Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 18:55

Plan: SBD + Exercise
Stats: 218/211/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Unhappy calcium upsets tummy?

Ever since having my gallbladder removed, I haven't been able to take my calcium supplement, as it would make me feel a little nauseaous (sp?) for a short time after consuming them.

I just purchased a protein shake, and found out the hard way, that one of the many proteins in it is: calcium caseinate (listed 2nd in the protein list).

Within an hour after drinking the shake, which tasted wonderful, I was nauseaous, and not just a little. I didn't feel better until 5 hours later. Also, there was a great deal of stomach gas-burps from the deep.

Can someone explain this to me? Is there anything I can do to allow my system the consumption of calcium without feeling ill?
BTW, dairy products don't bother me at all-well, sometimes if consumed late in the evening.

Thanks for any help, I really liked the taste of my new shake and have an unopened can of the chocolate peanut butter I was really looking forward to.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 06:48

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

KT, I'm going to leave this one to the experts ( Jump in anytime, Do!) but I can tell you from experience that calcium carbonate is really hard on the tummy. The chelated types of calcium (such as calcium citrate) are much kinder - they are also better apsorbed. Perhaps this is the case with the protein powder? I will do some searching.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 19:02

BF:
Default I jumped to the wrong conclusion!

I am in serious discomfort as I type this. For my 4th meal today, aobut 4:30 PM, I had 3 oz of chopped turkey w/ 1/2 cup of a triple berry mix. (raspberry, marionberry, & blueberry). By 5:30 PM I had dropped my son off at his baseball game (instead of staying to watch ) ran to Rite-Aid for some tums and hurried for home in case the need for the toilet became too much.

The tums has eased the nausea some, but thinking about berries...wait, don't go there. I also feel headachy and yet a bit light headed at the same time. Additionally, there is a sensation of my face being flushed, but it is neither red nor warm. Oh, I hate this feeling.

I guess it was the berries yesterday, and not the new shake mix. I'm not sure when I will have the courage to try the shake again. Two days in a row of this is enough for a long time!

Nat, I'm still interested if you happened to find anything on the calcium issue. I did a little browsing today online, but didn't see anything about intolerances. Have you heard of intolerance to berries before? I've always thought I had an "iron gut" (not talking about muscles ) I am not up on food tolerances at all.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 19:58
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

hi KT,

Your most recent post just answered a question for me. When I read your other post earlier, I was thinking that calcium itself is actually soothing to the stomach ... and it's the main ingredient in Tums and Rolaids However, the supplement tablets will have fillers, often a stearate of some kind, and that may be the culprit. As well, calcium carbonate, which Nat mentioned, is poorly absorbed ... in fact the tablets (which are enormous) are difficult to dissolve. So it may be that the pill is causing upset because it's not dissolving completely. The only known side effect from calcium supplementation is constipation. Since it's usually combined in the same pill with magnesium (which is laxative) .. they balance each other.

Caseinate may be a problem .... not because of the calcium, but because casein is the allergenic protein of milk and dairy products. It's less expensive and less quality than isolated whey protein, which has all the casein filtered out. Many persons with dairy intolerance can digest pure isolated whey protein just fine. Note that casein can also be found in foods in the form of sodium caseinate too.

The best way to test for a food intolerance is to go without the suspected food or foods for at least a week. Then, have a serving of just one food .. and monitor for symptoms. Usually you will notice within an hour or two. Keep a record. If you suspect several foods, only test one food per day. Some people find that they can enjoy a food once in a while, but if they have it two days in a row .. bang! they have a reaction. I am that way with grains, except barley to which I have a strong reaction any time

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 20:12
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb

I just checked .. and Dr. Atkins does discuss Food Intolerances in New Diet Revolution, chapter 14 in the 1999 edition (blue cover). I'm sure it's also covered in his newest edition, as it's a serious issue with weight control and diet-related illness.

Actually, here's the search results page for "food intolerance" from the Atkins official website, atkinscenter.com.

Hope there's something helpful for you

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 22:04

BF:

Doreen,
Thank you very much for your input and research. Trust me when I say giving up berries for awhile won't be a problem

The read on food intolerances was very informative. It kinda makes me wonder if every time I don't feel right (emotionally or physically), maybe it's something I eat?

I will probably try the shake tomorrow evening (no berries ). That way if I do have a reaction, at least I can go to bed and sleep it off.

Have you heard of an intolerance to berries? Is it possible they could be bad? It hardly seems so, as they were frozen and slow thawed in the fridge overnight. I double checked the ingredients and the only items listed are: blueberries, marion blackberries, and raspberries. I have always enjoyed the latter two and figured I could "tolerate" the bluberries in the mix, especially a fruit smoothie. Oh, well.

Again many thanks for sharing your expertise. It is so nice to have a place to go and have puzzling questions answered.

Good evening,
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-05-02, 08:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default some supplements shouldn't be taken on an empty stomach...

and I beleive that calcium is one of them. The bottle that I have suggests that it be taken after a meal, not before. I can only assume that it's because it's much better tolerated with food in your stomach. My Gluchophage was the same way. If I took it after a meal, I was fine. If I took it on an empty stomach, I was running for the bathroom in 30 minutes or less.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-05-02, 10:12
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb

from Medline ...
Quote:
... This dietary supplement is best taken 1 to 1½ hours after meals , unless otherwise directed by your health care professional. However, patients with a condition known as achlorhydria may not absorb calcium supplements on an empty stomach and should take them with meals.

... Do not take calcium supplements within 1 to 2 hours of taking other medicine by mouth . To do so may keep the other medicine from working properly.

... Do not take calcium supplements within 1 to 2 hours of eating large amounts of fiber-containing foods, such as bran and whole-grain cereals or breads, especially if you are being treated for hypocalcemia (not enough calcium in your blood) . Fiber inhibits the absorption of calcium.
Redness, flushing, nausea are listed as side effects, but specifically with a large dose taken at once, and most likely to occur with the IV injectible form of calcium.

Doreen