Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 13:46
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%
Post Basal metabolism and counting calories.

Thanks to another thread here in the forum , another member mentioned some stuff about possible slow weight loss due to eating beyond their recommended caloric intake. I realize most people on Atkins don't need to count calories..but I on the other hand am thinking I just may. Which is fine...I just didn't understand how i would figure this number out. And I also didn't understand this stuff about basal metabolism and lifestyle and activity on the fitday page for your activities. I have never done any of this before so I am completely lost sometimes.
Well thank-you frecklefluf because the link you sent me was a God send
and I saw that I was eating on most days 500 to 1000 calories or more
over my basal metabolic need. EEEEEEEK!!!!!
I did notice too, however, on the days where I was close to my basal
caloric requirement my carbs sat somewhere in between 10 and 15 for the dayAm having a lot of trouble keeping my menu straight.
I also read on that site that I should maybe count all sugar alcohols a well. I tasted my first Advantage Bar today..had 1/8 of a bar. Do most people really just count the 2 net grams? Because I took from that post you should count the total carbs minus the fiber and thats it. So one bite of that bar ..being about 1/8th would be about 2 and 1/2 grams? If the total carbs are 21. Anyone care to share their vast knowledge of lc'ing? I am btw just entering my 5th week of strict induction.

Last edited by bcbeauty : Mon, Mar-22-04 at 14:25.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 14:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I count calories. I'm trying to stay around 1500. I think that gets me about .5 a pound a week weightloss. I don't eat bars because for me, the satisfaction versus the calories is small. I'd rather eat something else that is sticks with me longer.

I had 1/8th of a low carb chocolate bar last night and was in some mega-ketosis this morning. But my calories for the day yesterday was far less than usual. I think you just need to figure out for yourself how to handle sugar alcohols. I typically don't use them much, except for tiny fragments of chocolate ocassionally.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:10
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

While there are a few ways to figure out your resting metabolic rate online I find that the only way to really know is to get it tested. There is this device called the bodygem http://www.herbrep.com/bodygem.htm Its very expensive, but most gyms around here have one or something similar and for $10 they will test your RMR for you.

I found that my metabolism was MUCH slower than where it should be due to all the starvation diets I put myself through over the years and this helped me understand where I am and how many calories my body specifically needs since its different for everyone.

I can also see how my metabolism has speeded up over time now that I am working on getting my system back to normal.

There are a lot of factors that can go into finding what your RMR is including but not limited to past diet history, lean muscle mass, smoking, caffeine intake and genetics. Some people just naturally have faster metabolisms than others. The online tests usually show an average which can work for some but not for most people that I know.

Also keep in mind that how your body processes certain foods may be different. I know if I am sick and dont eat for a few days, I will almost always gain weight. If I eat high carb low cal I will gain weight. Its just how my personal body works. These are all things we need to figure out for ourselves.

As for the Bars. I count half the amount of sugar alcohols as carbs, since SAs are PARTIALLY digested. They still work like carbs and too many will knock me out of ketosis.

I fully subtract fiber, because that goes right through you. I also try and keep SAs to a minimum and use them as treats for special occasions only.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:16
Memere to 4

Thank you both for replys.

My Journey is your RMR the same as your basal metabolic rate? I was given this link from frecklefluf:
http://www.countcarbs.com/advice/LC...s_WhatGives.htm
This is where I came up with the approximation of calories I should be consuming.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:43

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Wow, mine comes out to 1970 calories per day - I couldn't imagine that.

Vikki
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:51

Stats: 120/112/105 Female 5.1
BF:unsure
Progress: 53%

Hi everyone...
I know that is not such a popular belief around here, but I also count calories still. When I first started atkins I felt like I was stuffing myself and almost abusing a great way of eating so I started using fitday and counting calories. Many people believe that calories don't matter, but they did and still do for me. The best thing about low carb is that you seem to get more bang for your buck as far as calories and carbs go.

My biggest problem is the sugar alcohols found in advantage bars and other lc products. I have been trying to make it my goal to count them as net carbs no matter what the package says; Mostly because I'm sure they stall me.

I just tried to check my RMR and I was wondering if you all think that is right for you? I think it was a bit off for me, but not sure.

Jenn
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 16:05
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I have to count calories as well, since I'm near goal weight. I've had to adjust them as I've continued to lose.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 18:30
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I wouldn't take an online calculator as gospel. Your activity level and lean weight can result in a higher metabolism and basal rate. Also past diet history, genetics and many other factors come into play. It can give you a starting point, but form there it will probably be amatter of experimentation to see what works for you and doesn't leave you starving or wanting to explode.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 18:40
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

They are technically slightly different but most places use them interchangeably.

Here is a clip about it so you can understand them better.

Quote:
What are basal and resting metabolic rates (RMR)?
These two terms are used interchangeably, although they are not technically the same. Resting metabolic rate is really what most lay people mean when they say basal metabolic rate, and I talk here only about resting metabolic rate (RMR). Basal metabolic rate is a precise calculation with a precise definition; RMR is close enough for practical purposes.
Resting metabolic rate is the energy required by an animal to stay alive with no activity. Therefore, your real metabolic rate is always significantly higher than your RMR. Calculating RMR is a very useful first step in calculating your real metabolic rate.

Your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) is one of the main contributing components of energy expenditure (around 70%).

Your metabolic rate = your resting metabolic rate (easy to calculate reasonably accurately) + energy consumed by your daily activities (must guestimate).

