Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1037   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 23:43
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 336/297/140 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
I used a whole stick of butter!

I tip of the hat to you Deano. You are the man!
  #1038   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 23:43

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
Karen,

One thing that ALWAYS helps me when I am having carb cravings is eating some cheese. Just a bit of it is all I need. I have even resorted to eating a spoonful of straight cream cheese... and I was totally satisfied and all the hunger pangs just stopped. Try this and see how it goes.

ok Deano i will try some cheese next time it happens!
How many days will i be having these cravings before they stop? I hope this carb withdrawal doesnt last too many days. Maybe today was the worst of it if i am lucky! I am feeling much better tonight and not having the cravings like earlier today. I drank lots of water and i think it helped!
  #1039   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 23:45

BF:

Deano,
LOL..i could barely eat the 5 eggs in my egg-which..what possessed you to make it with 7 ?? LOL
  #1040   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 23:46

BF:

Hi Rob!
How are you doing? Did you have carb withdrawals and cravings when you started your carnivore eating?
karen
  #1041   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 23:46

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Sorry, close but no cigar: Cracklin's are the name of a specific item, pieces of (salted) deep fried pork rind (skin). It is a popular snack item in the American deep south (...zero-carb 'chips'?).

Crispies are the crunchy bits of greasy tryed-out connective tissue left over from rendering suet into tallow.

20 oz is a full Imperial pint- quite a hefty drink. Where can you find cups that size?

20 oz of which 'coffee'? Espresso: Short black? Long black? Weak/strong Melitta(paper)/Swissgold filter? Plunger? Turkish? Americano (latte using cream)?

My morning cuppa is half a 'double' size basket short espresso with steamed cream/water. Volume is about 6 oz. May eventually have to go over to strong Aussie tea w/cream, however....

Last edited by theBear : Wed, Mar-29-06 at 23:52. Reason: sp.
  #1042   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 23:48
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom
ok Deano i will try some cheese next time it happens!
How many days will i be having these cravings before they stop? I hope this carb withdrawal doesnt last too many days. Maybe today was the worst of it if i am lucky! I am feeling much better tonight and not having the cravings like earlier today. I drank lots of water and i think it helped!
Karen,

YES... first drink ice water when you are "hungry for junk" and see if that helps! And, if after several days, you ever have "carb cravings"... I would simply ask yourself "have I been eating enough animal fat?"... and then GO EAT SOME ANIMAL FAT! You'll be just fine after this... really you will.

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Wed, Mar-29-06 at 23:56.
  #1043   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 23:48

BF:

Bear, here in america they sell 44 oz Big Gulps at the 7-11..and all the fast food places have these drinks too...BIG CUPS are common round here. MOst places you go for coffee also sell 20 oz coffees! lol
  #1044   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 23:57
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 336/297/140 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom
Hi Rob!
How are you doing? Did you have carb withdrawals and cravings when you started your carnivore eating?
karen

Yes I did at first. Deano is right though, animal fat will fill you up. I also think part of it is mental. Sometimes I find myself eating just to eat, but if I get enough fat I don't really think about it and just go about doing what I was doing. For me at least when I started preparing meat like Bear suggested that helped to. Meat that is raw is very sweet, doesn't get in my teeth, and I swear it starts breaking down in your mouth, just like butter.

I had some rare (slightly pink) london broil that wasn't cooked by me and it it was like leather.
  #1045   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:01

BF:
Progress:

Big gulps (sweet soda), perhaps, but two and a half (kitchen measuring) cups of coffee in one vessel? I am sorry... a bit hard to swallow(!). The last time I was stateside was in 02, and I never ran across that. However I would not put any weird trip past Starbucks. Who would want to drink cold coffee? A standard 8 oz cuppa gets a bit cool near the bottom, unless you chug it down- which sort of spoils the nice sipping time we all have with our precious, steamy fluid
  #1046   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:09

BF:
Progress:

Ooof! 7 eggs is too many- stick to 5 or even 4. A couple of tablespoons of butter (one on bottom, one on top) will suffice. (~1/4 of a 4 oz stick). Eggwichs are to be eaten immediately while nice and hot- they don't make it as leftovers.
  #1047   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:19
Registered Member

You can either buy a 16oz coffee, or a 20oz coffee, or a 24oz coffee. That is small, medium, large in every place you go. As Karen said... this is America! Everything here is "super-sized". But, a 4 cup coffee maker is going to make about 20oz of coffee. That is what I use at home. That may be "too much" coffee. But, I have never heard that it will create insulin releases. That sucks! First I was going to give up java cuz I did not want to drink the cream (no dairy on Paleo, you know). Now, I've gotta give it up cuz it is causing insulin release. Boy, you just can't have ANY fun around here, now can ya?
  #1048   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:20

BF:
Progress:

Cravings are mental, not physical. They are your acculturation calling out to you. It is not due to carbs or stopping/lack of carbs. It does not have an 'expiry time. No matter what you eat or don't eat, these urges will only go away after you manage to totally accept the food you eat, i.e., what you know is the right food, is enough.

It reminds me of the story of Don Quixote and the windmill.
  #1049   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:25

BF:
Progress:

Dean, get yourself a small cup-top Swissgold filter. This is what I use on a short overnight trip when I don't want to carry along the little roadcase with my Rancilio Miss Sylvia (the very best small espresso machine made).
  #1050   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBear
Ooof! 7 eggs is too many- stick to 5 or even 4. A couple of tablespoons of butter (one on bottom, one on top) will suffice. (~1/4 of a 4 oz stick). Eggwichs are to be eaten immediately while nice and hot- they don't make it as leftovers.
I only ate 3 1/2 eggs though. Didn't make it just for me. And I like butter! Are you becoming fat phobic in your old age?

