I think if you get your heart rate up a little, your doing yourself a lot of good.
Not quite ready for the high intensisty stuff myself yet but hope to build up to it fairly soon, mid march. It's sort of fun to knowing you can still do things like that. Its tough getting old.
--

Well since the 1st post I got quite a bit of easy exercise time in and do not feel at all beat up or worse for wear & tear. Just thought to revisit thread, update my progress and offer some opinion. I feel my energy level to be higher now which is a pulse and I sure am not eating a lot.

My thoughts for someone maybe just starting out:

Low Intensity Steady State - Can include a lot of common enjoyable things.

Sounds pretty low end doesn't it, but most can tolerate it. This is important when starting out as to not get discouraged. Also not getting hurt is kind of cool too. Go easy no heavy breathing or sweating, you may loss interest.

Why do it, you gotta give the body time to adapt, many changes do take place, some require years. But when just starting out you get the most bang for the buck so to say. You maybe suprised how quickly you can do more.

Does doing a ton help much for weight loss, not really, maybe an extra 1.5# for an investment of 20hrs/week. You would have to have something else in mind to do that much, I wouldn't recommend it.

So what might little does do, several times a day?
1)Give you time to rest between little events
2)You may be able to encourage your body to release some of its precious fuel YMMV
3)Build up to where you can encourage release again YMMV
4)I think you will know when 3 happens

Of course always consult with your certified professonal....
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 14:14

Plan: Basic LCHF
Stats: 250/180/180 Male 68 inches
BF:38%/14%/14%
Progress: 100%

Energy burned is energy burned; it will help with the weight loss, and the weight loss can artificially move your health marker numbers.... but with short bouts you aren't likely to get much improvement in conditioning or insulin resistance that the longer, higher output sessions can do.

But above all, do what you can; don't let perfect stand in the way of improvement.