What determines Resting Metabolic Rate?
A very small number of people have physical conditions that give them strange resting metabolic rates.
However, for the vast majority of people, resting metabolic rate can be calculated knowing a few key variables. They are age, sex, weight, height and fat-free body mass. Fat-free mass is a very important variable. Weight and height are used in one formula to determine body surface area.

Things that affect your Metabolic Rate.....

Muscle - More muscle increases your RMR.
Age - Your RMR decreases with Age A decrease in your RMR can be due to genetics.
The Weather - Living in a cold enviroment can increase your RMR. I know this sounds strange but you expend more energy while moving around in cold weather. It's a alot easier to move around in summer but more of an effort to "get going" in winter.
Meals - Small regular meals will increase your RMR.
Pregnancy - It can increase your RMR.
Crash Dieting - It will decrease your RMR.
Supplements - Some supplements can raise your RMR.

When does the body change Resting Metabolic Rate? Does cutting your food intake reduce resting metabolic rate?
The body CAN NOT change resting metabolic rate per unit of fat-free body mass. Studies have shown this.
Your resting metabolic rate will decrease as you lose muscle. Losing fat alone will not lower your RMR (and note that you will need to follow a very sensible program to lose fat without losing muscle). You have probably heard that people who go on crash diets end up lowering their metabolic rate, which means when they go off the diet, they put on fat more easily than before they started. This is because they have lost muscle, they have lowered their metabolic rate. However, the amount of energy burnt per unit of fat-free weight does not change; poor dieters end up with fewer units of fat-free weight, and that's where their vicious cycle comes from.

Are some people's digestive systems more efficient than others?
No. And your system does not become more or less efficient in response to changing food intake. Even obese people rarely have more efficient bodies. Researchers inspect the energy value of feces to determine this.
Given the same values for the variables, how much does resting metabolic rate vary between people?
In other words, what is the error in the formulas used to calculate RMR?
The latest research indicates there is a low variance in RESTING metabolic rate between individuals who have the same values for the key variables. That is, given someone's age, their fat free mass, their height and their sex, the formulas are accurate.

"Recent evidence thus supports the conclusion that within-subject variations in BMR [more or less the same as RMR] are small and insignificant, even when energy intake and physical activity are uncontrolled, (Shetty & Soares, 1988). This effectively refutes the Sukhatme-Margen hypothesis."

The link you showerd will actually tell you your resting metabolic rate RMR... same thing as the calculator on this site http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calrmr.htm or hundreds of others. You want to know how many calories your body will burn just to perform its daily functions. There are more things that factor in than what was listed and thats why the only way to know for certain is to use something like the bodygem and get tested. At least that will be far more accurate.

These calculators can serve as general guidelines or some people say 10-12 calories per pound. If you want to be exact the only way to know for certain is to get a test done, but if you feel that your system is 'normal' just use the calculation you get and follow that, or some even say plug in your goal weight and just keep your calories below that amount or 10-12 calories per pound of your goal weight.

I wouldnt worry too much about it, keep calories in the back of your mind, but dont obsess over them and just take it easy :-)

Hope that cleared things up for you a bit and helped.

MJ
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 19:28
Registered Member

Stats: 142/133/120 Female 5' 5"
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

Well I went to both links above & found that my RMR is pretty much the same. It says I should consume about 1400 calories daily. This really is turning into such a headache for me!!! I thought this was all about carbs but now I am beating myself up cause over the last four days my calories have increased & my carbs have decreased. For example, on March 19th I ate 1386 calories & 15 carbs but on March 22nd I ate 2148 calories & 10 carbs. The only thing I did differently today as opposed to last Friday was more fat in the form of mayo and cream cheese. I also didn't have my typical salad for lunch. Could somebody have a look at my fitday journal & tell me what day looks best? I can scroll through to see what needs to change & what needs to be eliminated to do the right thing!!!

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...Owner=acoffield

Please help before I overwhelm myself & give up completely!!! This diet is consuming my life and trying to figure it out is just too much!!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 19:43
Memere to 4

Thanks MJ that did explain a lot!

Bon Jovi fan, Please don't give up. Not everyone needs to worry at all about calories on this woe. As a matter of fact from what I've read only a small percentage do ...so relax.. you are so close to goal . If you are on a stall just remember the lbs come off slower in the end.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 20:43
Registered Member

Stats: 142/133/120 Female 5' 5"
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

bcbeauty,

The last time I tried Atkins (last spring - fall), I remember my weight loss being slow & my best friend commenting on how long it was taking me to lose the weight. I just told her I wasn't just trying this diet to lose weight but rather to learn how to eat more healthy foods AND lose weight without diet pills or starving myself to death, as she has tried both & has lost NOTHING (actually, she gained). In the end I made it to my goal weight but I never used fitday & never ever paid attention to calories. I've NEVER counted calories in my whole entire life. Now I am left to wonder if the calories were what kept me from losing very quickly the first time OR if I had such a small amount to lose that it wouldn't come off as quickly as I would have liked. I only lost 20 or so pounds and that was enough for me. This time around I am trying to do it by the book with no cheating, using fitday, paying attention to what I put in my mouth, drinking nothing but water, taking my vitamins, etc. I just don't need one more thing to stress over, i.e. calories, so if I can catch that little *something* now, maybe I'll save myself a headache later.

Angie