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Thu, Mar-30-06 at 02:38.
  #1051   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:32
Registered Member

Quote:
Dean, get yourself a small cup-top Swissgold filter. This is what I use on a short overnight trip when I don't want to carry along the little roadcase with my Rancilio Miss Sylvia (the very best small espresso machine made).
So, you are saying (in a round about way) that it is NOT good to drink 20oz of coffee? Boy... most people think I drink a very small amount of coffee. They are drinking the stuff all day! And, they are drinking like 10oz minimum at a shot! I wouldn't want to do that. I would rather just give it up anyway. I was only doing it for a "treat"... pretty much to help me get away from junk food. I have gone over two years without caffeine, and it was no big deal. Why do you think you "need" it, anyway?
Sponsored Links
  #1052   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:36

BF:
Progress:

That much excess butter during cooking either stays in the pan or is spattered out. Very little is absorbed by the eggs. The residual butter left in the pan has been damaged by the heat. If you want more butter, add it on top- on your plate.

Butter is not a simple fat, it is a mixture of fats and waxes. It does not handle high temperature well, and decomposes. The byproducts of decomposition are hard to digest. This problem can be ameliorated to some extent by adding some mac-nut oil- when frying fish, for instance.
  #1053   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:43

BF:
Progress:

I don't 'need' coffee, I just like it- a nicely fresh-roasted creamy Americano (cappuccino with steamed cream/water mix) espresso drink tastes just lovely. I am quite happy with my half cup of a morning. I drink a lot of water.

I do like caffeine a lot, but it is easy to get it without coffee. Decaf coffee to me is as repulsive a concept as a vegan's lunch.
  #1054   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:44
Registered Member

Quote:
two and a half (kitchen measuring) cups of coffee in one vessel? I am sorry... a bit hard to swallow(!).
I have to agree with you there. But, that is NOT what I drink. I have three relatively small cups of coffee in ceramic cups... not the Styrofoam cups that you are thinking about... that is what is sold, though, all over the place. Nowhere I would ever frequent though, sorry. I like to savor the coffee too, thank you. I guess I should just drink one of these. But, alas, I must be a coffee junkie. Just kidding. I am nothing of the kind. A lot of people drink cup after cup all day... there are many coffee junkies here in America. We never sleep. Have you ever read the book Lights Out?

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Thu, Mar-30-06 at 01:54.
  #1055   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:48
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't 'need' coffee, I just like it- a nicely fresh-roasted creamy Americano (cappuccino with steamed cream/water mix) espresso drink tastes just lovely. I am quite happy with my half cup of a morning. I drink a lot of water.

I do like caffeine a lot, but it is easy to get it without coffee. Decaf coffee to me is as repulsive a concept as a vegan's lunch.
No, I wasn't asking why you "need" coffee. I was asking why you "need" caffeine. You say you like it? As a stimulant? Do you think it is good to do it? I have tried to avoid it in the past, cuz I heard it was not good for you. But, who knows? I thought a bit with nice tasting java in the morning would be OK. Who knows, though.
  #1056   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:51

BF:
Progress:

People eat and drink all sorts of things ...all day long.

"You must avoid following the Lead-Sheep at all costs."

"Only the Goat knows where he is going and what we should all eat/drink."

"Yes, I am a Capricorn, why do you ask?"

Caffeine is actually a very beneficial substance- See a previous posting about it. Aspirin is likewise good.

I don't 'need' anything, but I like a lot of things.

Last edited by theBear : Thu, Mar-30-06 at 00:55. Reason: add
  #1057   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:55
Registered Member

Quote:
"Yes, I am a Capricorn, why do you ask?"
Yah... I'm one too. So was Jesus... and Mao, come to think of it. Just a joke... don't go "cracklin" up on me!

And, you do "need" some things to stay alive, I would think.

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Thu, Mar-30-06 at 02:40.
  #1058   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:57

BF:

well i drink 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning (6-12 ozs)..i love coffee, i love the taste of coffee, but i am not a coffee junkie like lots of people i know. My husband drinks atleast 6 cups a day..sometimes more! My sister in law drinks coffee from the time she wakes up till she goes to bed! Starbucks Grande (medium) coffee is in a 20 oz cup!! i like starbucks coffee, i go there once a week with hubby for a treat!
Bear, do you cook your steaks and other meat with butter, lard, suet, or all of the above?
  #1059   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:57

BF:
Progress:

A good shepherd always puts a few goats amongst his sheep to lead them to the good pasture and safely back home again,
  #1060   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:59
Registered Member

Well, if caffeine is "good for you"... and coffee causes insulin release... that SUCKS! Cuz, hot coffee in the morning is pretty good stuff!
  #1061   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 00:59

BF:

Deano,
one good reason to drink atleast 1 cup of coffee every day is it makes you "regular"...
  #1062   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 01:00

BF:
Progress:

I cook with the fat of the meat being cooked.

I never eat anything from a pig, including lard.

Butter must be used at low temps, see earlier post.
  #1063   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 01:00

BF:

Quote:
A good shepherd always puts a few goats amongst his sheep to lead them to the good pasture and safely back home again,

i feel like i am in a religion class!!
  #1064   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 01:01

BF:

i like pigs!!
Closed Thread